Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I belive things like Head lice,ticks flea's,bed bugs and ring worm will be a big problem in the comeing days if things go bad.
Red clay or mud in the hair will get rid of the head lice,My mother said you put the legs of your bed in lid's off of a glass jar filled with kerosene and it keep the bed bugs away.
 

·
just doin my job..
Joined
·
421 Posts
my mom actually treats head lice as a part time job.. she uses tea tree oil products..
apperently in previous times it was common to soak and entire head (well hair anyways) in kerosene.. we have some egyptian friends and when they left egypt they were still using that technique.

I can't foresee hair problems happening for me, my Dad and I both have buzzcuts most of the time.. my moms hair is fairly short and my sisters hair is about shoulder length but if we ever came to a point that we couldn't get shampoo or the lice products then I'd shave both of their heads in their sleep before I dunked them in my valuable fuel :)
 

·
Renegade Vegan
Joined
·
175 Posts
Lice are perfectly happy in clean hair. They can survive tea trea oil and even commercial pesticide shampoos. It takes a lot of time and patience, but the most effective treatment is going through the hair few strands at a time and picking them out. Even if you're using some type of treatment, you'll still have to do that after to get the survivors.
 

·
cute is not always enough
Joined
·
2,232 Posts
I bathed every day in jr. high, and shampooed my hair, and I still got a case of head lice so I do not think that clean hair will prevent lice. It was a very mild case but I attribute that to the proactive warnings from the school board and my moms diligent observation of my head.
My mother said you put the legs of your bed in lid's off of a glass jar filled with kerosene and it keep the bed bugs away.
Kerosene would be a fire hazard. The British used water in bowls under the bed feet in medical wards during one of their wars in Africa. The water was a perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes so the patients had less problems with bed bugs and were infected with Malaria carried by the mosquitoes.

Real bed bugs (not the various other ticks, fleas, and lice) will probably not be a worry for many. They are almost exclusively a human parasite in North America. They hide in cracks and crevices so the most common way to get them is from buying used furniture or luggage that is infested or staying at a hotel after an infested person was there. If you live in a detached house the chances of bed bugs wandering in is almost zero. If you are bugging out after TSHTF and plan to avoid contact with people you are highly unlikely to get real bed bugs. You will just have to deal with all the rest of the parasites. :(

Canada is experiencing a surge in bed bug infestation. One of the big fears now is that the transit systems are becoming infested and millions rely on the bus for their daily commute to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Lice are perfectly happy in clean hair. They can survive tea trea oil and even commercial pesticide shampoos. It takes a lot of time and patience, but the most effective treatment is going through the hair few strands at a time and picking them out. Even if you're using some type of treatment, you'll still have to do that after to get the survivors.
Oh yes, I've done the fine-toothed comb/picking treatment on my step-daughters. It was not a nice experience for any of us! Dirty or clean, it doesn't matter. Those little buggers don't discriminate.
 

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
Joined
·
12,007 Posts
Head lice cannot live if you wash your hair with campfire/fireplace ash, and then run a find comb through it. Diatomaceous earth would probably work too.

What you do, is get a container. Fill it with ash and then top it off with water. Stir it up real good right before use. Then every day wash you hair with that. It will dry out your hair, but the lye in the ash burns them to death. Also, the ash is a bit gritty, so I think it physically cuts them up. It also smothers them.

When done, rinse real good, and comb with a fine comb to remove the bodies.


Used this with a girl I know, when her kid brought them home from school.

Keep in mind, the lye in the ash will continually soak out of the ash, into the water untill it can't anymore. So the longer you let it sit in the water, the stronger it gets. After a good week, or so, it will be strong enough to burn your scalp. It will feel like a sunburn. So change the ash out every 3 to 5 days.
 

·
Indefatigable
Joined
·
22,827 Posts
consult a dermatologist. they can prescribe effective medicines for head lice.
No Dermatologist or Rx necessary, ask your pharmacist, they are sold over the counter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,334 Posts
While working in a clinic doing 1000s of lice checks Treated 100s of cases of lice.
They don't care.
Things that I have seen work
The alkali based hair care products usually used by people with dense curly hair the alkali burns up (desiccates) the bugs.
Hair coloring or Perming once again PH extremes
Permethrin/ pyrethrum acquired in the gardening department and do the math for the proper concentration. ( this is a personal thing and done at your own risk )
Alcohol and tea tree oil and a patient, gentle nit picking. depending on the age of the kid Disney movies are a big help.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top