Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Child support office wants to take me back for a review. My last review was 5 - 6 years ago.

I am not behind on child support.

Does anyone know a family lawyer in Houston that I can talk to?

·
DEFCON 4
6,583 Posts
kev, your ex probably put them up to it....she wants more of your money, brother...if she knows how popular this website has become, she figures she can dig more out of you...see what they want first, then take to a lawyer...good one preferably...sorry bro...

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Your ex is lucky that you have a job and pay child support. My ex has been out of work for over 2 years now. He works temp jobs off and on and as far as the court is concerned my support is based off unemployment. I never get one extra dime when he works.

·
3 more years of this?
2,862 Posts
If you have any changes in income, you and your ex's maybe its time for a review. Also consider any significant changes and make her provide the supporting paperwork.

I did this when I was out of work and had child support dropped and got primary custody. It took a year but shouldnt have to worry about it again. My ex had worked for cash and stated to the judge she had a job but wasnt get paid for it:confused: Of course she has them every weekend but I have them thru the week. Do your research and if she is easy to deal with:rolleyes:you might come out better now due to the economy.

Good luck

·
Registered
860 Posts
Typical, and you are correct in the thought that the ex does indeed want more money.
You can play it two ways. You can go get a lawyer right off, spend the money and not learn anything. OR You can do some research for your city and state and learn something. 1. You need to know what they are wanting from you first. 2. Are you making something like 20% more a year now? 3. Are you behind and just fibbing in this forum. (I say that because when a person gets a lawyer for X number of dollars they usually know what waits for them at the other end of the tunnel, like a profit of some sort) 4. The fastest way to prove it one way or the other is to show your tax return or pay stubs. 5. If you are innocent and this is all BS then get a lawyer and make sure your lawyer files for his fees from the ex for wasting the courts time and your money just to punish you.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Good luck, she can request a review every 3 years or whenever there is a substantial change in the financial or custodial circumstances. My child support payments ended last December, and that was a great relief!

·
Governance Without State
762 Posts
A friend of mine has two ex's and five kids. He pays for two houses (theirs) and a studio apartment (his); four vehicles; and all their child support. His burn rate is $30,000 per month. It just blows my mind. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend getting his lawyer.:rofl:

·
Registered
72 Posts
A friend of mine has two ex's and five kids. He pays for two houses (theirs) and a studio apartment (his); four vehicles; and all their child support. His burn rate is $30,000 per month. It just blows my mind. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend getting his lawyer.:rofl:
that reminds me of 2 1/2 men, when Allen gets divorced from Judith and then gets divorced from Candy and ends up paying for everything even dry cleaning

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I'll ask around the office and see if anyone is familiar with any down there. We do commercial litigation but sometimes people have a connection or two - I'll post if anything comes about.

·
Registered
33,218 Posts
Child support office wants to take me back for a review. My last review was 5 - 6 years ago.

I am not behind on child support.

Does anyone know a family lawyer in Houston that I can talk to?
As you know, the reviews are no big deal. Nothing they will do is in concrete.

I would just go through the review and if there is in MAJOR changes I would file for a "mistake in fact" and get it corrected with an attorney if it's worth it.

If your income is the same or close to it I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would just go through the review and if there is in MAJOR changes I would file for a "mistake in fact" and get it corrected with an attorney if it's worth it.
Thank you.

I doubt there will be an major changes. Texas law prohibits more then 50% of a persons income being taken. Between 25% of my income going to child support, income taxes, insurance, other deductions, I am already around the 40% - 45% range.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts