Survivalist Forum banner

I just got robbed...

7K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  Crutch 
#1 ·
I thought our place was well fortified. 2 story walls etc. 3 Mexican teenagers did a well coordinated plan. They hop around like monkeys. We have a patio in the middle of the 2 stories....They somehow made it to the roof and hopped down to the patio. I own a restaurant on the side of my house. We were sleeping at 10 am in the morning. They broke the glass to our bathroom and then we both woke up. We ran into the cafe and they escaped. Never felt so vulnerable in my life. You can´t get a gun in Mexico unless you get one in Mexico city which is far more dangerous then my city. Sucks for the citizens. We are relying on machetes right now.

#5 ·
I am sorry this happened to you and your family.

Now you know where you are vulnerable. It is time to shore up your defenses.

Nail/glass strips under windows and door ways (these can be rolled and store during daylight). Also, a guard dog on the roof (if possible) or a solar alarm system.

Keep us informed on what you are doing.

#9 ·
first, i believe this may be a troll post. one of the guys trying to put out the "what if" scenarios to get people thinking. but, ill respond anyway. if you are in mexico then you should know that the mexicans deal with this the very same way that the haitians do. all the walls have a concrete cap into which different sharp objects are placed so that it resembles a poor mans bed o nails. they used broken glass, steel, pretty much anything sharp. on the walls and just inside the walls were either/or barbed wire,concertina wire, and razor wire for a few feet. makes it harder to get in and much harder to get out. if they start getting caught or injured trying to escape it should stop.in haiti they would put stuff on the sharp objects that would cause infections also. most of this is illegal in the states, but worked wonders in haiti. i have also seen it in mexico. its strange that you havent.

#25 ·
Why bother. Our ATF will be glad to give him assault rifles if he swears he hates America and declares him self a drug lord.

ATF= Arming Terrorist Forces

Reactions: Horned One
#13 ·
Now you are awaken. Be vigilant. You may very well need to put bars on the windows. Maybe even fortify your home as well.

Be careful of advice about using a gun. Too many people think a firearm is a magical solution. *Just buy one and your troubles disappear*

Not only do you need to be very well trained on using one, you need to understand how to cope with matters after you do.

I hope you fare well.

#16 ·
Get a big dog. Not many will enter if they see a dog in the house.

Bond with the dog and the dog will give its life for yours.

I have a Wolf/Husky mix and he may be cute and gets lots of hugs from kids and teenage girls, but as soon as someone walks onto my property he lets them know its his territory. Found him at the dog pound when he was a puppy.

I was going to get the one in the paper that said, huge German Sheppard to give away, Loves kids. lol

#17 ·
Our house borders my cafe. It has a open air patio that seperates the two. My 2 foot by 2 foot bathroom window faces the patio. That is one of our only weakspots. We called the police and they came out and basically did nothing. I am just glad we are safe and that they got away with nothing. They took the money from the cafe and tried to open it on the roof. When they heard us wake up they dropped it and somehow scaled down two stories really quickly. I have heard that theives will always return to a scene of a crime. True?

#18 ·
I have heard that theives will always return to a scene of a crime. True?
There is a strong likelihood that they will come back again.

I recommend that you at least move the location where you keep the money. Preferably get a stronger safe/whatever. I also recommend you do as others have said; make your entrances and barriers harder to get past. I haven't been to Mexico, but I have seen the embedding of broken glass, nails and such as others have mentioned, in photos others have shown me of walls and windows in Mexico.

Also, I recommend that you get some alarms - something that will let you know when someone has entered an area where they shouldn't be after hours. There are simple and inexpensive motion detectors that will alarm when something moves in an area. Since you are often right there these would be effective.

Beyond that, I would arm myself in whatever fashion you think you can. If you are not willing to break the law by getting a gun, then get something that is legal, a baton, pepper spray and so on.

#33 ·
So go back to the states. Living the expat life ain't for everyone. Im sorry that you got robbed, but damn near everyone gets robbed once or twice in their lives, even here in the states. It is a huge kick in the nuts, and a big feeling of being vulnerable. It sucks, happened to me a few times. I wish I knew a magic word to tell you to make it all better, but you are in Mexico, and you are a rich Norteamericano, getting robbed happens, sleep with a knife, or move back to the states.

#31 ·
How could any Mexican Law enforcement seriously try and investigate a shooting. I mean what if.....and I say again "What if" someone were to shoot the bad guy with a gun obtained somewhere outside of Mexico and broke apart and shipped it in pieces to you via Fed x and just threw the bodies out on the street. With it being so completely out of control with all the drug lord killings would they really be able to seriously adequately investigate it past "oh well just another drug / thug killing.....

#35 ·
Well we didn´t get much sleep last night. I am a wreck today. To get anything done in mexico takes forever. We are sleeping with our machetes though. Thanks for all the well wishes. I am an American. I do want to buy a place in either Tennessee or Kentucky to use as a BOL. Money is really tight though. One day it´ll happen.

#38 ·
I don't know you from Adam, so I don't presume to know your situation.

I would like to point out a few general points.

Would you rather be living in a travel trailer in America, armed with a gun, starting over, relatively safe OR reside in Mexico, armed with a machete, being plagued upon by local thieves, in a land/culture that isn't your own?

You fate depends on your actions and Gods will. I suggest you take to the lord in prayer.

I also think you should job seek here in the states. You've obviously got internet, so apply online everywhere. Start in Texas. It's closer, more obtainable, and still booming despite the recession.

Reactions: 92bluexj
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.