Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a lot of experience with the AR platform, but NONE with AK's and the other day I handled an AK for the first time, and now I've GOT to have one,lol. I realize your'e probably thinking " You waited too long to get one", but I've got some $ burnin' a hole in my pocket,lol. Okay, so I've got a few questions. Is a Galil an AK?, I know that most of the ones I've seen are chambered in 5.56 which is fine by me, and are parts on a Galil interchangable with other AK's, like stocks, handguards,mags,etc.? What in your opinion is the best, most reliable AK on the market?, seems most people like the Arsenals. Are WASR's REALLY that bad?, or is it like the whole Colt-snob thing with AR's and 1911's?. How is the reliability of a 5.56 chambered WASR or Galil compared to the standard 7.62X39?, I'd actually prefer to get another .223 because its still relatively easy to find cheap bulk ammo for compared to X39 ammo. What is the deal with corrosive ammo?, I know that non-corrosive is strongly preferred, but if you clean your rifle properly when done shooting is this stuff okay? I'm asking about the Galil because from what I've seen the prices for these are a good deal less than other AK's. Do Galil's take special mags?,or will a standard AK mag work fine? Okay, I think that about sums up all my questions,lol. Do you think I'd be better off getting another AR?, or expand my arsenal to include one of these battle tested legends? lol. Thanks alot for any responses and knowledge you can share with me guys, I really do appreciate it. Oh, and one more thing, I've completely ruled out getting a .308 because of ammo prices, so either a 5.56, 5.45, or a X39.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
WASR's aren't bad. I defy someone to tell me they have had their WASR let them down. A WASR now is better than a Yugo you need to save for.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
WASR's are fine. I have one and love it! DO some research and know what to check for (ex. mag wobble) and find one that does not have some of the dreaded bad attributes.

AMD-65's are good too, but have 20 round mags. I would get one of these in an instant as well. But to say the WASR is trash is wrong...she will get the job done :D:.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
The Galil is not an AK. It operates on the same principal, but they are not interchangeable.

Galil = Israeli design
AK = Russian design

If you really want to shoot .223 ammo, get the Galil as it was designed to shoot .223, otherwise get the AK and shoot x39.

There is nothing wrong the the WASR, but they are not worth what people are asking. $500 max for a perfect one. AMD is good, as well as YUGO, Russian, Bulgarian, Egyptian.

As far as corrosive ammo, I never noticed the Somalian Militia worrying about corrosive ammo nor cleaning their AKs. They just ripped off the rounds at whatever was moving then reloaded and went back to their cot. I don't think they even had cleaning kits. So, if you plan to clean your AK normally, corrosive ammo will be of little concern.

·
Take me out to the black
3,030 Posts
I have a Romanian SAR-1 and I LOVE THIS GUN!!!

It's rugged, ugly, and has never let me down.

Although I'd recommend a converted Saiga or a AMD over a Romanian build if you can find one.

But as was said, don't pay more than 500 bucks for a WASR.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
WASR's are fine. I have one and love it! DO some research and know what to check for (ex. mag wobble) and find one that does not have some of the dreaded bad attributes.

AMD-65's are good too, but have 20 round mags. I would get one of these in an instant as well. But to say the WASR is trash is wrong...she will get the job done :D:.
I never said it was trash, just junk by compairson. Actually get a AMD-63, its the same as the AMD-65 but has a fixed stock instead of the folding wire stock. I've never had any trouble getting 30rd mags in or out of my gun either and those that do just take a little off the back / bottom the froward grip to make the needed room and it doesn't interfere with the control or grip of the weapon.

Reactions: werewolf

·
Registered
34,624 Posts
AMD's are OK, and about the most $ effective way to get a folder right now.

But I'd put up my Old Beat up WASR with over 17,000 rounds through it against one... no problem.

WASR's are fine so long as you check that the mags lock in good and the sites are straight.

Arsonal makes some pretty good guns

Gunplumber

Red Jacket

and Jim Fuller make some of the best.

·
American fearmaker
14,242 Posts
If you get an AK type rifle, get 1 with a folding stock and a side-mounted 4X scope on it. The folding stock helps make it more compact. The scope will help increase its overall accuracy, not turn it into a sniper rifle. A decent AK of any sort is the personification of reliability.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a WASR and it is doing just fine. If all your looking for is an AK platform to play on they are a pretty good value.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just replace the cheap factory stock. I had one split on me after a buttstroking incident.
"buttstroking incident"?:confused:

Unfortunately you can't replace the stock with a pistol grip stock because of some law you have to jump through hoops:rolleyes:. Look up "922r compliance" .

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
"buttstroking incident"?:confused:

Unfortunately you can't replace the stock with a pistol grip stock because of some law you have to jump through hoops:rolleyes:. Look up "922r compliance" .
You just have to replace a few of the imported parts, US made trigger group, and US stock set and pistol grip will get you there.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
I have a WASR and it is doing just fine. If all your looking for is an AK platform to play on they are a pretty good value.
I second the WASR, they are probably the best value. With a little work they can be real nice. Most importantly they have some of the better barrels on AKs, better than the Yugo's :eek:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just keep in mind, you'll want to get it the way you want it. i.e. folding stock. AKs are notorious for being individualized. If you get one with a standard stock and want to swap it for a folder; the receiver for a folder is a bit different.

·
Registered
143 Posts
There are different grades of Romanian AKs. The WASR 10 are the military rejects and are considered by many to be junk. Keep in mind that junk AKs tend to still be reliable weapons, as long as they don't have a warped gas tube or other defect out of the box. The Romanian "G" AKs are the higher grade military service models and if you were going to go with a Romanian, you would be better served to get one of those. Their quality also depends on who built them and what brand of U.S. parts were used.

I personally have an AMD-65 custom built by Ohio Rapid Fire. It's a beautiful gun. VERY high quality. There's just something about owning an AK that gives the ultimate reassurance. You know that it will keep shooting when you need it to no matter what. In a survival situation that can mean the world. The AK-47 is the ultimate survival gun, in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts