Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Indefatigable
21,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are preparing to donate a car soon.
Just like all charities, I know there are the good and the bad out there. I would like to hear from Vets who have received help from charity groups or from those who have worked with Vet based charities.
Who would you suggest?
Who would you stay away from?
Here is our top contender at this point
http://carshelpingveterans.org/
I had never heard of this charity, until I started doing the research. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about this specific one?

·
BAZINGA!
1,177 Posts
You should be able to do a search for the place you asked and find out how much donating goes to "operational" expenses (salaries, etc)

I did that and will NEVER donate to Wounded Warrior. I encourage everyone to find out how much their multitude of "CEO"s make.....sickening.

·
Indefatigable
21,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The best charity to a soldier is do it yourself, hand them food, money clothes then you know it went where intended.

Most charity's spend more than 80% of their money on "administration "
I would love to, unfortunately, you can't trust people around here who say they are vets. I have honestly looked, for the last 3 months for someone, anyone, who needed a car. The last person who had even the slightest probability of having the keys handed to him had no valid DL and he lost it for DUIs. I didn't even bother checking his service record after he lied about those things.

Reactions: Eyes-open-now

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
No.. wounded warriors is a scam. Do a simple Google search.
Yes they are.

I asked them for help, I got a stress ball and 2 hats.

However:
http://www.nmcrs.org/

Helped me coordinate care and get my surgery. They offer interest free loans to service members (which I knew of but never used) I didn't know about the nurses they send out etc until they helped me. They do many other things.

They have been around for 100 years, I'd give them my vote.

·
Remember The Alamo
4,570 Posts
I would love to, unfortunately, you can't trust people around here who say they are vets. I have honestly looked, for the last 3 months for someone, anyone, who needed a car. The last person who had even the slightest probability of having the keys handed to him had no valid DL and he lost it for DUIs. I didn't even bother checking his service record after he lied about those things.
Not every vet is a liar & and a drunk give it time, I find them in the grocery stores more often than anywhere else I just pay for the grocery's.
Just ask when and where they served if you like what you hear pay for the food.

As far as the car don't give up most vets won't ask for help, been there done that.

·
Indefatigable
21,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is new player late to the game, but it sounds promising.
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, I just spoke to a man at the American Legion.
Who knew Tulsa had the oldest chapter in the US?
It looks like they might be interested and said they would use the van to pick up people who don't drive. No selling or crushing for pennies on the dollar. No spending the money for BS.
Good idea?

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, I just spoke to a man at the American Legion.
It looks like they might be interested and said they would use the van to pick up people who don't drive. No selling or crushing for pennies on the dollar. No spending the money for BS.
Good idea?
I'm a lifetime member.....
VFW also.

·
Retired thinker
7,337 Posts
"The easiest way to research national charities is with the three major charity watchdogs: Charity Navigator, CharityWatch, and the BBB Wise Giving Alliance. They rate charities based on how they spend their money, protect donor privacy, govern themselves, and more. Some have tools to sort and search for organizations and reviews."

Consumer Reports.

·
BAZINGA!
1,177 Posts
Good idea?
best way to go about it and not worry about some lying about service. A place like that will for sure get it to who it would serve best

·
Retired Army
5,541 Posts
In my 20+ years in the Army I can't tell you how much I used to love to see the USO at airports. Sometimes I would land in a country I had never been to before and they were always able to help me get situated.

If I had long or even super long layovers, they were always a safe place for me to stay until my flights.

They never let a service member or their family members go hungry or thirsty.

Once, in Seattle, I took a snooze at the the USO and when I woke up one of the volunteer Ladies had shined my shoes for me. (We had to travel in Class A uniforms back then) How about them apples?

While serving in the 11th ACR and pulling extended "Border Duty" the USO would send up entertainers to brighten up our dismal tour of duty. Not to mention all of the other entertainment that they bring to service members all over the world.

Anyway, I vote for USO.

Al

·
Heliphobe
788 Posts
Good idea?
Since you are giving a vehicle, I say that sounds like a great fit!

·
Jeep addict extrodinaire.
4,008 Posts
I would say the fisher house or the USO
Beat me to it. Not sure if they can take a car but THIS is a legit deal. I've used one at ft hood and have several buddies that had need. Its a real world, no bs, fully usable charity that provides an invaluable service we often dont think of. It gets super expensive staying in a hotel away from home, or when your family needs to be close. Hard enough on folks dealing with an injured loved one. This helps. Only CFC charity I do.

·
Indefatigable
21,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The deal is final. The car went to the American Legion. Thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.