Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Prep to LIVE a good life!
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although in the end I hope we are all nuts and the “S” never does “HTF,” I have gradually prepped for the worst. I have 3 basic rules I follow on everything. First, keep it simple. Second, don’t let my plans overtake my daily life. Finally, well… that one is private. Sorry.

Here’s what I have set up, and a a few ideas for those still in the early stages.

1. An urban B.O.B. I take with me every time I leave the house. It's a slightly used Miller-Lite gym bag containing shorts, sweatpants, socks, skivvies & t-shirt; Spare glasses; $500 cash; hair dye, Hygiene items, passport, local transit system map & schedule; a Springfield XD9 w/magazines (yes I have a C&C permit) & a few other miscellaneous items. I keep a clean, but stained towel tied to the shoulder strap & my gym shoes tied through the zipper clasp & around the carrying handles. Why advertise?

2. At the house I keep a long-term B.O.B. It’s a used MOLLE II pack system (in black) and has been equipped for any situation that might require me to be away for indefinite periods. Should the need arise; I can start over from scratch anywhere with this thing. I have patches & trinkets attached for the Sierra Club, NORML, Ansel Adams, Wildlife Refuge and Ben&Jerry’s; as well as several countries & outdoors sites. Again… why advertise? I’ve even gone so far as to learn about these organizations and places, just in case anyone decides to chat me up. One of my goals in all of this is to ensure I don’t get stuck with a bunch of strangers who are not prepared.

3. Approximately 45 minutes drive from the house, I have a storage unit where I keep a rebuilt pick-up truck with absolutely nothing computerized on it, and a trailer I built from an old Ford truck bed. The inside of the trailer, my truck bed & the Security lids have been paneled and insulated with expanding foam. I have loaded up everything I need to take with me WSHTF. I rotate containers of Drying Silca Gel as necessary. The unit’s monthly rental cost is dirt cheap because of the location, (I used to spend more on beer over a weekend). Also I was able to get the unit without my name being anywhere on paper.

4. Years ago I got some land 4 hours drive from my home. Over time I have built a nice place there & set up what I (along with my family & a couple of friends) would need to truly start over with relative ease. With time & sound advice from others, I have managed to build an environment of total self-sufficiency. It is stocked with food, tools, equipment, seeds, fuel, and etcetera. Depending on the extent of the “societal crash” we may have to struggle to get there, but once we do, things should be all right. It’s in a beautiful spot with farmable pastures, pecan & pear trees and wooded acres with plenty of game. However, in my opinion the best thing is that I did my research and found a location that takes care of my needs, but is nowhere near the areas most people will choose to go to (or have to).

My next postings to this thread will have more ideas I hope some of you will find helpful.

Thanks to everyone out there. Your input and ingenuity have been great!
Gridless

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
Good Job!

Sounds very well thought out.

The storage unit doesn't have electrically operated gates, I hope.

·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point on the power at storage, Mongo. Though it wasn't intentional when I got it, there is a side gate w/o power that each tenant has access to.

·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are just a few other things to help prepare for when SHTF; it can be inexpensive; done without disrupting your regular life; and keep you out of mind, off the grid; and on paper as little as possible.

Rental Storage Unit – Get with a trustworthy out-of-town friend on this, or a relative with a different last name. Each of you finds a storage facility in the area you want. Then you each take a trip to the other’s choice and rent a unit & give them the key. You send him/her the rental fee money each month. My buddy & I do a yearly payment. It’s much easier on both of us.

Rational & Simple Planning – Like most people I have responsibilities that may prevent me from heading to the hills right away. In addition, I am not going to stop living my life now, just to throw everything into this. So make your plans accordingly. Don’t try to buy everything at once. Make lists and plans, then refine, edit and prioritize them. You can do this daily if you want to. It will help you get to the basics first. That’s all you really need. Everything else is gravy. Also making lists and plans will keep your mind in the game, and in the end save you money and brain cells. Don’t get carried away with the SURVIVAL part. Remember, once you have survived, you have to live or you’ve wasted your time. So no need for 10 guns of different calibers when your needs can be handled by 1 or 2. Same for pistols. Why get ready to leave town if you don’t have a clue where you can go. Also remember that if you go off into the hills, you probably won’t be the only one out there. Even if you have the ammunition for a long stay, that doesn’t mean the local wild game will last. You have to have a plan for LIVING beyond that point.

More to come...

·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few more.

Practice – Whatever you plans are, make sure you are able to do the activity; work the equipment; & handle things properly. For example, I read a lot of postings about what pack or B.O.B. someone has, but how many people stay in shape enough to carry that pack 5, 10, 20 or more miles? If you have weapons, get to the range (or back 40) and shoot as often as possible. Going to hunt deer, turkey, etc? Then you need to get out there and do it when the season allows. You’ll need to dress them out, and process them accordingly. Going to raise your own vegetables, cattle, or chickens? Then you might look into local farms and ranches to get a side job for a while. You can use the extra cash to stock your home; or look into community farms where you can volunteer or rent a small beginner's plot.
Did you pick up that awesome Swedish Firesteel Stick you heard about? Great! Now learn how to use it before you need to. (Do it safely though)

Anyway, you get the point here. So, I’ll move on.

Location, Location, Location – More specifically, when planning you should, at all times, know where you are geographically, financially, & in ability.
How far are you from your loved ones, your stuff & where you’re going?
What can you afford & how do you conserve what you have?
Are you ready at that moment & if not how do you compensate?

More in minute...

·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can’t forget this one.

Bug Out Vehicles – I’ve read postings about Bug-Out-Vehicles & have a pretty good way to get one cheaply, if you’re patient and willing to get dirty.

Growing up in the country most of us kids were raised on this kind of stuff, but after living in L.A. for the past decade I learned that many “city-folk” are at a loss on Automotive D-I-Y.

Start going to impound auctions. Keep your eyes open for an old truck, S.U.V. or van that has a bad motor and tranny. They can be had for $50-$500. After that find a totaled-out vehicle with a good, low-mileage motor. Other parts such as interior, body panels, etc... can be found at salvage yards. So can the motor if you want to save time.

If you don’t have the tools or mechanical skills to do all of it, barter out the work you need done; or like a buddy did here, contact your local High School or County vocational/technical school about submitting your vehicle and parts as a project for the students. It won’t be free, but it’ll be cheaper. In addition some schools will let you participate.

Don't count yourself out though. Most of the work can be done by anyone with a Haynes or Chilton’s manual, some tools (rent them if need be) and a little patience.

By building a vehicle w/o unneccessary computer garbage and electronics, you will have something that is always easily repaired. And if you choose the right model you can ensure ready availablility of parts. Same principle as buying a rifle in a common caliber rather than the cool sounding newest thing.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
i'll bite. in my truck I carry 2 5 gallon jerry cans of gas at all times. also carry 2 gallons of potable water, sleeping bag, spare warm clothes, jumpercables, oil/ect, case of cup o noodles, flashlight & batteries, first aid kit, poncho, first aid stuff, flares.

When Im at work- which is often, I have the advantage of my Batman-like utility belt. This has my 9mm and 64 rounds (including 3 spare magazines), 2 cellphones, keys (which includes a small multi-tool and magnifying glass), mag light, and multi-pouch. The pouch is kind of large- but so am I- so I put up with it. It has a small pair of binocs, emergency poncho, lots of AAA batteries for my light and mp3 player, and a good supply of first aid gear (tweezers, gauze patches/rolls, antiseptic, naproxin, bactin gel, bandaids, ect)

last I carry in my pocket a small altoids can that has a small multi-tool, 25' of fishing line, 2 sinkers, 2 hooks, button compass, emergency whistle, signal mirror, small LED light, and 2 books of matches

Reactions: TRMP

·
22,122 Posts
thanks for reminding me, i need to go pick up some more fix-a-flat

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
i'll bite. in my truck I carry 2 5 gallon jerry cans of gas at all times. also carry 2 gallons of potable water, sleeping bag, spare warm clothes, jumpercables, oil/ect, case of cup o noodles, flashlight & batteries, first aid kit, poncho, first aid stuff, flares.

When Im at work- which is often, I have the advantage of my Batman-like utility belt. This has my 9mm and 64 rounds (including 3 spare magazines), 2 cellphones, keys (which includes a small multi-tool and magnifying glass), mag light, and multi-pouch. The pouch is kind of large- but so am I- so I put up with it. It has a small pair of binocs, emergency poncho, lots of AAA batteries for my light and mp3 player, and a good supply of first aid gear (tweezers, gauze patches/rolls, antiseptic, naproxin, bactin gel, bandaids, ect)

last I carry in my pocket a small altoids can that has a small multi-tool, 25' of fishing line, 2 sinkers, 2 hooks, button compass, emergency whistle, signal mirror, small LED light, and 2 books of matches
64 rounds. let me guess. ****adolescent and unnecessary insult to long standing member of this board removed by mod********

·
Registered
366 Posts
you guys are lucky WTSHTF i will have to walk to my location wich is in michgan(i choose not to say why) and i live in missouri. i say this based on how i think its gonna happen around my the time obama gets into office i have this rotting feeling in my gut within the first 2 weeks if not the day he gets into office somemthing bad will happen. and right now all i have is a suitcase full of food, a tacticalvest,a crappy backpack, and a few knives i would say aside from what i learned in my books i would be screwed. i know for a fact 2009 will be one wild year. and by the end of 2009 we will have road warrior type gangs and more laws that will make us more defenseless or at least thats what i predict

·
22,122 Posts
64 rounds. let me guess. ****adolescent and unnecessary insult to long standing member of this board removed by mod********
this being my final post on this board, let me cordially invite you to please
***profanity removed by Mod. point was well made****
and I thank you..

·
Registered
366 Posts
this being my final post on this board, let me cordially invite you to please
***profanity removed by Mod. point was well made****
and I thank you..
dont let this be your last post.

only worthless degernerates that have no use in society in any way shape or form will go to the low of making asumptions based on something they can prove.

dont let it get to you

ignore the guy.its the internet people will be mouthy simply because they know that you cant shove your hand through the screen and strangle them

1 - 20 of 27 Posts