Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well a few weeks ago my income had dropped from around $700+ a week to about $350, with all of my bills,expenses and very limited Christmas shopping, I have been broke and owing money to friends. I have had to make a hard decision to raid my food reserves to save money. This sucks all my expenses have been going up, I owe taxes that are beyond my ability to pay, I have so many things I would like to get, like a new mattress, gym membership, gifts for loved ones. I feel depressed with my financial state right now. I hope things turn around soon, and gas stays low thanks for listening.

·
Registered
635 Posts
VanMan

Be glad you have a stash to take from to get you by, for some of us TSHTF sooner than later on. We keep stashing stuff for "emergencies" and then we get upset because we have to use it for something like this rather than some major event, it's like we only expect a worldwide disaster to be worthy of us using our preps. No so, there are different types of disasters, this financial thing is just one......

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well fellow New Englander, I think you've got to re think your priorities (ie gym membership...etc) best gift for your loved ones is YOU! money will come and go you just have to ride it out with a little bit more prudent thought process in the future...I can safely say that we have all done this at one point of our lives and hopefully we learn to do better in the future. Buck Up, it will work it's way out and you can help it along with a good, solid attitude.Survivalist survive!

·
one day at a time
2,478 Posts
You arent the only one thats had to do it. You wont be the last.

BUT remimber this is the main reason that we prep. This is the most basic example of why to prep. Your still blessed because you had the forsight to see that you may need something down the road and put up for it!

·
Registered
528 Posts
We all feel for you fella.

First thing you need to do is become and optimist, you have to do something right now to benefit yourself in the future, who's to say after Xmas you may get a great job and hey presto you are back, no matter what happens in your life and it might be bad now but it will get better, think about this what if you lived in a war torn part of the world, everyone around you is dying for the lack of food and water, you have a family who have to walk a 20 mile round trip just to get water to drink and that dirty but you know it's drink it or die, food, a small bowl of rice has to feed 4 people and that has to last you all day, when you look at it like that, your in a really good situation.

Keep your chin up fella and don't let the b*st*rds grind ya down.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Cheer up!!

You need to be thankful that you did prepare a stash to fall back on. Others who have lost their job don't have a stash.

I too will be using my stash, but I'm thankful that I have it to fall back on.
Also, be thankful that you are in good health. My husband's heart is barely functioning.

Christmas isn't all about presents. We lost sight of what Christmas was a long time ago.

Others would love to be in your shoes so cheer up and think of those things you have to be thankful for.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I started my own company 3yrs ago and have been living on the edge of being broke since. I do work for 2 major Gyms in the area and have been offered memberships in exchange for work. I am too tired at the end of the day to use them. How about yard work, pay someone to go into your yard and sweat while pushing a heavy mower around and making your yard pretty. Why the hell not do it yourself, save the money you would have paid the yardman and not need a gym to exercise in? Americans are getting too damn soft if you ask me, and yes I grew up spoiled in an upper middle class family but I think we all need to get dirty once in a while. I was putting on such a gut and burning so much gas traveling to and from my job that I made up my mind to bite the bullet and harden up a bit, glad I have.
You need to budget as best possible, might have to get 2 low paying jobs instead of 1 high paying and get dirty. Life is hard most of the time, but has it's rewards.

Could ya loan me a buck:eek::
VanMan, you own a van?

·
Registered
452 Posts
well a few weeks ago my income had dropped from around $700+ a week to about $350, with all of my bills,expenses and very limited Christmas shopping, I have been broke and owing money to friends. I have had to make a hard decision to raid my food reserves to save money. This sucks all my expenses have been going up, I owe taxes that are beyond my ability to pay, I have so many things I would like to get, like a new mattress, gym membership, gifts for loved ones. I feel depressed with my financial state right now. I hope things turn around soon, and gas stays low thanks for listening.
Be happy that you have the supplies. Taxes can wait. This whole situation will test you and get you used to eating from your stock.:)

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
Don't feel bad that you have to raid your food reserves this is exactly what you bought them for. If you didn't have them you could be in a much worse condition.

Why not try making presents instead of buying them and just go for a run instead of joining a gym. Don't bother with the taxes untill you have some more money. You can always adapt to the situation you are in.

Good Luck

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sometimes we get SO wrapped up in this whole SHTF mentality that we fail to realize that we have things prepped for ANY emergency situation, NOT just the end of the world, or a zombie attack.

ANYTIME you don't have the funds or means to go get a meal you need, or heat your home, or whatever...it IS an emergency situation,a nd that's what our preps are for! :)

Thank God you have them when you need them. When things get better for you financially, build your stash back up and then you'll have it for the next time you need it.

Hang in there man...keep the faith and know it'll get better.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sorry to hear about your money situation. It's really hard to be broke at this time of year especially. We're suppose to be feeling festive and happy. Often we feel like we are less because we can't afford gifts. Don't, really, your loved ones want you there more than they want your gifts. They probably feel bad because you feel bad. Just chip in with a little extra effort helping to set the table or to clean up after the meal.

As for dipping into your food stores...wouldn't you feel a bit silly getting to heaven and telling St. Peter you starved to death with a kitchen full of food? Rescuers have found people who died of dehydration in the desert with water still in their canteen. These people wanted to save that water for when they really needed it. You need food when you need it. If you need it now...well...then eat. Taxes or any payment you can't afford, get ahold of the IRS and explain your situation. There may be a whole lot of paper work to fill out but it is amazing how they will work with those who are honest and willing to set up some sort of payment plan. Of course don't show up to the IRS office in your company jet:rolleyes:, but do contact them and ask what you are to do. If one person is unwilling to help you ask to talk with someone else. Some of these civil servants get a little high on their horse, but others are willing to help out. IRS workers low on the totem pole can be in the same finacial problems we all face.

Best of luck and let us know how things are going.

blt

·
Banned
647 Posts
:)Thats what your food reserves are for. In case of emergency. I've had to do it myself.

Lots of good advice given here so far and there will be more to come.

You can do it. Please don't panic, take a couple deep breaths. Gifts can wait.

:)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yeh don't worry too much about the holidays. I am usually a big spender come Christmas time but the last two years I just can't justify it. I suspect things in the U.S. and around the world are going to get very tough economically in the next year. People are going to feel pretty stupid about wasting money on things they don't need even if they aren't hit to hard.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
My friend, thank you for being brave enough to share your story.

As a Christian, I think Christmas is all wrong anyways. I would rather spend the time in a soup kitchen (which we will be) really remembering what the holiday is about. The birth of my savior. So in reflection, I say forget the gifts, and instead give gifts that will matter.

Anyone of us here could be that homeless guy. Something could happen to make you loose everything. To be a survivalist, you have to adapt and over come. Maybe this will in turn be a blessing. I hope so.

Reactions: VanMan

·
Registered
381 Posts
My friend, thank you for being brave enough to share your story.

As a Christian, I think Christmas is all wrong anyways. I would rather spend the time in a soup kitchen (which we will be) really remembering what the holiday is about. The birth of my savior. So in reflection, I say forget the gifts, and instead give gifts that will matter.

Anyone of us here could be that homeless guy. Something could happen to make you loose everything. To be a survivalist, you have to adapt and over come. Maybe this will in turn be a blessing. I hope so.
Your post choked me up there for a bit.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
man, first off, things will get better. And as many have said;don't worry about using your preps, that is why you got them in the first place. Some may grown on it, but we always go into our stores. We live quite a way from town, and our most frequent shtf is getting snowed in. If we decide to put off a trip to the grocery for the weekend, we eat preps. When we hit the grocery store the next week, we buy twice the amount we consumed... If we liked it.

Food stores are there so we will be prepared for the unexpected. Which is what you have just encountered. Instead of feeling bad, feel vindicated. You stored for an uncertain future and now it's paying off. Again, good luck, things will get better.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts