Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love a six shooter, but I really think a semi auto is best for self defense. One problem though, I hate the way some of the smaller calibers slide comes back over my hand. Does anyone else feel that way?

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Some of the older heavier guns such as the Colt 380 Government will not do this but you will pay a pretty prayer for one of these. I myself still prefer a wheel gun. I do not carry as I think that might be unwise as I use narcotics for pain, I can see that one in the paper now! Hyped up X-Marine kills innocent junkie mugger trying to make a living. For the house and when I forget I have a Ruger KGP-100. It is heavy but it is all gun and if I need more than six I should have brought a rifle. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I have, and carry both pistols and revolvers, sort of depending on what I'm doing.

I have a real soft spot for S&W/Ruger six guns, in .357.

·
Strive to Survive
58 Posts
A lot of the sub compact semi's will bite you simply due to you trying to get a full grip on the gun and the web of your hand getting dangerously close to the slide. Try gripping several styles at your local gunshop.....you'll find one that's right for you. I like 6 shooters also but carry a big Beretta with 17 in the mag and 1 up the pipe. Living in Memphis, you need all you can carry!;)

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
...One problem though, I hate the way some of the smaller calibers slide comes back over my hand. Does anyone else feel that way?
The only semi-auto handgun I'm aware of that does not have the slide coming over your hand is the German Luger (and similar designs) where the toggle redirects the movement of the slide upward. Some slides are close enough to top of the grip that it may cut you, if that's what you mean. The worst of those for me are the Walther PPK .380 and a Fritz Mann antique .25acp.

Allan

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
yep i have this probelem too. Most all small frame semi-autos the slide comes back and cuts my hand. I have large hands by the way. My wifes old walther ppk.380 was the worst about it. her Taurus pt111 9mm is close but i can shoot it most of the time without this happening.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
:D:bearfoot 25 I think maybe I just keep my hands too high on the grip.But I guess I could have big hands for a girl. Its the way my dad taught me when I was a child (a long time ago haha). Oh reah I am 5'10" tall

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ammo I love the s&w 45 but stick with smaller calibers when semi auto

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
birdman Thats the only one I really ever liked. My uncle and dad have one. They don't feel like their flying apart when they recoil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts