Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so yesterday a very pregnant woman came to the door speaking very limited english and asking if i wanted my yard mowed. And I did, Ive been meaning to find a lawn service and I felt like this might be like a sign or something. So her husband begins to mow the grass and she goes and sits in the car (this is Texas) So i tell her to come inside and she takes a 2 year old little girl from the back seat and comes in. (now I'm really glad I made her come inside) anyways, by the time they left I had agreed to have them both back over on Saturday for him to mow the back and her to clean.

I just felt really bad, these people are very very poor and I wanted to help. Then, all of a sudden after they had left, I realized that they, most likely, are illigal immigrants. which I do not want to support.

Dilema #1
I really do need the lawn help, I'm a single mom and my son is too little to leave in the house alone and too little to be in the yard while I'm pushing a mower. He naps mid-day but in texas in the summer I seriously fear for my health. By the time he goes to bed its dark and not very neighborly to be running a mower at that time. this guy does it for $20.

Dilema #2
I want to help them. Although she really couldn't speak any english I feel like we sorta connected and our kids are the same age so they played together. The little girl was very excited when I showed her the playroom. I don't think she has a lot of toys at home.

Dilema #3
I can't really afford having them clean and mow on a regular basis. And I don't want to get in trouble for hiring illegal aliens. The liability of having the little girl here scares me too. All in all, I don't know these people well, and I dont want to be sued. (the cat nipped at her yesterday) which brings me to dilema #4

Dilema #4
my food storage room. Its coming along quite nicely! But its not exactly the safest room in the house, I've re-arranged the modules to be much more sturdy but its a good room for a faked or ligitimate accident. I don't need a 50 lb bucket of rice falling or "falling" on a pregnant woman. The other thing is that they're poor and I have a freaking grocery store in my spare bedroom. I'm not really worried about them stealing my preps, if you can conceal a 5 gallon bucket under your shirt you can have it :) and the metals are well hidden. I just don't want to flaunt the fact that I have excess when they probably are just scraping by. I also don't want a whole lot of poeple knowing what I have. But if i ask her not to go in that room, wouldn't that just make it more tempting to at least look inside?

HALF OF ME WANTS TO TAKE CARE OF THESE PEOPLE, HELP THEM OUT, AND BECOME FRIENDS. THE OTHER HALF JUST WANTS THEM TO DISSAPEAR AND DREADS SATURDAY.

What would you do?????

·
Silent Bob
2,343 Posts
I wouldn’t assume their illegal, I would just ask. Once they answer you are going to have to decide if they are telling the truth. Once that is done I would have them do the work that you asked them over to do, (gas isn’t cheap) and them either welcome them back or tell them you don’t have any more work for them.

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
If you can afford it, I think you should help them. The cleaning and mowing are good because it allows them to keep their dignity, if you just handed them some money it could be insulting. Now, I don't know about you or anybody else but one of the reasons I prep is to help others if/when things get bad. Sounds like maybe it has gotten bad for these folks ... or maybe not yet. Again, IF YOU CAN REALLY AFFORD IT, I think you should let them clean and mow.

Reactions: goose3 and Eastex

·
Registered
154 Posts
I wouldn't ask their status. I don't care. If I can afford it, I'll use them to mow my yard. You did a good thing, letting them make a few bucks, and in this heat, allowing the mother and baby to get in a cool place. These aren't gangbangers. They're just poor people trying to survive. I commend you for your kindness.

Lock the rooms you don't want anyone to enter.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,961 Posts
Did anyone else offer to mow your yard? No? Then IMO there's not much moral dilemma here.

And unless you're prepared to ask everyone for evidence of citizenship, I think it's akin to profiling to assume anything.

And that's not to sound harsh; you appear to be a nice person, concerned for one's fellow man, and willing to help to the extent you can.

And frankly, whether they're illegal or not, they're still people. You're giving them some assistance, and I say, bully for you for being willing.

As far as letting them see your preps, maybe she cleans for you, maybe not. Locking any rooms you don't want her in, as others have suggested, sounds like a very good idea.

And you could ramp up the cleaning. Have her do limited cleaning to begin with, then if and as she shows she's reliable and does good work, consider increasing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts