Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did an inventory recently of all prep supplies.

I love firearms. I always have. I always will. But when I looked at the dollar figures spent on food versus guns/ammo and other supplies, I realized that I have to full take responsibility for foolishly putting money into hobby (and it can only be described as "hobby" because once you have XX number of guns and ammo... you really have a sufficient supply, and beyond that you aren't prepping. You are spending money on a hobby that takes much needed resources away form wiser choices.)

I've done a good job on medical preps.

I've done a good job on gear preps.

On food versus guns & Ammo... I should have my "prepper" card taken away for a year.

Literally, just one recent rifle/pistol combo that I bought would have paid for 2 years worth of long storage food for one person.

I take personally responsibility for making these choices, and I only make this post because I think many of us can fall into the trap of buying what you want versus what you need.

What flagged me to even think about reviewing dollars spent where was when I recently saw a post where a couple mall ninjas were discussing the best quality night vision scope for their rifles... and someone noted that just that scope alone would pay for a 5 year food pallet.

While I know I am not going to cure my own human stupidity overnight, I will at least today pledge publicly that I will not buy another firearm until I've got 5 more years of food stored first. By at least having a goal and target... it may help align my thinking to prepping intelligently instead of just for fun... and shooting myself in the foot in the process.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Thanks for the check/reminder.
I think more then just a few of us tend to do exactly what you 'fessed' up to.
Acouple of years ago, I went to the same "Where has my head been," routine.
I'll admit to being good, for awhile, but have slipped on occassion!!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Where do you get your food where it would be equal to the price of a night scope or a rifle/pistol? What kind of food palet is it? I myself have at least a years supply of food already, and plenty of water options. 2 handguns and 2 shotguns. about 1000 rounds per weapon too. I'd like to start storing grain, but its hard to get around here. I live in NJ, and would love to just buy a palet and know that was enough for 5 years! Is it grains you're talking about? And, you're right. Food has got to be your next big purchase!

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
I bought all my guns back when it was a major interest of mine. Went the route of long guns, pistols, shotguns, air guns, accessories, reloading equipment, powder, bullets, holsters, slings, rests, chronographs, spotting scopes, and more and more... but I did not have a candy bar saved for any kind of disaster. But it was interesting way to pass the time.

Lately I have gone the route of being self sufficient against Civic collapse. If anything it can be more expensive than being a gun nut. Less noise though.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I did an inventory recently of all prep supplies.

I love firearms. I always have. I always will. But when I looked at the dollar figures spent on food versus guns/ammo and other supplies, I realized that I have to full take responsibility for foolishly putting money into hobby (and it can only be described as "hobby" because once you have XX number of guns and ammo... you really have a sufficient supply, and beyond that you aren't prepping. You are spending money on a hobby that takes much needed resources away form wiser choices.)

I've done a good job on medical preps.

I've done a good job on gear preps.

On food versus guns & Ammo... I should have my "prepper" card taken away for a year.

Literally, just one recent rifle/pistol combo that I bought would have paid for 2 years worth of long storage food for one person.

I take personally responsibility for making these choices, and I only make this post because I think many of us can fall into the trap of buying what you want versus what you need.

What flagged me to even think about reviewing dollars spent where was when I recently saw a post where a couple mall ninjas were discussing the best quality night vision scope for their rifles... and someone noted that just that scope alone would pay for a 5 year food pallet.

While I know I am not going to cure my own human stupidity overnight, I will at least today pledge publicly that I will not buy another firearm until I've got 5 more years of food stored first. By at least having a goal and target... it may help align my thinking to prepping intelligently instead of just for fun... and shooting myself in the foot in the process.
If you got the money, do both. You know your own finances better than anyone here. I try to 'bucket' food at least every other week. I know I don't buy guns that often but I do try to pick up a few boxes of ammo a week as well. No harm, no foul right?

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
In 2001 I realized how bare bones in many areas my food stash was but my Garand collection was almost complete. I've been selling off more of my collector type stuff and trading & selling to get more useful items. With nobody to inherit who would appreciate them it was a good move.

For the last few years I've been working on putting everything on a spreadsheet so I can get a better idea what I have.

Red

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,960 Posts
You don't need a reality check. You have it figured out.

Good on you for realizing it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I'd have to say i'm in the same situation as the OP. I'm a single guy who doesn't cook, my fridge is always empty,,i wouldn't even know what to buy.

I try to stock what i eat, but even then i'm always coming up empty. I can't digest anything with wheat, peanuts, strawberrys, and cucumbers. I have Siliacs Disease and Colitis, can't even eat chicken.

Mostly i store canned fruit, canned peas and corn, some rice, MRE's, tea, cube broth, and canned soup...also throw in some salt, spices, and sugar.

My food preps are pretty pathetic lol

i'm guessing i'll be eating catfood and cat meat in a few weeks after SHTF....

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm talking to my wife in the kitchen now. My pattern used to be to buy a couple boxes of ammo every month. Her suggestion - just make sure I pack 1 5 gallon food bucket for each of us every month + water... and one packet of seeds... and I can start living with a clear conscience.

It's a blessing to have a smart, sensible wife.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Most of us are lopsided in our preps :D:

But don't kick yourself too hard because even though you could have purchased years worth of food for that one weapon, it isn't as if you have no food and are stacking guns like cord wood, is it? Nah, didn't think so :thumb:

Besides, you are not comparing apples to apples :xeye:
The rifle you bought is not just a prep, it is a toy for shooting at stuff for fun! :thumb:

When was the last time any of us pulled out a bucket of rice and took it out to the range for an afternoon?
(Well, OK, on a rainy day Kev sometimes pulls out bucks and mylar bags to builds forts with them, but that doesn't count ;) )

·
What would Mal do
4,913 Posts
nope...looking at it skewed.

hobbies and activities during good times are something I keep seperate.

for example, I have a collection of guitars and vintage guitar amps...during hard personal times, unemployment, baby expense, etc.. i didn't hesitate to sell some of those toys as needed but as long as my bills are getting paid, then I enjoy some hobby stuff..which includes, btw, a few extra guns.

I made sure I got a basic, well rounded, arsenal which really only amounts to a decent quality 12ga, 5.56 rifle, full sized pistol, and a smaller carry gun.
Those I consider tools and I stock a comfortable level of ammo for them.

But I'm a sucker for a sexy 1911 pistol so there are a couple more guns in the safe than qualify as prep items.

If I felt like I didn't have enough prep supplies then I'd sell guitars/guns, whatever to get my inventory to a critical mass level. But fact is that I have held off on other hobby purchases at times when I felt I needed to spend the money for need rather than want. But after several years of prepping I am at a point where I just pick up a little extra each trip to the store..and my ammo cans don't get raided for target practice.. I buy new the amounts I intend to shoot.

so don't beat yerself up over enjoying the extra hobby pieces..and honestly I can't think of a better investment these days...if you need cash...they are as liquid as any material item in a home...if shtf then you really have something of value..and if all goes well with your world then you have a very nice hobby that can be passed on to the next generation...guns, guitars and Lionel trains...legacy items.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same problem here. Simple solution: Sell * unnecessary* guns+ammo and buy food with that money. Problem solved. You should be advised it is extremely difficult to judge any firearm as unnecessary for those with a firearm addiction. :)

·
أنا واحد
6,631 Posts
In 2001 I realized how bare bones in many areas my food stash was but my Garand collection was almost complete. I've been selling off more of my collector type stuff and trading & selling to get more useful items. With nobody to inherit who would appreciate them it was a good move.

For the last few years I've been working on putting everything on a spreadsheet so I can get a better idea what I have.

Red
Ummm Dad? lol I've finally found you!!!! Do you still have that Garand collection I always wanted?

:D:

·
Registered
798 Posts
This is why I alternate my prep focus. I stock up on food for a month or 2, then go to ammo, then to medical, then to water filtration/storage, ect. Finally ended up with most of my bases covered evenly. Now its time to start the cycle again :)

You will never be prepared for everything (unless your rich and can afford it) but just do your best.

·
Not playing games
1,332 Posts
Where are you located, what kind of disaster are you likely to face?

"Balance" is a relative term, depending on what you are likely to face.
"Another 5 years" worth of food?
Really?
Are you in an area where food production isn't happening, or would be blocked/crippled?
Otherwise, you might want to look to other things.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great barter item, but the bulk of that much stuff kinda nails you in place and can't be cache'd with ease.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
I think of my ammo stocks as a metal investment with a good return, whether I trade or shoot.

Reactions: Misanthropy
1 - 16 of 16 Posts