Survivalist Forum banner

I made fresh butter this morning.

4K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  mwatkins 
#1 ·
It took about five minutes. Following instructions on a youtube video, I made what would amount to about two good sticks of butter out of a pint of Heavy Whipping Cream. you won't believe how easy this is! Set the cream container out on a counter or in a pantry for 12 hours, maybe a little more if your house is cold. The next day pour the cream in a jar with some room left over. Put the lid on and shake the jar like you are trying to sling something out of the bottom of it. You will feel the slosh of the liquid turn to a non-sloshing feel in a few minutes. That is when the cream turns to whipped cream. In the next minute or two you will feel something inside "break loose" and a solid feeling of something bouncing back and forth. You can stop right there because you have butter. Pour the liquid out; that's your buttermilk, and save it to make biscuits or pancakes. Put a little clean water in the jar and rinse the remaining milk off of the butter. Pour the water out then put your fresh butter in a dish. Salt it if you want to or leave it non salted.

Enjoy.

#7 ·
This is the best video I have seen on making your own butter, all the others leave out two important steps that makes the process MUCH easier:

Don't use the freshest cream -- older cream makes better butter.
Let it set out at room temperature for several hours first

We started getting our milk fresh & raw from a farmer down the road a year or so ago. We would skim off the cream the next morning, pour it in a mason jar & start shaking . . . it took FOREVER and we ended up with mediocre butter clumps and a sore arm

Now, we skim the cream the next morning but let it sit in the fridge for several days first, then let it sit out on the counter for 4 hours or so, fresh butter in 5 minutes!

#14 ·
i gotta do this with the kids, we made icecream a few weekends ago and they loved it. i bet my kids will love this too. they are all super skinny and we let them eat straight butter sticks to help put on weight.

#19 ·
That was really awesome. I was just wondering if it's cheaper to buy the cream or just buy butter. I don't have room to store a cow either. LOL Oh boy I can remember when we were kids and fighting over who was gonna lick the cream from the cardboard top of the glass milk bottle. That was when milk was milk, not this pasteurized stuff. And I'm showing my age!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.