Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to not know where I'm going in life. I feel like I need a radical change. I sort of lost my Bug Out Friend/best friend as she made some really stupid decisions in life and will have a hell of a time recovering from that. Until then, it seems like I'm not worth anything to her. She's not mean... she's has some serious issues it seems. Oh, well... That's life.

I'm thinking of the Voluntary defence service here, they have two branches, one with military training and one home guard. Don't know yet which to join and if they would even want me...

Oh yea, I did finish my NaNoWriMo novel at 52,000 words. Not bad.

Right now I just wanna put my boots on and walk out into the woods and not come back.

I didn't get payed for some reason... will look into that, so before I can straighten that out I don't have much to live on... Thinking of what dirt cheap foods I can buy. In my current mood that is more a good distraction from my situation and mood, that a nuiscance.

I recall now I have some whiskey left... Mini yay. Will keep me busy for a while.

Meh.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
If you want a change of direction in life then why not apply for V.S.O (voluntary service overseas)?

You'll learn stuff, make a small difference to people in need and have a great adventure at the same time.

YB

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
Unfourtunatly for you....I'm entitled to give free advice ;)

Sounds like you want to run away from some hard times, while I know it seems like a good thing to do now, the thoughts your having now seem to be without any closure to your existing problems.

By the sounds of it.... you have some feelings for the bug out/best friend.....if you join the services.....or walk into the woods and never come back....you will be haunted by a shyt load of "what if's"..... You need closure to move on in peace.

I walked away from a situation with a similar tone and for many years regreted my decision because I was bombarded with the "what if's" until I called and we had a good talk... Life will go on, but how it goes depends on your happiness

Good Luck friend in what ever you decide....we'll be here

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Right now I just wanna put my boots on and walk out into the woods and not come back.
Why not do it. As someone stated above, be sure you have the closure you need first then...go. Why not. I guess I would ask, how old are you, do you have any children.

When I was 25, I quit by good job, sold very thing I had except for my camping equimpment and hopped in my truck. I drove West. I had 700 bucks. This was only 4 years ago. That was all the direction I had. When fate brought me to the right place and right people I stopped and got a job. Changed my life in the most amazing ways.

Life is an adventure, live it. Don't fall onto this conveyor belt that 99% of the world lives on. You want to know what real freedom is. GO! GO GO!!!...If you end up back were you started, great. At least you did it! GO!

EDIT: You also don't want to in debt to do this either! My sister just did the same thing at 33! It only lasted a summer and she came back home but at least she hadthe balls to go an experience a differnet kind of life! I still vote- GO!

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea debt, I totally avoid that. It's what is going to split me and my buddy up, after she gets kicked out by her new "loved one" that is only after her money... Well not HER money, but makes her take huge loans, then the "special friend" wastes it all on crap. So when my friend is used up and kicked out she will be more in debt than ever.

She said she would try to fix up her finances so the two of us could get a SMALL loan and buy a "summer home" up north (where they are incredibly cheap). Now this won't happen, because she will pay off this crap loan for the rest of her life, if she even can, I think she'll go bancrupt.

She's usually a very sane person, good worker, calm... But when it comes to "love", she loses her ability to think. She's been scammed multiple times. Of course me and other friends try to talk to her, but really, what can we do? She won't listen.

So when it all crashes, I'm supposed to take care of her (provide her with food and shelter). I could do that, but ONLY if she agrees to treatment to adress her issues. But she basically ruined out mutual plan (because she's ill, I understand that now). So yea, I'm ticked off.

Been thinking about the Voluntary defence service for a while now. Would get me "out of the house", and I could still stay here, yanno. Wonder if they would accept me, I sort of have a past.

I think it could provide me with practical knowledge that is otherwise a little hard to get. Also, all their "classes" are free... (Including the trip there and back, food and room.) That helps too.

I guess you can't just do things as a distraction, they need to mean something as well.

So I don't know.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I sent for some papers from the Voluntary defence service. If It looks as good as I imagine, I'll apply. Can't hurt to get some training in playing nice with others. And actually some of the education seems valuable. Like I said... it's a "bit" iffy if they'll have me... Rationalizing and stuff yea am I not..? LOL!

But I'll keep my eyes open. Maybe I can find a small cabin that I somehow can afford by myself. That would be the best thing really. Other people are quite unreliable. I know it "should" be possible with my financial situation, but I've done it before, and "impossible" is not usually in my vocabulary... Would be a summer home/BOL...

Think i feel better now... I'm one of those who hate not having a plan.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In a way. But nope. It's not a full time thing (My life is too busy with doing... oh heck what is it that I'm doing again?), and it's not as hardcore (In theory!!!).

This is a branch of the Home Guard which in itself is a branch of the Armed Forces.

http://www.mil.se/en/Organisation/The-Home-Guard/

The Voluntary Defence Service does not require any prior training (different from the rest of the Home Guard), and you can choose from courses in home guard oriented tasks (crisis/disaster training) or the armed branch which is more like army training, and after taking the courses, you sign up for at least four years in service, in case of disaster or war. Sounds fun?

I'm absolutely NOT fit for the regular army or navy, being more than twice as old as the men doing their mandatory training. ;)

I guess signing up for four years goes against all what solitary survivalism stands for, but I became to reevaluate things lately. Like I said, it's not a full time thing, BUT it is a choice that could prove life altering.

Just a small update too... my mom sold her cabin, my friends mom is going to sell her old summer house this spring, leaving me with just one place to go... my friends moms farm (I'm always welcome there). I'm not sure what's better, death or having to deal with her mom...

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I'm one of those who hate not having a plan.
Ah, see I am completely the opposite when it comes to every day life. A plan for disasters yes. When I have a plan for the rest of my life I feel like I am in a prison.

Good luck to you! Sounds like you are exploring your options.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I see. Is it a full time thing,or part time?Kinda sounds like National Guard,here.
What turns people away from the Guard,here,is they tell you its so many weekends,and so many weeks a year,but they then deploy these people on every little foreign entanglement.It screws their home life and job up.They should never even have to leave their state,let alone country.People join to serve THEIR country or state,and end up serving somebody else's country.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts