Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found this site by accident a week or so ago and feel like i have let my family down by not being up on keeping them alive in case of trouble (shtf) i thank God that i came here and have begun my education. Thank you all!

right now our shelves and fridge might and i say might get us by for a week...there is 8 of us...so after i come here i feel like i am waaaaaay behind...

i plan on going to Sams tommorrow with my wife and stocking up...besides soups and canned beans what should i get???

through the posts i have garnered that i shoud get...

flour

rice

beans

powdered milk

canned soups, veggies, meats....canned items that i should cycle through

what else should i start with?????

if you had 500 dollars to spend what would you buy to sustain your family?

thank you all in advance...like i said i have been on here reading a week or so and everyone seems to go out of their way to help out their brother and sister.

·
Simple Man
428 Posts
Your definatly on the right track. I think $500 at one time might be a bit much (though I just spent $200 just last week on canned soups alone), but if you can afford it, I guess it wouldn't hurt. You can make one large purchase to start and then buy an extra $10 to $20 every week of the stuff you already buy. Canned goods, rice and ammo (for hunting) are my usual purchases. You might want to think about purchasing some seeds for a garden.

Just take a deep breath. Sit down with your wife and make a list of how much you want to keep on hand at a given time and what types of food to buy. If you have kids like I do, I buy a lot of Ravioli. Kids like it.

Reactions: family man

·
Registered
687 Posts
Start by getting some of the stuff you already eat, as long as it in non-perishable. Then come up with substitutes for things that are perishable like canned evaporated milk to replace milk. Ingredients to make bread instead of bread, powdered eggs or a chicken coup instead of eggs. eat one save one, until you have a comfortable supply built up, then rotate and replace. When you use something, write it down and replace it the next time you go to the store, using the oldest first.

If I had 500 dollars I would go to a discount store like aldi's and get canned goods and dry goods, flour, pastas, sugar, flour.

Sit down with the main shopper of your household and figure out what you use in a week, month, year and start there. Set small goals to work toward, instead of getting supplied for a year, get an extra week, then work toward a month, then a year, however long until you feel it's enough. I have known people who could live comfortably (not changing their lifestyle) for over 5 years before they would need to resupply.

I live in the country with access to 2400 acres. I don't keep that much food on hand, but I do keep seeds and equipment to can what we grow. It has been quite awhile since I ate meat from the store, but I'm able to shoot deer and generally eat that instead.

Alot will depend on your situation. An apartment dweller can't put in a garden, but can grow plants in the house in pots/buckets. You can even get into hydroponic gardening (no dirt). If you want to check that out pick up a copy of High Times, (I know, I Know) Those potheads have turned Hydroponics into an art and it contains adds for suppliers of gardening equipment.

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
My .02

This is the same advice I would give anyone trying to figure out how much they need to have in stock. Keep a diary of the food, water, TP, hygeine stuffs and anything else your family uses for a month. This will give you an idea of what kind of preps you need to keep your family fed. Then consider things like life, by either candles, lanters or even flashlight. Remember for anything that uses batteries, you need an ample (2x # of batteries you use) RECHARGEABLE. Don't forget a solar battery charger. Also, how to you cook, may need a bar-b-q and as much propane as you can get.

AND, LEARN as many BASIC skills as you can.

Don't feel you are starting later or behind the curve here, you are ahead of most people by your realizing you need, want and are willing to do what is take to prepare for IF things go very bad in the future.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
do you own a gun if no why. what ever your reason if you said no to the first question forget the reason you had and go buy a gun you have 500 dollars yes food is good but if you don't have a means to keep people who are staving form taking your food then your gonna be SOL then get your food. when you drink all the milk outta the jug rince clean fill with water store it away outta light

·
TrailBlazer
734 Posts
yes food is good but if you don't have a means to keep people who are staving form taking your food then your gonna be SOL then get your food.
LOL do your realize how ridiculous that statement was? If he has a gun and no food, then what you have is a starving person with a gun.

I would recommend to get a cheap shotgun(try the Mav.88) and some ammo, then go ahead and spend the rest on food and supplies. Should have 300-200 left over for food and thats a pretty good start. (bags of beans and rice are cheap!Get spices to add flavor too!)Then every week add to your collection. Good luck~!:thumb:

Reactions: family man

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Unless you would use flour quickly don't buy a ton of it.
It gets rancid.
Buy what you already eat in the way of non perishables now.
Especially things you may not need to cook if your power/gas were interrupted.
Don't put water in milk containers for drinking, you are asking for bacterial issues even if you clean them out well.
Just don't.
If you can buy a water filter and some 5 gallon containers.
My wife and I just got home from the 99¢ store and bought a grocery cart full of things like canned tuna, spaghetti sauce, canned vegetables, chili, BBQ sauce, cardboard tubes of iodized salt, corned beef, vienna sausages and a whole cart of fresh vegetables for about $100.

+2 get a gun and training if you don't have one(or 8) already.

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
A good place to start is a 72 hour emergency kit with extra attention to food and water.
To keep your family from thinking you have gone off the deep end, show them the ready.gov site and explain it's prudent to be prepared.
http://www.ready.gov
A Ruger 10/22 and lots of 22lr ammo would be an economical start for a firearm that anyone in the family could learn to shoot.
Then get the familiy into camping and use that as justification for additional purchases of supplies. Keeping the secret that your motivations are for survival preparation will save you a lot of raised eyebrows and help you maintain a low profile.
Law #1...Don't tell anyone your survival prepping.

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
My .02

If your getting alot of food ... make sure you can package it and store it. I agree with the 72 hour kit. Also look into first-aid kits. Read read read. A good knife is a must. Get as many multi use items as possible .. theres a huge thread on that.
When it boils down to it .... the knowledge found here on this site is more valuable than gold IMO. If you read and learn and practice everything you can find here .... you could survive without spending a penny ..... that being said comfort is key so start with a months supplies. Invest in solid purchases and dont cheap out as a good generator, knife or first aid kit could make all the diffrence.

Happy to have you abord and God bless! :thumb:

·
protecter
28 Posts
always increase your knowledge.if you have a "prep" and dont know how to use it,it not good.buy what you need.but dont go all out.i have a can opener in my bob,but me and my kids have p-38s on our key rings.the girls no how to use them,but if they didnt.......thats what i mean by not good.
know how to make/start things from scratch.
i cant say its never to late to start preping,but at least your concerend and thinking about it.
i like to think in "ok kids,we gotta go now and have 10 mins to load the truck.make it happen" mind set.
hope this helps and remember,we are here to help.
the only stupid question is one that is not asked.
tom

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was going to say Aldi's too. I saw it mentioned. I have been pricing alot of stuff. Sam's tends to have higher end brands which makes it a bit more expensive to purchase a 25 lb bag of sugar than buying 5 - 5 lb bags at Aldi's.

Walgreens have great sales too. It is a game with me. This weekend Walgreens has a $5 off coupon you can print from their website for any purchase of $20. That is a 25% savings. Walgreens has a lot of staple stuff too. It is all about savings for me, and DH is on board with that now too.

Not sure if I saw peanut butter on your list but that is important. Jiff seems to have the longest expire date. Don't know why might be the sugar added.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts