Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sweetheart of a husband has endured much from me this evening.

A trip to the supermarket -- and now a trip to Sam's Club, under 2 conditions:

1) I will not be going (because he wants to make it a quick trip) :)

and

2) I have 5 minutes to make my list (while he makes room in the car for the Sam's goodies yet to be bought!).

What to get????????

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess this little exercise was a fail.

I'm much better when I plan it out vs. just try to react.

At least he is on his way to replace a flattened dog bed. :)

·
workin on it......
1,110 Posts
Hell, I was in bed asleep when this thread was started! LOL! I could do a list in 5.
Sugar 50#
Salt 40#
Rice 50#
TP
Popcorn 50#
Coffee
Tea
Baking Soda 13#
grab some bags of hard candies and a bag of choc kisses lol

That didn't even take 5 mins. lol
I have a running list on the fridge for the different places I shop. I think of something, I put it on the list as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your ideas. We have both Costco and Sam's memberships, so it's not like we won't be going back soon. :)

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,796 Posts
I have a little spiral notebook (about the quarter of the size of a regular one). In it I have a page for 1-3 days, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and 1 years food and water preps. Each page builds off the previous one.

Everytime I purchase the amount I have down for any particular time frame I put a check mark in pencil by the item. If I have some but not the total, I write the number I have and erase and change until I meet my desired inventory.

Every month (sometimes twice a month if the hubby has an OT check coming) I'll check my inventory and make adjustments.

This notebook stays in my purse. It is always handy. That way I can tell at a glance what I have, need, can wait until a sale price comes up on. It is also a good way to keep my food preps balanced. I don't have to wonder if I should pick up something extra if it is on sale or can wait until the next sale cycle.

In the back is my "wish list" ... bigger ticket items I want but haven't purchased yet. When I save up enough money then I pick the thing I want the worst (or can find the cheapest), buy it and mark it off. Find something else I want?? Add it to the list.

The hardest part of this system was setting it up. After that it's pretty easy to work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ALWAYS buy extra cans of veggies and sauce (I should have called myself veggie mom instead i guess) because these cans are CHEAP and last for like 2 years. Besides, with a family of 5, we can actually eat a can of tropical fruit or green beans in a day or 2. And flour and sugar def a must have in the storage.

·
1,313 Posts
White sugar, flour, salt, beans, rice, pastas, cooking oil, coffee, tea, powdered drink mix, powdered milk, baking soda, bleach, toilet paper, commerical size foil, canned meats and veggies. Always have room for more of the above.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for the ideas.

However, this one is the objective winner; my husband groaned the loudest upon hearing me recite this one. :)

White sugar, flour, salt, beans, rice, pastas, cooking oil, coffee, tea, powdered drink mix, powdered milk, baking soda, bleach, toilet paper, commerical size foil, canned meats and veggies. Always have room for more of the above.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts