Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Due to local laws, carrying a fixed blade knife, or any knife with a blade of over 4 inches, is illegal. However, I still want to have a knife or two, as well as a multitool, in my bug out bag that I keep in my vehicle. Can anyone recommend one or two good folders with blades less than 4 inches that would be good for overall survival?

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Spyderco Military:
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum8214.php

Note Spyderco makes this in other configurations, some of which are available at that website, such as partially serrated-edge, stainless blades, black grip, etc. It takes full advantage of the 4" allowed by your local laws. Spyderco makes fantastic products. I carry the Delica model every day in my pocket as an ultra-light, ultra reliable tool. For a car or backpack, go with the larger Military model.

·
Tactical Defender
62 Posts
Yeah, you really can't go wrong with a Spyderco, the knives are well made and such a huge variety and the company is one of the best in terms of customer service.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Where are you located? IN SOME locales what's a no-no in the city is perfectly alright in the bush...Can you buy machetes there? That's a fixed blade over 4" isn't it?

As to the original question, any and every noted commercial maker makes a <4" folder but greater then 3½"...

What is your budget? Big difference in what you can get for $20 then for $75 and then again for $150!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you located? IN SOME locales what's a no-no in the city is perfectly alright in the bush...Can you buy machetes there? That's a fixed blade over 4" isn't it?

As to the original question, any and every noted commercial maker makes a <4" folder but greater then 3½"...

What is your budget? Big difference in what you can get for $20 then for $75 and then again for $150!
I'm in NY, Long Island specifically. As such, I don't expect to be out in the wilderness in the event of an emergency, but, hey, if we were preparing for the expected, none of us would be on this forum.

As far as my budget goes, i'm not willing to spend as much on a knife as I am on, say, a Mossberg model 500. That said, I see $100 or less to be reasonable for a good, sturdy knife. $100 is not a set number either, i'm willing to go a bit higher for the quality.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
From CRKThttp://www.crkt.com/ I like the following: Carson M4 3.75”, M21 3”, Lake Bandera 3.25”, M21 or the M16 Special Forces both 3.875”, Ignitor T 3.38”, My Tighe 3.625”, Fire Spark 3.875”…I have the Crawford Natural 3.88” as my EDC blade and my wife carries the Gallagher Glide Lock 2.875”

From SOGhttp://www.sogknives.com/ there is the Woodline 3.4”, , Salute 3.65”, Fielder 3”, Auto-Clip 3.5”, Aura 3.4” and my favourite the Aegis at 3.5”…there are many others but well past your price point…

Just from two makers there’s sixteen blades that meet your requirements…I’d suggest go to the sticky section and look at American, Canadian and European made kniveshttp://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=2502 and there is a list I made showing a number of commercial makers both tactical and regular…Just keep clicking on the links until you find one you like...Then go to your local knife store and check it out as it has to fit your hand and well as your pocket and wallet!

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
I have been carrying a Klein Tools Knife for around a year, and it seems to be working out pretty good. The only number (like a model number) I can find on it is a 44002.

The blade is about 2 3/4 inches long, its easy to sharpen and holds and edge pretty good. It even has a thumb assist knob on the side and a hole for a lanyard.

Back in May of 2009, while on a hiking trip with my kids, we stopped for lunch and I used the knife to open an MRE. I sat the knife down on a log, and forgot about it. The next morning my daughter and I hiked back to where the log was at. The blade had a little bit of rust on it. This tells me that the blade has some carbon in it. That is probably why its easy to sharpen and holds an edge well.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
One of my personal favorites is the Spyderoc Delica, but I have had very good luck with the Spyderco Tenacious. I beat the heck out this knife last summer. I had zero is issues with the lock or blade play and it easily takes an edge. I only recently shelved it because Spyderco came out with the new flat ground Delica, and I wanted to try the new knife out. Both my new Delica and the Tenacious are flat ground and I prefer that type of blade grind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yup, there's cheaper knives out there, and good knives too, but for folders really the only two companies I'm very interested in spending my money on any more are Spyderco and Benchmade. Kershaw and CRKT are pretty decent alternatives.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Any knife by Victorinox or Wenger of the Swiss Army variety, I like the Victorinox best.
Folders by either Schrade or Buck are great to have as well.
All four have excellent knives for well within your budget and will certainly have one or more that you like.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I got a SOG Flash II at Lowe's for like $48. I work in a warehouse and use it daily. It's held up where my Gerber paraframe and Smith & Wesson has failed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts