Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I went to a pawn shop and spotted 2 Remington VTR rifles. I nabbed the .308 rifle for $600.00. It has been shot just a little bit, maybe 50 rounds. It is in immaculate condition. I left the .223 version behind for somebody else to buy. It came with a 3 by 9 Hawke scope mounted on it. Because of Illinois' laws I can't pick it up for a few days. Here they have a "cooling off" period of like 3 days. You buy the rifle on the 1st or whatever and on the 4th you can pick it up. I am looking forward to testing the rifle out. Can't wait.

·
Apostle to the Orthodox
393 Posts
Some Remington 700's have a design "characteristic" that is resulting in half a dozen wrongful death suits against Remington every year. The problem is that the trigger system's floating transfer bar can get crud, dirt, debris, or ice under it, with the effect of having pulled the trigger, even though the rebound spring's brought the trigger back into "not-pulled" status.

Granted, some bozo's forgotten the rule, "always point the muzzle in a safe direction", puts a round in the chamber, points it at ol' grannie's punkin head and shoves the bolt one way or the other, or puts the safety on or off. The gun thinks the trigger's been pulled, and grannie's head explodes like the proverbial punkin.

The X-Mark Pro trigger system is designed, in part, to eliminate that characteristic. Remington will not say anything to admit liability or treat that characteristic as a design flaw, because, after all, the gun works the way it was designed to work, and if bozo shoots his own grannie, it's his fault, not Remington's.

Remington has never issued any recall campaign, and doesn't have to. Firearms manufacturers are specifically exempt from the Consumer Product Safety Commission's rules.

However, I recently sent mine back to Remington having asked them about it. They replaced the trigger system for free as a "customer goodwill gesture", so I'd be more comfortable with the gun. (I had stopped putting cartridges in it at all, had no intention of using it for anything, and had gone out and bought a Weatherby to replace it with.)

Remington had it back to me in less than a week, including shipping, and it's phenomenal. They were eminently decent about the whole thing, and I couldn't be happier with Remington, now.

·
Hunter Farmer
42 Posts
I purchased a new VTR with 5-R Rifling in .308. I put a Nikon scope on it and it took about 15 rounds to get it zeroed on bull at 130 yards which is about the distance of most deer fields I hunt. I will zero it out to 250 yds this weekend. I got .308 because of the popularity of that round and ease of obtaining ammo. A reloader is on my Christmas list. It shoots smoothly and my shoulder was not sore the next day. I think it is a fine all purpose hunting and sniping rifle for the distances I need to cover. Right tool for the job I need. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Wife and I went to a pawn shop and spotted 2 Remington VTR rifles. I nabbed the .308 rifle for $600.00. It has been shot just a little bit, maybe 50 rounds. It is in immaculate condition. I left the .223 version behind for somebody else to buy. It came with a 3 by 9 Hawke scope mounted on it. Because of Illinois' laws I can't pick it up for a few days. Here they have a "cooling off" period of like 3 days. You buy the rifle on the 1st or whatever and on the 4th you can pick it up. I am looking forward to testing the rifle out. Can't wait.
Sounds good brother.:thumb:
I would be interested in your findings after you take it to the range, to include your impression of the optic.

any pics?

11B

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.