Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so yesterday a very pregnant woman came to the door speaking very limited english and asking if i wanted my yard mowed. And I did, Ive been meaning to find a lawn service and I felt like this might be like a sign or something. So her husband begins to mow the grass and she goes and sits in the car (this is Texas) So i tell her to come inside and she takes a 2 year old little girl from the back seat and comes in. (now I'm really glad I made her come inside) anyways, by the time they left I had agreed to have them both back over on Saturday for him to mow the back and her to clean.

I just felt really bad, these people are very very poor and I wanted to help. Then, all of a sudden after they had left, I realized that they, most likely, are illigal immigrants. which I do not want to support.

Dilema #1
I really do need the lawn help, I'm a single mom and my son is too little to leave in the house alone and too little to be in the yard while I'm pushing a mower. He naps mid-day but in texas in the summer I seriously fear for my health. By the time he goes to bed its dark and not very neighborly to be running a mower at that time. this guy does it for $20.

Dilema #2
I want to help them. Although she really couldn't speak any english I feel like we sorta connected and our kids are the same age so they played together. The little girl was very excited when I showed her the playroom. I don't think she has a lot of toys at home.

Dilema #3
I can't really afford having them clean and mow on a regular basis. And I don't want to get in trouble for hiring illegal aliens. The liability of having the little girl here scares me too. All in all, I don't know these people well, and I dont want to be sued. (the cat nipped at her yesterday) which brings me to dilema #4

Dilema #4
my food storage room. Its coming along quite nicely! But its not exactly the safest room in the house, I've re-arranged the modules to be much more sturdy but its a good room for a faked or ligitimate accident. I don't need a 50 lb bucket of rice falling or "falling" on a pregnant woman. The other thing is that they're poor and I have a freaking grocery store in my spare bedroom. I'm not really worried about them stealing my preps, if you can conceal a 5 gallon bucket under your shirt you can have it :) and the metals are well hidden. I just don't want to flaunt the fact that I have excess when they probably are just scraping by. I also don't want a whole lot of poeple knowing what I have. But if i ask her not to go in that room, wouldn't that just make it more tempting to at least look inside?

HALF OF ME WANTS TO TAKE CARE OF THESE PEOPLE, HELP THEM OUT, AND BECOME FRIENDS. THE OTHER HALF JUST WANTS THEM TO DISSAPEAR AND DREADS SATURDAY.

What would you do?????

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Put a lock on the store room. Tell her it's your store room and it doesn't need cleaning. It's in your best interest. If it's a 1 time lawn mowing it's one thing. But providing extended and planned employment is illegal. Even just for mowing the lawn.

Ask for a social security number (even if it's just the child's) so you can file it on your taxes. Check the number. If they haven't got one hand them a sack lunch and direct them to the nearest county office for assistance in filing legally and rest your mind at ease. If they've GOT a number (even if it's just the child's) then you can direct them to the immigrations office to apply for legal status and still plan on them working for you.

It may sound crass but immigrants coming illegally KNOW they are here illegally. They made the conscious decision to bring their children to another country regardless of the possible dangers they face because it's the best alternative they felt they had. Immigrants don't come illegally just for fun. Mowing your yard isn't going to help them long term. They need to apply legally for a social security number if not for themselves, at least for their child. Yes, they may be deported. BUT if they go themselves to legally apply then their paperwork has been started and in the future they may become LEGAL citizens. We can't save the world through illegal immigrants.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
If she is illegal you will help her more by turning her away. Its likely they are also knowingly pulling at your heart by sending the pregnant lady to the door. Also coming from a country that has no medical care like we do you are opening the door to some possibly scary diseases. You need to take care of yourself and your kid and allowing unknown people and or illegals in the home is not helping, if they are illegal. Go and get a neighborhood American kid to cut your grass. When you say you want to become friends you also have to take into account and understand where their ideals and thinking come from, the guy cant even get his butt out to ask you for you money , he sends his wife. If your storage room is not safe ,which i would not show to anyone, it does not take a "illegal" to get hurt. You can get hurt or your kid.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'd help them out if it were me. Lock the door to the store room, that eliminates #4. No law says that you have to ask everyone who comes to your house to do an odd job for a social. I live in Texas too. Just make it known that it won't be an every week situation. Maybe every couple of weeks, when you can afford it. With the summer we've had, you don't need your yard mowed every week anyway right now. Not until we start to get some rain anyway. Work out a deal and make sure you arrive at a price you can afford. You can put your cat in the storage closet too while she is cleaning and the kids are playing and all should be good. If anyone asks you assumed they were legal. We have a lady that does our house once a week. She does all the heavy cleaning for us, we pay cash, no questions asked. If they are on your payroll, it is something different.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I've worked along side with illegals before on job-sites (don't ask), even became "working friends" with them. In the service I visited their countries and lived and worked with their military.

I understand that they are just people, that were born in a country with limited resources. Visiting some of the countries of South and Central America made me very grateful to be an American.

My advice,

The cold hard facts are that if they are illegal aliens, you are breaking the law by employing them, and you are also supporting illegal immigration.

You should realize that you don't really know them. They may be decent hardworking people. Then again they may be violent criminals. You just don't know. Desperate people do desperate things.

My suggestion is to find an American citizen that needs the work and hire them.

·
Registered
393 Posts
OPSEC!!!

1. She (and her husband) may be able to speak English as good or better than you can.
2. Doing lawnwork provides him with the opportunity to identify alternate access and escape routes from your property, as well as possible access points to your house (unlocked windows, doors, shrubbery for concealment, even a crawl space door can provide easy access).
3. "Connecting" with you on a maternal level unconciously lowers your defenses, and even if you don't converse with her she can learn a lot about you by simply observing. Something as simple as an overheard phone conversation can provide her with volumes of information about you.
4. Being inside of your house allows her to see what you have and where it is, and allowing her to clean would just magnify this opportunity. She can also see if you have an alarm system, dog, etc., and she knows that there is no "man of the house".
5. Immigrants are involved in kid-napping rings that are driven by the drug trades.

I don't mean to scare you, but you really cannot trust anyone these days, regardless of the fact that you're a prepper. If they show up again, just tell them that you don't have the money to pay them for their work. You may want to contact a local church to see if they have teens or men who are involved in any ministries that reach out to single moms such as yourself to help with the lawn. I am involved in a motorcycle ministry at our church and we regularly cut grass, repair/paint homes, and do routine vehicle maintenance/minor repairs for single moms and the elderly. Don't be afraid or ashamed to ask for help...there are people out there looking for opportunities to serve others.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Just to note: just because they don't have a good command of the english language, does not mean they are illegal.

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,837 Posts
Treat them like human beings and look beyond man-made borders which mean nothing in the end.

Reactions: vicdotcom

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OPSEC!!!

1. She (and her husband) may be able to speak English as good or better than you can.
2. Doing lawnwork provides him with the opportunity to identify alternate access and escape routes from your property, as well as possible access points to your house (unlocked windows, doors, shrubbery for concealment, even a crawl space door can provide easy access).
3. "Connecting" with you on a maternal level unconciously lowers your defenses, and even if you don't converse with her she can learn a lot about you by simply observing. Something as simple as an overheard phone conversation can provide her with volumes of information about you.
4. Being inside of your house allows her to see what you have and where it is, and allowing her to clean would just magnify this opportunity. She can also see if you have an alarm system, dog, etc., and she knows that there is no "man of the house".
5. Immigrants are involved in kid-napping rings that are driven by the drug trades.

I don't mean to scare you, but you really cannot trust anyone these days, regardless of the fact that you're a prepper. If they show up again, just tell them that you don't have the money to pay them for their work. You may want to contact a local church to see if they have teens or men who are involved in any ministries that reach out to single moms such as yourself to help with the lawn. I am involved in a motorcycle ministry at our church and we regularly cut grass, repair/paint homes, and do routine vehicle maintenance/minor repairs for single moms and the elderly. Don't be afraid or ashamed to ask for help...there are people out there looking for opportunities to serve others.

well, you did scare me a bit. but only because you make a lot of sense.

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
i see your dilema. personally i would have turned them away from the start. if someone comes to my door, and i dont know them, they are promptly told to leave, and they only get ONE warning. my advice is this....on saturday, let them do what you hired them to do (if they come back) and tell them thank you, let them know you found a licensed lawn service to do the work for you, give them the money you owe them, and if they come back, tell them to get lost.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
People are people. It is much easier to consider "illegals" as these faceless beings that you have no connection to. It is easy to vilify them. But the fact is most are just Nice people!

First you need to protect your own liabilities. If he did hurt himself on your lawn... what then? I can't have my neighbor's kid do that anymore because one kid in the next county sued when a weed-whacker smacked a rock into his eye.

What if she went into labor at your place?

I am all for helping. That is what Jesus would do! But he would also "teach them to fish" rather than give them a fish for a day.

What I would do is tell them that I respect them much as people and hard workers. Then give them a list of resources to help them out. Maybe a bonus for a job well done since it save you money getting a lawn service. Tell them that you can't afford their services anymore because of money, legal, liability reasons.

If language is a problem use the Google translator. It is not perfect but it gets the message across really well:
http://translate.google.com/

Help them. Be friends with them. But not at the cost of your own liabilities.

This is just what I would do.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
You are a very kind-hearted individual. That having been said......you need to realize that your first priority is to keep yourself and your own small child safe. And, you are NOT doing this by letting a man and woman that you DO NOT KNOW have access to your home. There are a lot of ways that this situation could go bad in a hurry. None of these are anything that you want to experience.

The fact that the pregnant woman was the one who came to your door just reeks of a scam. (Of course, I was not there for the conversation. BUT, it does seem like they tried to establish a friendly relationship with you very quickly. And, really, all they were supposed to do was cut your lawn......not become your new instant friends.) And, yeah, I know I sound hard and cynical. But, it is a hard world we are living in........and getting more so, every day.

You are not responsible for these people. Keep that clearly in mind. Their actions are designed to make you feel like you are......but that is not true.

You have already made one mistake by hiring them to cut your grass. The second mistake was letting them inside your home. Now, they have had a look around inside......and that is not a good thing. (I sincerely hope that neither one of them asked to use the bathroom while they were there. That would have given them a chance to see more of your home and find out where anything valuable is located.)

Personally, when they returned on Saturday........I would tell them I have changed my mind and then tell them to leave and not come back. I assume you have an outer screen door. Keep that closed and locked and talk to them thru the screen. Then step back and close and lock the stronger second door. Don't get into a long conversation, don't explain, don't apologize, and don't smile. Then look out of a window to make sure they get into their car and actually leave.

For any future situations of this type......here is a mental yardstick you might want to memorize. Ask yourself........what is the best and what is the worst that can come out of this situation. If the worst is truly awful.......DON'T DO IT.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I wouldn't hold it against them if they were illegals, however I second the poster who thinks it could be a play to have the pregnant woman coming to the door. Why didn't the husband do it? I suspect many people just give them a straight handout as they think it's the pregnant woman who would end up mowing. They are probably better off than you. Seriously, I have spoken frankly with a number of beggars and they earn a mint. All tax free, of course.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
As a mexican and someone who's job it is to manage risk its simple.

dont support them.

Tell them you can't hire them.

Hire some local kid to mow your yard, or setup a barter with a neighbor. You mow my lawn once a week ill watch your kids once a week.

Pray for them but its not your job to support them, and if you still feel guilty go volunteer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts