Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spears are, in my opinion, the most terrifying weapon you can be faced with. Purely stabbing, lots of momentum and pivotal action due to the length of the weapon, very light but strong, and to top it all of, you can even throw them with huge force very accurately over short distances. So I was thinking that, if the type of "SHTF" occurred where there was absolutely no time for anything, just a get out and get away type situation (incoming nuclear strike, for example) I would want the best weapon I could possibly get my hands on (I will also get a shotgun/rifle when I get a license, UK here), for hunting and in case of any raiders. I've simply got a kitchen knife and taped it to 2 long, thin bamboo sticks that are very strong, and it looks and feels great, in a way that a knife or a sword never could. (obviously I'll be looking to improve and upgrade ;))

Anyone tried something similar? I'd highly recommend it. Like I said, if I were hypothetically put into a gladiator arena and there would be one weapon I would absolutely dread to be up against, it's a spear..

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Spears are, in my opinion, the most terrifying weapon you can be faced with. Purely stabbing, lots of momentum and pivotal action due to the length of the weapon, very light but strong, and to top it all of, you can even throw them with huge force very accurately over short distances. So I was thinking that, if the type of "SHTF" occurred where there was absolutely no time for anything, just a get out and get away type situation (incoming nuclear strike, for example) I would want the best weapon I could possibly get my hands on (I will also get a shotgun/rifle when I get a license, UK here), for hunting and in case of any raiders. I've simply got a kitchen knife and taped it to 2 long, thin bamboo sticks that are very strong, and it looks and feels great, in a way that a knife or a sword never could. (obviously I'll be looking to improve and upgrade ;))

Anyone tried something similar? I'd highly recommend it. Like I said, if I were hypothetically put into a gladiator arena and there would be one weapon I would absolutely dread to be up against, it's a spear..
Someone who is properly trained can disarm you with their bare hands.

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
I really like to use the "spear". When I was young we would use a "gig" (Imagine a small trident-like head) It would have 3 - 5 prongs.

I keep a couple of gig-heads in my B.O.B. to mount on self made spears. great on frogs, fish, crab, etc I highly recommend them for preppers for not only game procurement but could also be used as protection as a spear tip and booby-traps.

Personally I would never want to be on the business end of one. The "prongs" are somewhat flexible and I have no doubt they would deflect around a rib or two. Not to mention each one has a barb on the end like a fishing hook. Pulling one OUT of the flesh would probably be 10 times worse than getting gigged with it.

I am having trouble finding these in WY. Maybe its a southern thang! Guess I will have to get em off Amazon.com

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Heh, no offense, but you sound like you're one of those martial arts fanboys who thinks that stuff like Kill Bill is real and that going to karate class once a week will somehow make you an invincible warrior. :D:
No. I did practice against a Bo Staff both unarmed and using 2 knives though. I quit practicing this after I cut my opponent, causing him to get a dozen stitches on the outside edge of his palm. The tip of my knife went in 2" deep in a semi-circular "sweep". The only way I knew he was cut was the shocked look on his face from the pain. Come at me with a spear and you're in trouble. Not cockiness, just confidence. I prefer in close fighting and trained against stand-off type weapons I.E a spear, rifle mounted bayonet, or long stick.

These weapons kept me at a distance so I trained to overcome them so I COULD get in close and do REAL damage, both armed with knives and unarmed. If you thrust the spear at me, I can sidestep, grab below the spearhead and splinter that bamboo you are using. Then I could use YOUR spearhead against you.:xeye: Like any weapon it is only as good as it's limitations and your familiarity with both strengths and weaknesses. My first suggestion is lose the bamboo and replace it with something more strong but still flexible. Second I would suggest that you lose the knife and use an actual spearhead.

Oh, "Kill Bill" is cool for a movie but basically stupid. Like almost all movies, the outcome is carefully planned and choreographed to PRODUCE a certain outcome. Actual fighting is nothing like that.

·
ERROR_SUCCESS
371 Posts
No. I did practice against a Bo Staff both unarmed and using 2 knives though. I quit practicing this after I cut my opponent, causing him to get a dozen stitches on the outside edge of his palm. The tip of my knife went in 2" deep in a semi-circular "sweep". The only way I knew he was cut was the shocked look on his face from the pain. Come at me with a spear and you're in trouble. Not cockiness, just confidence. I prefer in close fighting and trained against stand-off type weapons I.E a spear, rifle mounted bayonet, or long stick.

These weapons kept me at a distance so I trained to overcome them so I COULD get in close and do REAL damage, both armed with knives and unarmed. If you thrust the spear at me, I can sidestep, grab below the spearhead and splinter that bamboo you are using. Then I could use YOUR spearhead against you.:xeye: Like any weapon it is only as good as it's limitations and your familiarity with both strengths and weaknesses. My first suggestion is lose the bamboo and replace it with something more strong but still flexible. Second I would suggest that you lose the knife and use an actual spearhead.

Oh, "Kill Bill" is cool for a movie but basically stupid. Like almost all movies, the outcome is carefully planned and choreographed to PRODUCE a certain outcome. Actual fighting is nothing like that.
so poco...by your logic, all weapons could be 'overcome' so why even have a weapon? you can take the spear away form 'who'....you assume you can disarm everyone and i seriously doubt that.....!

splinter bamboo...LOL...you must not have to cut bamboo out of your yard very often.....:D:

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you thrust the spear at me, I can sidestep, grab below the spearhead and splinter that bamboo you are using.
This is just the type of ludicrious, dream-world, purely theoretical martial arts nonsense that makes me laugh. I mean, it's only a short step away from saying "if you shoot at me with the gun, I will dodge the bullets or catch them in my teeth, do a backflip and disarm you". I will believe it when I see it in the actual real world, not some slow-motion dojo nonsense like this:

http://www.ehow.com/video_5773642_empty-hand-samurai-spear-disarm.html

By the way, you're seriously underestimating the strength of bamboo.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
so poco...by your logic, all weapons could be 'overcome' so why even have a weapon? you can take the spear away form 'who'....you assume you can disarm everyone and i seriously doubt that.....!

splinter bamboo...LOL...you must not have to cut bamboo out of your yard very often.....:D:
This is just the type of ludicrious, dream-world, purely theoretical martial arts nonsense that makes me laugh. I mean, it's only a short step away from saying "if you shoot at me with the gun, I will dodge the bullets or catch them in my teeth, do a backflip and disarm you". I will believe it when I see it in the actual real world, not some slow-motion dojo nonsense like this:

http://www.ehow.com/video_5773642_empty-hand-samurai-spear-disarm.html

By the way, you're seriously underestimating the strength of bamboo.
sigd I grew up with bamboo in my yard. For about 14 years I made all kinds of stuff from it. blowguns,chinaberry guns,bows,arrows, storage tubes, etc., EVEN Spears. While it is green it is very flexible and hard to break. Once it ages and turns brown, unless it is "cured", it becomes more fragile. Even green it can be splintered and even more flexible. It would then resemble more of a morning star or whip than a spear. I was serious when I said pick something flexible, but harder to break. Bamboo is HOLLOW, so is weaker than some SOLID building materials.

You can believe whatever you like. I'm just telling you MY experiences with an improvised weapon such as you are describing. IF you insist on using Bamboo I would suggest losing the knife and just sharpening the bamboo. THEN it would resemble a very large hypodermic needle. IMO this would be more dangerous than what you have described thus far. Just make sure that the "joint" is at the bottom of the tip to help strengthen it. IF you'd like you could even hollow out the joints and insert some other material and add epoxy or some such to further strengthen it. But just "Plain" bamboo? No way. A sapling would be better.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Please tell me how a spear can transform into Indiana Jones handgun? He throws the spear? Then he has no weapon. Talk about "Noob Failure".:xeye:
LoL. Easy there, Chuck Norris, you entirely missed the joke.. Lighten up.

Hopefully it never comes down to me duct taping a kitchen knife onto a broom handle or bamboo (as if..) to use as an improvised last-ditch or grab-n-go defensive weapon. If it's gotten to THAT point, you've failed in your planning and preparation. Go back to the drawing board and reassess the nature of your survival planning

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
I am properly trained and given the choice I will be the one with the spear thanks.
OK so since you have training please tell us what happens once someone manages to get in past the tip of your spear? You Just lost effectiveness of the point of the spear correct? UNLESS you "Choke up" on the spear making it an unwieldy knife. This puts you at a serious disadvantage correct? You would now have 3-6 feet of "Handle" behind you to catch or hit everything behind you also limiting your chance for thrusts upward.

21,494 Posts
OK so since you have training please tell us what happens once someone manages to get in past the tip of your spear? You Just lost effectiveness of the point of the spear correct? UNLESS you "Choke up" on the spear making it an unwieldy knife. This puts you at a serious disadvantage correct? You would now have 3-6 feet of "Handle" behind you to catch or hit everything behind you also limiting your chance for thrusts upward.
No it puts you at 50 /50 At which point you are both beating each other up trying to get control of the spear.

But it is all about getting past that pointy bit which is not all that easy.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
LoL. Easy there, Chuck Norris, you entirely missed the joke.. Lighten up.

Hopefully it never comes down to me duct taping a kitchen knife onto a broom handle or bamboo (as if..) to use as an improvised last-ditch or grab-n-go defensive weapon. If it's gotten to THAT point, you've failed in your planning and preparation. Go back to the drawing board and reassess the nature of your survival planning
You do realize that Chuck Norris is now gonna' hunt you down and kick your butt for insulting him like that right?:D:

I'm no "Martial Artist". I have done some training while in the military though. No "Expert" in anything other than M-16. :thumb: Give me one of those and if I can see you, I can hit you out to 300 meters +/-. The closer someone gets, the shorter range my weapon gets. Inside 25 meters and I want a handgun if they're running towards me. Inside 10 meters I want a knife. Then ultimately hand to hand. The closer they get the worse my situation is, you're right. Even experts can fall to someone "Lucky". I would rather be "lucky" than "good". But even better is Lucky AND good! Or Good and lucky. :D:

21,494 Posts
You do realize that Chuck Norris is now gonna' hunt you down and kick your butt for insulting him like that right?:D:

I'm no "Martial Artist". I have done some training while in the military though. No "Expert" in anything other than M-16. :thumb: Give me one of those and if I can see you, I can hit you out to 300 meters +/-. The closer someone gets, the shorter range my weapon gets. Inside 25 meters and I want a handgun if they're running towards me. Inside 10 meters I want a knife. Then ultimately hand to hand. The closer they get the worse my situation is, you're right. Even experts can fall to someone "Lucky". I would rather be "lucky" than "good". But even better is Lucky AND good! Or Good and lucky. :D:
I admit I used a styer not a M16 but don't most assault rifles have a range that starts from the front of the barrel up to 300 meters. So if they are inside 25 meters the thing should still work fine.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
No it puts you at 50 /50 At which point you are both beating each other up trying to get control of the spear.

But it is all about getting past that pointy bit which is not all that easy.
CQC(arms reach) I would rather have a knife than a spear. Getting past the point is just a matter of patience and timing. I also disagree with 50-50. More like 30-70 in Arms reach. I also carry a few knives EDC, so it's not like I just have one. Deflect with one, attack with the other. I'm NOT after the spear, I'm after you. In close the spear is worthless against 2 knives. Go back to your dojo and practice and see. Once your opponent is past the tip you are at a disadvantage. Every person I have ever seen use a spear Tries to keep their opponent at bay. They HAVE to, to keep the tip in play.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts