Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the S&P credit downgrade, I have stepped my prepping into overdrive.
3 trips to different stores today buying food and supplies.
When I shop I watch the prices closely and almost every time I go the prices are higher:eek: I'm stockpiling like a man possessed now. No holding back.
The throttle is wide open. I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel and it is a freight train.

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
I can not imagine the downgrade is going to have positive effects for us little people in America.

Any member here should have seen many many many posts that suggested that the US economic situation was not getting better.

What remains to be seen is how Americans, as a people, stand with each other. If we stand together, we can lick this problem and march on.

DE FUND all the stupid entitlements to start with. NO public TV adds ... unless it is CLEAR that the expenditure mitigates an increased cost.

Sadly, NO, you do not deserve a bigger food budget while you are on Food Stamps then I have while working.

I am comfortable with my preps. I wish I were in a situation where I could store more, but my lifestyle has me living with less.

I hope I already have enough for my future needs.

I wish that you now how enough for your own future needs.

Best of luck to all of us.

·
Sibi Totique
1,074 Posts
Then I think that you will have to institute a
• Red Alert +
• Red Alert ++
• Red Alert +++
into your scale as well. The economical situation is not good either in the US or EU region. And in a long term perspective with the global increase in population, Peak Oil and the depletion of renewable and non renewable resources things will most likely not improve. Most people live very well today. It’s likely that we will have to make do with less.

I would recommend a stronger focus on learning how to reduce spending, reduce debt, recycle and find local sustainable solutions within your community. The economy as we know is unlikely to continue forever; but this does not have to be the end of the world.

I do not think that the SHTF and TEOTWAWKI concepts always serve us well since they put a too strong focus on extremely severe scenarios and the perception how they will unfold. Don’t get me wrong: I’m worried about the future too. But the constant “THIS IS IT” mentality is really starting to get too much. I think that we would really benefit from some new concepts and ideas here on the boards.

·
Psalm 23:4
2,891 Posts
I think we got a way to go before things start gettin real scary. Could happen over night. But I aint feelin it yet. Dont want anyone to suffer but we need to make some serious changes as to how we spend. Only way thats gonna happen is when we hit bottom.

Unfortunately I think folks will just keep adjusting to the new normal. Increasingly lower standards of living. Spent a lot of time listening to my Grandparents talk about the Great Depression. Thats pretty much what folks did.

It will have to get really bad before Americans wake up and throw the current bums out of DC. Im talkin both sides.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I too have kicked it up a couple of notches - if I know it's something that is useful and will last for years - I buy it! - no more 'maybe laters'.

Just ordered my Royal Berkey today.

I remember reading reports in South America, inflation was so high and so fast, that people literally ran to their stores after getting their pay on pay days! They knew that if they didn't, by the time they got there, the price was going up.

·
Anyone?
3,673 Posts
Orange here.

Prices are rising fast. I'm taking out cash and buying THINGS that will not go down in value as quick as the dollar: farm implements, guns, solar panels, fuel, etc.

All those things I was on the fence about, I'm now spending on.

Added to the economic news, you now have black riots in WI and PA.
Things are not looking good folks.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
It's pretty obvious things are going from bad to worse - with no end in sight . I'm adding as much as I can to my preps . I'm on a very tight budget but I'm worried if I don't buy things now - everything will soon be unafordable or maybe unavailable .
If ever there was a time when the s could really htf in a big way , this is it ! This economic trouble we , and the rest of the world , are facing could start a domino effect . Depression lasting many years , buisnesses fail , banks fail , goods and services become scarce and/or unafordable , entitlement and welfare checks cut , civil unrest , martial law , etc. , etc. .

·
Banned
790 Posts
After the S&P credit downgrade, I have stepped my prepping into overdrive.
3 trips to different stores today buying food and supplies.
When I shop I watch the prices closely and almost every time I go the prices are higher:eek: I'm stockpiling like a man possessed now. No holding back.
The throttle is wide open. I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel and it is a freight train.
I am relatively new to prepping and am in a living situation that does not lend itself well to prepping. But, a huge part of this game is to do the best you can with what you have, right? So here I am, in far less than awesome conditions, doing the best I can.

• Last night I ordered a bunch of long term storage food to supplement my pile of standard canned/dry goods. I was planning on doing so anyway; the S&P thing was not a factor.

• Spent a good chunk of my summer upgrading my ham radio gear and reprogramming scanners. This was an easy one for me. I've been a ham since I was a kid and my knowledge of electronics is my strongest skill.

• Paid off all my credit cards. I am debt-free except for my mortgage

• I'm pretty well set for guns but would like to build up my ammo stock more. I can also hand load.

Areas where I'm still weak: Pretty much everything, but here's the biggies:

• I have a generator but fuel storage is an issue. I need to come up with a way to pump gas out of my truck.

• No alternative heat if natural gas supply fails in winter. I'm toying with the idea of a wood burning stove. Not sure how that can work, but solving this issue is high on my list.

• Water storage/filtration. All I have is a few cases of pop in the garage and 40 gallons of water in my water heater. I did get a hose to tap the heater if needed. We get a lot of rain here that can be consumed with minimal treatment/filtration. At the very least I need to get some big buckets

• Food. I have a small yard and not nearly enough space to grow everything I need. All I can do is store a lot of food and hope it's enough to last until things settle down. There is no better solution as long as I live here.

So...that's my story, briefly. I do feel far more prepared than I was even a year ago, but still so many holes in my plans!!

~Tevin~

·
Anyone?
3,673 Posts
Some thoughts for you

I am relatively new to prepping and am in a living situation that does not lend itself well to prepping. But, a huge part of this game is to do the best you can with what you have, right? So here I am, in far less than awesome conditions, doing the best I can.

• Last night I ordered a bunch of long term storage food to supplement my pile of standard canned/dry goods. I was planning on doing so anyway; the S&P thing was not a factor.

20lb bags of rice at Costco/Sams/Bjs - a cheap way to add calories to your food store

• Spent a good chunk of my summer upgrading my ham radio gear and reprogramming scanners. This was an easy one for me. I've been a ham since I was a kid and my knowledge of electronics is my strongest skill.

• Paid off all my credit cards. I am debt-free except for my mortgage

• I'm pretty well set for guns but would like to build up my ammo stock more. I can also hand load.

Assuming you have a .22:
Buy a few bulk packs of .22 at Walmart for $20 ea. That should boost your usable ammo quickly and give you barter items.

Areas where I'm still weak: Pretty much everything, but here's the biggies:

• I have a generator but fuel storage is an issue. I need to come up with a way to pump gas out of my truck.

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html

• No alternative heat if natural gas supply fails in winter. I'm toying with the idea of a wood burning stove. Not sure how that can work, but solving this issue is high on my list.

Kerosene heater. You'll have to figure out a way to store fuel, but it could give you a good interim solution.

• Water storage/filtration. All I have is a few cases of pop in the garage and 40 gallons of water in my water heater. I did get a hose to tap the heater if needed. We get a lot of rain here that can be consumed with minimal treatment/filtration. At the very least I need to get some big buckets

Google "sand filter". or spend $300 on a Berkey (well worth it).

• Food. I have a small yard and not nearly enough space to grow everything I need. All I can do is store a lot of food and hope it's enough to last until things settle down. There is no better solution as long as I live here.

Don't even worry about a self sustaining source of food yet. That's an "advanced" area of prepping. I've been toying with it for 2 years, now and I have a bit of rabbit meat and some squash and not much else to show for it.
Worth striving for, but it's a long term project.

So...that's my story, briefly. I do feel far more prepared than I was even a year ago, but still so many holes in my plans!!

~Tevin~

·
Registered
380 Posts
Personally I am elevated, but not a ton. Maybe 30% as opposed to my normal 10% "oh $H!T oh meter".

The downgrade will be ignored. HOWEVER the news from Germany that it may well not support helping Italy because Italy is too big to help . . .now THAT's a doozie. That could have some major implications.

God how I wish I could cash out my retirement right now.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Certainly time for me to get back to prepping.
It's easy to get distracted with everything life throws at you (medical/financial/etc).

Never a bad time to take inventory and get back at it, but now with a bit more vigor.
If nothing else, this unnerving time is a good excuse for me to get back on track.

·
Mountain William
736 Posts
I think we got a way to go before things start gettin real scary. Could happen over night. But I aint feelin it yet. Dont want anyone to suffer but we need to make some serious changes as to how we spend. Only way thats gonna happen is when we hit bottom.

Unfortunately I think folks will just keep adjusting to the new normal. Increasingly lower standards of living.
Agreed. Frog-in-the-pot.

I'm at Defcon 3. Concealed carry. Hyper-vigilant, hyper-aware.

Defcon 2 is when flashmobs become more prevalent, stores start having food shortages of severe price spikes, gas lines, power outages, J6P makes runs on local banks, etc. BOB (bigger brother to the Get Home Bag), M4orgery & extra mags start riding in the truck.

Defcon 1: Balloon has went up. Guns hot.

There should, (and I stress should), be a 5 to 7 day window were we will see it starting to get really bad.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
In my opinion, we are living in the days where we have slid off the top side of the bell-shaped curve. It's all down hill from here.

It started with easy credit. Easy credit cards, easy home loans. Our government has passed stimulus packages, TARPs, QE1, QE2, QE3 (coming soon), unprecedented printing of dollars, bank bailouts, auto bailouts, Cash 4 Clunkers (miniscule, I know but it ****es me off), more printing, tax credits reduced (trust me, I paid way more this year), entitlements growing, Obamacare, adding trillions to our debt in just a matter of a few years, wars we can't afford, raising the debt ceiling time and time again.

However, it has now come to a head: America's credit rating has been downgraded.

What now?

Good question. I'm not an economist, but I can easily see how this situation spirals out of control from here:

1) Will this pressure Moody's and Fitch to follow suit and lower our debt rating also? If so, there will be no debate, we will have slipped. This means that buying our T-Bonds is not as nearly a good investment as buying bonds from France, Germany, Australia, etc.

2) Since we are no longer considered the crem de la crem currency, we will most likely no longer be the anchor currency, or reserve currency. Therefore we will not be able to buy commodities nor borrow at the rate we do today.

3) That equals higher interest rates. Where? Across the board. Car loans, home loans, business and personal loans...all of it.

4) It won't stop there. Next item, inflation.

This problem gets exponentially worse as our government refuses to cut spending, inevitably will raise taxes (and drive businesses away and reduce federal revenue), we will be poorer and will look weaker, therefore making our T-Bonds even less appealing. Therefore, less and less countries will be willing to buy our debt to keep us afloat.

I'm not sure how long this will take, but I think this is the trajectory of our near future. I say this is fully realized in the next 5 - 10 years, ie by 2020.

It's time to prep now. It's only going to get tougher and more expensive to do so.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts