Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, wanted to see what ideas are out there that could be useful in heating my home when the power goes out. I live in a smaller bi-level house with no fireplaces and so-so insulation in Northeast Ohio, and my biggest concern is the power going out for an extended period of time in the middle of winter. What would you suggest as alternatives to keeping my home warm without electrical power given this information?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
They make portable heaters that run on propane that do an excellent job. I don't know the square-footage of your home, but you can use several. That is my backup. Propane stores well for long periods, and can also be used with a Coleman stove, or some such, for cooking.

·
Retired thinker
7,337 Posts
Get a kerosene heater at lowes or wallyworld for about $120. I got the 23K unit that heats 1000 sq foot like toast. It will run for 12 hours or so on 1.6 gals of fuel and is simple, reliable and safe. You can even do some limited cooking on top of it and it throws off a little light too. Kerosene also stores for a long time. It might not be a good idea though if you have small children since they can get very hot to the touch. But then so do most other heaters. We are talking emergency use though so even that should be fine with a little extra diligence and care.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With Kerosene and Propane heaters do I need to worry about running them inside and killing everyone in the house from carbon monoxide poisoning? That's the only reason I hadn't ever considered them. I appreciate all the quick replies!

·
Better to burn out
3,274 Posts
My parents had a wall heater like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200485120_200485120

It kept a poorly insulated room with too many windows toasty all winter. Be sure to have a working carbon monoxide detector nearby.
No offense, but Ohio gets somewhat colder than TN. Also if you go the route of a heater like this, get unit that a higher BTU such as 24,000 or higher. I have an 18,000 and a 24,000 BTU heater of this type in my insulated garage in MN and together they work well.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I have an LP heater for back up in my exercise room that was a carport it runs off of 20 and 30 lb tanks. Small house about 1400 sq feet it heats most of the house well during extreme cold. Also have a big buddy heater (about $75.00) that will run off small screw in bottles or a 20 lb bottle. I put it in the living room and it will heat the main part of the house by it's self.I usually leave one window slightly cracked. Never had a problem been using them for about 15 years. Last winter I used a big buddy heater in my 28 ft camper in the Va. Mountains worked great during the winter. This year I am installing a wall mount 18000 btu lp heater to run off a 40 lb tank in the camper. It has a built in lp furnace but it requires electricity to run and power is subject to go out any time up there.

Reactions: OhioMan

·
Registered
182 Posts
If it was just a power outage your concerned with, I would just get myself a Honda eu2000i, an extension cord long enough for the job, enough stabilized gas to run it for the loss period expected.

Very easy to learn how to pull the wires from the switchbox and put a plug on them, but only if it is a non-electric furnace or boiler. Generator will come in handy in many ways.

I for one cannot fathom why a homeowner would not own at least a small generator like this, quiet, efficient and small enough to store anywhere.

·
M.R. Ducks
18,512 Posts
No offense, but Ohio gets somewhat colder than TN.
I'm sure it does. :)
It gets below zero here every so often, but doesn't stay there very long.

If you need a bigger heater get a bigger heater. But we are talking about staying warm during a power failure, not everyday heating. The OP might not want to invest in a bunch of alternative heating devices and fuel for the few days a year the lights go out.

When the power failed in the winter we would get our sleeping bags and move into the room with the gas heater to camp until the electricity came back. The rest of the time, the heater's job was to take the chill off in the morning. As my father got older, he moved his chair closer to the heater. :)

·
gagged
3,833 Posts
rearrange your life to live in the smallest possible space. I am from a very hot place but once in awhile it gets really cold here and stays that way for extended time. When my kids were young we had once such spell. My heat pump (this model did not work at all if the outside are was below 22%) froze solid when it was covered during the night by ice & snow. They shut down the highway going to our two lane so no way in or out. we were not prepping at the time. what we did was bring my DH propane garage heater in and put it by a window. He made a cardboard air vent gap for the window. we opened it 2" installed the air gap and sealed it with duct tape. we then insulated it as best we could without getting the material near the shop heater. he then took pipe from the shop heater to the air vent (not a sealed vent just something to help it vent).
The entire family moved all action into one room & we covered all the doors & windows with big blankets. We ate, slept and read in that room for 4 days until the weather started to break & the road opened and my DH could get the heat pump thawed out.
live in a small space, less to heat, insulate openings better than usual, use emergency heat with an eye toward ventilation & safety.
this was many years ago before sealed combustion heaters with built in carbon monoxide shut downs, you could do better now.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I have a coal stove which use to be our main source of heat until we went Geothermal. Now it's our back up heat and I have 1 ton stored in my coal box just in case. 1 ton will heat my house for more than a year.

Consider this, coal never goes bad, it won't rot like wood, won't leak from rusty bottles like propane and won't go bad like diesel or gas. I think it's the perfect back up fuel.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,850 Posts
Geez, doesn't anyone search before asking these questions any more?

Google "site:survivalistboards.com alternative methods heat home" and you'll find a ton of ideas.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I have a coal stove which use to be our main source of heat until we went Geothermal. Now it's our back up heat and I have 1 ton stored in my coal box just in case. 1 ton will heat my house for more than a year.

Consider this, coal never goes bad, it won't rot like wood, won't leak from rusty bottles like propane and won't go bad like diesel or gas. I think it's the perfect back up fuel.
What otard says coal is bad.:eek:

·
Closed for the Season.
15,782 Posts
You might consider a pellet stove. They do not need much in the way of a chimney and you could figure out a way to supply the small amount of electricity needed to run it. They even make a pellet stove that sits in a window like a air conditioner does. Pellets would be clean to store and last indefinitely if kept out of the elements.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts