Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a pair of Leica binos, 10x32 and 8x50 and good optics rule.
You get what you pay for.
These were my first jump into quality glass. I got them out of the Cabela’s bargain cave in 1996. Somebody took them on Safari and returned them. I really did have the $ for them, but it was a great deal. I still use them today.

Great glass

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
Zeiss. i like swavorski, but rifle i have was equipted with a Zeiss, in 1969. still as clear, light gathering and functional as the day he bought it. Reticle is brilliant. mine is a distance varmet model, built in BDC and adjustable both ends......I remember because my Aunt almost Beat his butt, with talk of throwing him out, for spending$2799 in 1969 dollars. I send it back every 5 years for a check, oring change, and re-seal. never ever had a issue. ever.
take care of that scope and have it serviced, it will last your great grand children a lifetime.
Mine is on a Remington 40X built to M40 spec, minus the poly stock. wood stock is bedded.
barrel is a BDL in 6 MM Remington. Uncle shot NRA competitions with it a lot and did win quite a few, while i was deployed, He died, and my aunt left it in the gun rack , in front of a morning sun window. bleached part of one side.
I left the stock as is, to remember him, and the fact, none of my family even bothered to tell me till i came home 2 years later on leave.
I save for glass, Love the Trijicons, have a couple TA01s Night vision, AVN-PS2
as well as having a Leatherwood ART from the 70s. good glass will last you, no need to replace it every year. or every 5 years. or 10 years. some disagree, its of no matter though, you use what works for you
congratulations. Swavorski is a excellent optic.:thumb:

Attachments

·
Swirl Herder
3,716 Posts
I've always been a Leupold guy. I know that there is better glass out there, but I still feel its as good as a regular guy like myself will ever need.
More specifically, Leupold may well be the best value for money. They are not the best optics in the world, but they are great optics for the price (and arguably the best balance between optical quality and price).

I also have Zeiss, Steiner, Trijicon, Schmidt & Bender, March, Aimpoint, Docter, Elcan and Eotech optics - but I have more Leupolds than any other brand.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've always been a Leupold guy. I know that there is better glass out there, but I still feel its as good as a regular guy like myself will ever need.
Leupold scopes are great and their warranty is truly as good as it gets. The VX-5HD, VX-6 and VX-6HD are excellent scopes. The VR line and VX-3i are some of the best value in scopes right now. I own more Leupold scopes than and other.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zeiss. i like swavorski, but rifle i have was equipted with a Zeiss, in 1969. still as clear, light gathering and functional as the day he bought it. Reticle is brilliant. mine is a distance varmet model, built in BDC and adjustable both ends......I remember because my Aunt almost Beat his butt, with talk of throwing him out, for spending$2799 in 1969 dollars. I send it back every 5 years for a check, oring change, and re-seal. never ever had a issue. ever.
take care of that scope and have it serviced, it will last your great grand children a lifetime.
Mine is on a Remington 40X built to M40 spec, minus the poly stock. wood stock is bedded.
barrel is a BDL in 6 MM Remington. Uncle shot NRA competitions with it a lot and did win quite a few, while i was deployed, He died, and my aunt left it in the gun rack , in front of a morning sun window. bleached part of one side.
I left the stock as is, to remember him, and the fact, none of my family even bothered to tell me till i came home 2 years later on leave.
I save for glass, Love the Trijicons, have a couple TA01s Night vision, AVN-PS2
as well as having a Leatherwood ART from the 70s. good glass will last you, no need to replace it every year. or every 5 years. or 10 years. some disagree, its of no matter though, you use what works for you
congratulations. Swavorski is a excellent optic.:thumb:
I’ve always been a Zeiss guy. I own 6 of them. When I bought this scope I looked at the V8 line. The only thing that held me back was the 36mm main tube. It just looks too big on a hunting rifle.

As far as Zeiss vs Swarovski, the differences in brightness, center/edge clarity and features is up to the individual’s eyes. The quality of glass, grind, coatings and build are so similar it’s debating over perception.

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
As good as a hunting scope can get.

Now all I need is a new rifle to put it on. 375 or 416 Ruger.....?

What’s your favorite hunting scope rifle combo.
Swarovski has beautiful glass.

I prefer Nightforcd to all others. Why? Glass is adequate, scopes are very durable, turrets are true and repeatable. They dont lose zero.

They are just workhorses.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,592 Posts
I like Steiner glass as far as binoculars. This is where my eyes spend a majority of the time

In scopes, I like Leupold, it's a trust issue and not so much the glass but the repeatability

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Swarovski has beautiful glass.

I prefer Nightforcd to all others. Why? Glass is adequate, scopes are very durable, turrets are true and repeatable. They dont lose zero.

They are just workhorses.
Nightforce makes great tactical scopes. I just don’t like them on hunting rifles. They have really stepped up their glass quality and coatings in the past few years. Their ATACR line has caught up with S&B as far as glass... imho.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,527 Posts
FOR LONG shooting

Shepherd Scopes. Gives you fast options out to 1000 yds in split seconds.

For my Winchester Model 70 .375H&H I have Griffin and Howe quick release take down mount and a small 2-7 Burris that can be taken off the gun in seconds to get to the iron sights. Then slide the scope back on and return to zero.

Leupold, Burris, lots of other great glass out there
but for long shooting with potential "interesting" situations... give me a Shepherd.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If anybody is looking for a killer deal on a Zeiss V4 1-4x24 30mm tube:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Zeiss-CON...cle-62-Ext-Elevation-Turret-Locking-Sing.aspx

I have one of these on a 10/22 suppressed rifle.

The V4 line replaced the HD5 line. The glass is made in Japan to Zeiss specs w/Zeiss coating. (cost?). The glass is clear, sharper at the edges and has better color contrast that the HD5 scopes (I own 2 HD5 2-10s on pre-64 Winchesters featherweights .270/30.06) The scope is built like a tank and has very positive click turrets. The windage and elevation is easily set to zero and elevation is easy to dial in for ballistics dope. The reticle is great for a quick 3 gun shooting.

For the money it's a great stalking rifle scope, 22lr scope or AR scope. The glass is WELL and I mean W E L L above the price that this scope is being sold for.

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
If anybody is looking for a killer deal on a Zeiss V4 1-4x24 30mm tube:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Zeiss-CON...cle-62-Ext-Elevation-Turret-Locking-Sing.aspx

I have one of these on a 10/22 suppressed rifle.

The V4 line replaced the HD5 line. The glass is made in Japan to Zeiss specs w/Zeiss coating. (cost?). The glass is clear, sharper at the edges and has better color contrast that the HD5 scopes (I own 2 HD5 2-10s on pre-64 Winchesters featherweights .270/30.06) The scope is built like a tank and has very positive click turrets. The windage and elevation is easily set to zero and elevation is easy to dial in for ballistics dope. The reticle is great for a quick 3 gun shooting.

For the money it's a great stalking rifle scope, 22lr scope or AR scope. The glass is WELL and I mean W E L L above the price that this scope is being sold for.
When you say built like a tank, do you mean how it feels to manipulate, or actual internals and fidelity? A lot of people say the Vortex Razor hd2 1-6 is "built like a tank", but I refuse to use them due to their internals.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you say built like a tank, do you mean how it feels to manipulate, or actual internals and fidelity? A lot of people say the Vortex Razor hd2 1-6 is "built like a tank", but I refuse to use them due to their internals.
To be fair I’ve never had any V4 I own have any mechanical issue. For that matter none of the 5HDs have failed. I did send back a 2-8 Conquest DL because I did not like the edge distortion at 2x. Zeiss Germany said it was in spec and that was part of the scope. They said that if I wasn’t satisfied with that, that they would credit me @ $200 more than I paid for the scope and sell me any new model at a reduced cost. I upgraded, paid the difference and I’ll never say a bad word about their CS.

The V4 1-4 I own has not seen hard use. The other V4s and HD5s have seen hard use in the field. The hardest thing a rifle scope can go through (non military) is continual random vibration, in random positions, from driving around in ATVs stalking all day. This is followed by bumps. Followed by recoil and repeat. None of the V4s or HD5s have failed to hold zero or dope out to 500m.

The zero stop is simple and easy to set. The Eye relief is huge. Not a true 1x, but more like a 1.1x. Turret adjustments are crisp and positive with click. They are even torque to start and continue.

They claim 13ft waterproof for 2hrs. This means that all the mechanical is in the tube and not the ocular.

Germany design and Japanese made. They claim to keep cost down. Not ED glass and missing the V8 top coatings, but glass is well above price point. The water/smudge proof coatings works.

What I don’t like. On the adjustable parallax models, the adjustment knob is STIFF. The windage cap is polymer. While durable, it’s funky to thread. More on the heavy side than light.

Oh and it feels like it’s built like a tank....;)

Here is the reticle spec:

There, my commercial is done.

Here is the 1-4x on a 10/22 custom job

1 - 20 of 56 Posts