Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Telling me that someone posted in a thread I posted in. They come all at once every few days or so.

How do I turn this off?

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Go to "User control panel"...

Click "Edit options" (from side bar)

Scroll down to "Messaging and Notification".

Change tab to "No Email notification"

Thats all.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
I got 100 emails in the last 24 hours. I was NOT subscribed to any notifications, yet in my user CP, I was.

How did this happen?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I got 100 emails in the last 24 hours. I was NOT subscribed to any notifications, yet in my user CP, I was.

How did this happen?
It would help if I knew "what" the email said.

You should only receive an email from this site when:

1. You are subscribed to a thread
2. Someone sends you a private message, you receive an email notification.
3. Have not visited the site in 30 days - then again if you have not visited in 4 months.

This site does not send out news letters, does not sell your email address, and this site does not spam your email. You are in total control of how much email you get from this site.

Another option - you can enter a fake email address into your control panel and you will never receive anything from this site ever again.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
The e-mails all said the same thing in the header:

"You have received a notification via your subscription to this thread..."

Or thereabouts, standard BBS notice when you ARE subscribed, yet I was NOT subscribed to ANY threads, replies, etc.

I go into my user CP, and I AM subscribed to 4 pages of threads. I did not do it, so....

??

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
By default I'm suscribed to every thread I post in.

However if you follow my previous post's instructions you should never recieve any "new posting notification" emails. Try it out.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
Hello?

I am VERY familiar with the various BBS systems and how to receive AND NOT receive notifications. I NEVER set ANY notifications to "On". Ever. Never have, never will. And rest assured, I went right in and DELETED ALL SUBSCRIPTIONS.

I did NOT set any to "on" here either. Have not received a single one until last night. Suddenly, I am subscribed to 4 pages worth of threads.

I did not set the notification...repeat...I did not set the notification.

Glitch? Hack?

Surely, I do not know, but either possibility needs investigation by the site owners.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I go into my user CP, and I AM subscribed to 4 pages of threads. I did not do it, so....

??
Alrighty - This is entitled Forum Subscriptions 101

When the site Admin (kev) sets up a forum (such as this site) he will sometimes set the members options to subscribe to every thread they post in, or not to subscribe at all.

The subscription options are:
Do not subscribe

No email notification - this keeps a record of every post you make in your profile.

Instant email notification - the site emails you the second a reply is posted to a thread you have posted in. This works good for tech support forums. Where you need to know if an answer has been posted ASAP. If I have a question about something, I will sometimes subscribe to a thread and with an instant notification.

Daily email notifications - Once a day the site will send you a list of threads that you have posted to, and in which replies have been posted.

Weekly email notifications - Once a week the site will send you a list of threads that you have posted to, and in which someone replied to your post.

Managing your which subscription method you want is done through your control panel - http://www.survivalistboards.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

And scroll down until you see - "Default Thread Subscription Mode", its in the second big box - "Messaging & Notification."

You may ask yourself, why would a site admin set the members to subscribe to threads?

Its a way for the site Admin to get their members to return. If you never hear from a site, sometimes you will forget about it. I have been watching a thread in a webmasters forum for about 3 months now. :) Its set to instant notification, and about once a week I get en email saying that someone posted a reply.

Some members like the notifications, some members do not. If you do not like the notifications, then turn them off. Its that simple. I am not here to spam your email inbox. I dont even care if I have your correct email.

Years ago, I was so worried that people would sell my email address that I would change it as soon as I got my account created and got logged in. My favorite fake email address to use was - [email protected]. After I signed up for several dozen forums I realized that site admins on most forums do not spam your email address or sell your email address - and I do neither.

Having your correct email address in your control panel is there for one single purpose - and that is if you forget your password you can have it reset. And the site will email your account details to you. That is it, that is the only single reason why you even need to have an email address for this site.

When members created their account on this site, they did not have to confirm their account through their email. Most sites will send you an email, and you have to click a link in the email to activate your account - not here. And why is that? Because I do not care if you entered your real email address or not. I have used fake email addresses in the past, and I expect members here to do the same thing.

At the bottom of every email you receive from this site their should be a link and instructions on how to unsubscribe. Most people have heard that you never unsubscribe because that just confirms your address to spammer. Well, this site does not spam. If you do not want the emails, follow the link at bottom of the email and unsubscribe - its that simple.

How much email you get from this site is entirely in your hands.

If you do not like the automatic thread subscription setting - then change it to no subscription. Once again, the link is http://www.survivalistboards.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

============== EDIT ==================

I went ahead and changed the settings so that new members will not receive emails to subscribed threads. They will appear in your control panel, but no emails will be sent out.

This only applies to new members. Existing members will still have to change those settings in your control panel.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Way ahead or talking to a wall?

;)
While I was typing up my reply, you posted yours. :)

Every once in awhile someone will ask this same exact question, so I made this thread a sticky. The next time someone ask about emails from this site, I will post a link to this thread as a reply.

I did not set the notification...repeat...I did not set the notification.

Glitch? Hack?

Surely, I do not know, but either possibility needs investigation by the site owners.
The setting for new members was "automatically subscribe with weekly emails."

That has been changed to "Do Not Subscribe"

Sending out notification emails puts a load on the server anyway. So I am just going to go ahead and disable that for new members.

·
"Through a glass, darkly"
1,948 Posts
The board was having GI problems, or Kev was giving it a colonoscopy earlier today. It went from not responding, to "Data Base Error". Affected several people:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showpost.php?p=570740&postcount=31
Then I noticed something unusual when it finally came back on-line. I got 6 email notices, stamped less than a minute from each other, all for the same thread, all for the same "new post". First time this has ever happened when there have been board issues, but it was like the board kept sending the same notice, over and over again. :confused:

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
First time this has ever happened when there have been board issues, but it was like the board kept sending the same notice, over and over again. :confused:
Your account is set to subscribe to threads that you post in with automatic notification.

To change these settings, go to this link - http://www.survivalistboards.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

And look for "Default Thread Subscription Mode"

But its normal to get emails about threads that you have subscribed to.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Thanks Kev,

I initially thought this thread was about unsolicited E mails...
Which has never happened here...Much appreciated....

I did come across a spammer on this site, maybe a week ago, I'm glad to see they are gone and that you are on top of that kind of stuff...

·
1,948 Posts
Your account is set to subscribe to threads that you post in with automatic notification.

To change these settings, go to this link - http://www.survivalistboards.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

And look for "Default Thread Subscription Mode"

But its normal to get emails about threads that you have subscribed to.
Thanks. Yeah, I've had it set up the way I wanted for notices, but after getting the "Data Base Error" when trying to connect, after the error phase passed, I was notified 6 times about the exact same post. Just one of those quirky thing....

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I dont know why you got all of those emails when the server came back online.

·
1,948 Posts
There's a Gremlin in the system, Kev. :eek:
I just started a new thread, and there has been one reply to it. I immediately got THREE email notifications, all time/date stamped exactly the same, and all referencing the one post. I followed the link, and sure enough, there was only 1 reply. :space

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I wonder if anyone else is having this problem?

If the emails are a problem, and if you wish, I can change that setting so you do not get an email. A list of all the threads you posted in is saved to your control panel - http://www.survivalistboards.com/usercp.php

In the left hand column of your control panel, scroll down until you see subscribed threads - List Subscriptions

http://www.survivalistboards.com/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

That is where you can view and delete the threads you are subscribed to.

·
1,948 Posts
I wonder if anyone else is having this problem?

If the emails are a problem, and if you wish, I can change that setting so you do not get an email. A list of all the threads you posted in is saved to your control panel - http://www.survivalistboards.com/usercp.php

In the left hand column of your control panel, scroll down until you see subscribed threads - List Subscriptions

http://www.survivalistboards.com/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

That is where you can view and delete the threads you are subscribed to.
Thanks, Kev, but I have it set up the way I want it. It's not a problem. I'd rather get notified 3 times, than not at all. Hahaha.
Cyber poltergeists. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts