Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
BM2 Hollywood
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a bummed out feeling. I am sitting here waiting for the police right now. Already called the landlord and let them know that they need to replace the door knob and make it stronger.

I have renter's insurance but not sure if I can get anything for what has happened. It was the garage door. Not the main one for the car, but the back door. I was out there about 5:30 this morning, to get the other heater. It has been cold and wet out here in San Diego, and it was time to get the electrical blanket and the heater.

I been awake before 5 p.m yesterday (my work, 5 p.m to 3 a.m.,if the job is done) and was not getting a clue on why the key would not go into the door because I am tired and sleepy, it was only after I pushed on the door, that it opened and I started to stress when the stuff by the front door was in the way. It was my BOB bag on the floor and normally,it would be on the emergency generator. I thought at first, I did not lock the door the last time I was out there.

Still being sort of half sleep, I looked to the left, behind the door and at first I did not understand why there was nothing there. 10 days ago, one would have seen my BOB bag on top of the generator, but nothing was there. The bag was there, in front of me on the floor.

I finally got a clue and looked at the bare floor where it (the generator) should have been. I started to have that feeling. Sort of like you get when you cant find your keys and your late to work or something. Or, when that car in front of you starts to pull in front of you, while your in the same space that it wants to go?

Then it hit me, I've been ripped off. Son of a B***H! You lousy little "F" BOMBS!

One of my preps is gone! I backed out and took my flash lite, (you know it is one of the 8 D-cell ones) and looked at the door knob. Man, no wonder why the key would not fit, looks like someone took vice grips and crushed the door knob down about 1/2 of an inch on the top and bottom and was able to open the door. I am not sure, perhaps they used leverage to force it open, I really couldn't tell if there was any more damage or not.

Heck, I don't know any better if it was the crunching of the door knob that opened the door or the leverage used by the tool on the door knob, to force the door opened. I'll ask the police when they get here.

I looked around and then saw that my two inverters were gone, one of the cloths closets were open and all mine and my wife's stuff was on the floor.

Man, what a feeling. I have had small stuff taken before in my life, but my emergency prep stuff! Those rotten little s**t heads! I got to think that it was more than one person. That genny was heavy! And how did they get it out of the back door. The punks had to work at it. There are 5 steps going up to the door and the thing was so big, that I took it in the big door to the garage and actually put it to the back side to keep it safe, next to the back door. Ha, I am such a fool, assuming that it was away from the big door that no one woudl take the effort to drag it through everything else to the main door. I never had any desire to take it through the back door because it would have been such a lousy time and effort to do it and I really did not think that it would even fit. The next house is 4 foot from the opening of the door, and just a hard way to do things. That would be my only sanctification for this whole deal, the work that they had to do to get it out. I noted (actually the wifey did) that the telescope was also gone. I don't know if anything else is gone or not yet. The Vulcan classic bike is still there. Got it back in 2003, and has only 9 thousand miles or so. All the food preps are there that I can tell. All the camping stuff, the lanterns, Colman heater, and all the other equipment that I can tell so far. Not sure yet. I bet that I will be looking for something in the future and only then realize that too was stolen.

Need some more coffee, looks like it is going to be a while for the police. More about this latter. One thing on the back of my mind that I am worried about now, I know that they saw all of my rife cases there in the shelf, next to the genny. If they know which house, they know what is inside of here. I will point out my concerns to the police about that one.

Man, just sitting here, I went to open my gun case to check them out. Two SU-16's with very nice trimmings for both of them, a new Siga 223 that I picked up on the day of the election, my 45/70. The 870, the 22 pump mag, the simi auto Marlin 22 long, the 30-06, the mini 30, the S&W revolver, the two 92 9mms, the Springfield 45.....punks, come in side while I am here!! That's the stress, it's when me or the wife aren't here. Damn, I have been exploited, and I am worried now.

·
BM2 Hollywood
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone that heard it running? thing is, it's been 2 or 3 months the last time that I did a test run with it. I live in a heavy urban area of San Diego. We already know, that baby's gone.

I ready told the wife, we are going to go and get a another one.

The SDPD dispatch just called me back, asking if I will be here and the Police can call if needed. Looks like it's going to be a while, Ca drivers out here, they go faster in the rain, perhaps so the cars wont get as wet.

Remember, I went out dark thirty to get the heater because the weather is cold and wet.

Hay, maybe I can get a bail out money from the Gov. for this if the insurance wont cover it all!

Man, I'm fried out, need sleep. Got to be back at the store at 5 p.m.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sucks! I got robbed when I lived in SD and the a-hole scum took all my guns (found my hidden key to the gun cabinet). I recovered all my rifles but the pistols never were found. Turned out to be my neighbors 35 year old son who lived in the tool shed behind their house, he most likely went back to mexico with my pistola's...

They took my rifles (which they found in the shed) to the lab and dusted them for prints, about a month later they called me to come get them (35 miles away) and they were filthy...

Sure feels bad to come home and find your lair defiled!

·
Registered
377 Posts
So sorry about that. Has it been happening in the neighborhood? Often if one place gets hit several more have been or will be for awhile. Keep an eye out for anything suspicious in your neighborhood.

I know they say crime goes up just before Christmas but it ticks me off that to some the Christmas spirit means ripping other people off so that they can have a good Christmas. Jerks (cleaned up from what I would like to call them).

Best of luck and I hope your can get something out of your insurance.

blt

·
BM2 Hollywood
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bags of Poo! It hurts. And I am sorry for your loss too.

I remember telling my wife that the cops are only going to be able to take reports just the other day. With all that is going on in the U.S., I started to make my wife take her PT 92 out of her safe and keep it next to her. We talk alot about what is going on and

PD just called again, they are on the way.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Hand a reward notice to the local pawn shops. Tell them to report if anyone trys to sell your generator. The guys are probably local, and will try and dump it for quick cash. The guns are gone. Probably in New York by now. They trade and sell quickly. Unless they are found in a raid, you will never see them again. They are probably already sold to some honest guy who bought them from a guy he barely knows.

The stuff is stuff. I am angry with you right now man, but the main thing is catching the bastards. Tell the police you want finger prints taken. I had them do that when my 550 flat bed was stolen. They caught the kids in a mater of hours. Do not let them BS you. Get the finger prints. I did, and it paid off.

Reactions: Sapper6

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
Sorry to hear that, i hope you find them and teach them a lesson.

A motorbike was stolen from outside out house it was chained to the wall with the stearing lock on. They managed to pick both locks and drive it away. This all happened while we were in the house.
These people really make my blood boil, how dare they take our stuff, i should have gone out there with my baseball bat and knocked em cold.
Fortunatly though nobody has ever broken into the house, if they did i would most likely shot them. lol

·
BM2 Hollywood
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
still waiting. Good idea about the pawn shops. Problem is, it could be up to 10 days ago. Think it was the last time I was in there.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Yeah, they probably got you zeroed now.
If they saw any kind of survival stuff--they will put two and two together.

I'd at the very least put your boom-sticks into a small storage locker (the very least) or get a gun-safe that bolts to the floor.

They will watch you come and go, figure out your schedule, and hit you again.

95% chance that it was stolen by someone within one block of you that knows that you work nights

Probably one of your tweeker neighbors--this above it true.

Secure it all in a storage locker.

And forget the pawn shops--that's old school.
The gen will be sold on ebay or craig's list. Keep checking there for anyone local that has one up for sale.

T

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
Sorry that happened to you

95% chance that it was stolen by someone within one block of you that knows that you work nights. There is also a 95% chance that you will be able to find your stuff at a pawn shop (most likely one in the NEXT police jurisdiction) or on Ebay. If you do not find it in the next 7 days, it is gone unless you have the serial numbers. If it was sold to a pawn shop, they record the serial number and hold the merchandise for 30 days until the police can check the SN against the stolen property database. If it pops up that way, they will call you.

Good luck.

·
BM2 Hollywood
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, finished with SDPD. Nice guy, name is Warren. Thanks for the ideas and thoughts. I will share more perhaps Friday. I am starting to crash. Need some sleep. I did share my concerns about all the soft cases in there and that someone now knows what I have. I showed him my collection. He's got some great stuff himself. He said that there is more going on now days. He seem to think that my collection would be ok with the safe I have now. Plus, the keys are in a different safe.

Good nite all.

·
BM2 Hollywood
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No issue about looking for finger prints. I am just going to get a better genny, higher wattage. The inverters are a small thing, will get a nother one at work. Actually I am just to tired to deal with it any more today.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Craigs list, pawn shops, or at a hilly bill public yard sale spot. It wont take long to sell, he will probably only ask like 40 bucks for it.

One more thing. I NEVER buy anything I think is stollen. If fact if you are a thief, its best I never found out. Thats not a threat, I am just informing you now, that I am a tattle tale.

One of the closest time I ever came to murder was when my car got stollen by an impound lot. I was living in a crappy trailer park (yup) and the owners wanting to make more money let a towing service take any cars not legal. So my tags expire the day prior and they come through and take everyone's cars that went bad. They laugh at us and tell us the fee is 200 bucks to get it back. By law they can do that. All the time I wasn't being Christian, he WAS legally correct, and as EVIL as he was, I couldn't do anything about it.

So I show up and the guy gets out and emediately tells me he didn't tow my car. He introduces me to his kid who he brought with him. I tell the guy that he is a *bad words* and I explain that he better never step foot in my yard again. He gets a little pushy back, and more words get exchanged. I tell him I am going to take my car, he says he will call the police. More words exchanged, he says he can just raise my 200 dollar bill up to 400 dollars. Nothing I can do about it. All the time I wasn't being Christian, he WAS legally correct, and as EVIL as he was, I couldn't do anything about it. Some here will sympathize with the tow truck driver. Trust me, the only reason he brought his kid was so I wouldn't beat him. Which worked. The kid was asleep in the car, and didn't hear us. Either way, again, many will agree that its fine to steal then ransom others peoples stuff as my cars tags did expire.

Long and short he never got the money, I lost a car, and he had a very bad day latter on. So not going into it, my point is that a thief can come in all shapes, and sizes. They are opportunist. They can come as a lawyer, a tow truck driver, and even politicians. Its your job to fight them, as the only reason they do what they do, is because they think they can get away with it, and its easy.

You might not be able to get your stuff back. But just remember when someone asks to break in line, or go the other way, that you were a victim once. They are the enemy.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Reactions: pepoke

·
Gunsmith
203 Posts
Sucks man you should ask the landlord to install a deadbolt, surprised they didn't just kick the door in if it only has a regular knob lock. Also if the overhead door doesn't have a lock I would have one added.

Same goes for your apartment of course if you only have a regular knob lock your no where near safe a 10 year old could probably kick the door in.

Also dogs most times don't work there not as brave when there master isn't at home. You can buy a cheep motion or noise activated alarm you can place in your garage that is insane loud would hear it a block down probably for under 20 bucks at your local hardware store.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Bru, never a good thing to get ripped off, feeling mad for you .
Consider yourself lucky they did not take more, including your guns.
Obviously they had a focus and only took what they needed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That really sucks. This made me think about what I could do to secure my buildings on my property better. I am going to go out and capture my SN# for my gen and also take my drummel and write my name/phone number on it.

·
BM2 Hollywood
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A quick update on what happened the other day. Called the insurance co today. Give them a list and cost of everything that I lost. It could have been worse. So far, I have been able to tell the genny, a telescope, a couple in inverters, a trickle charge. I suspect there is more but cant tell at this point. I have never had a claim or had anything stolen before, so this is all new to me. I don't have any reason to think that the insurance wont replace my loss, but we will see. To bad that I can never get my peace of mind back about this. The landlord came by too. He shared with me his loss of long guns, a hand gun about 10 years ago he still lives with it even now his loss. He's working on getting a dead bolt on the door now.

All this time, my wife and I have talked a lot on making sure that the windows are locked, the safes are locked and closed and I have insisted that she keep the 9mm next to her while I am gone. I'm not sure that I will get back to the place I was before. I have a lot of thoughts now about someone taking from me. I now have visions of sleeping in the garage, and having the little s**ts coming in again, watching the faces when I put the end of the 870 on one of their legs. :eek:

I am going out latter to look at alarms systems.

I am watching the news right now, Obama made a clear statement that this is going to get worse before it gets better. So, I am now reviewing a more secure way to protect my stuff. Funny, I have stuff for me and my wife's protection. Now, I need to do a better job to protect the stuff that is to protect us. It is going down hill.

I was looking at a different thread earlier, about someone who is working in retail. They noted that the stocking process is starting to impact what is in the stores. I am still waiting to see the impact for this in my store.

But, the one thing that I am sharing with the associates is to recognize that a lot of customers coming in the store are under stress. The season is a element, but I am sharing with everybody that a lot of customers coming in are wondering if they have a job tomorrow, or how long it will be if they will get a job. I am telling everybody, don't take it personally, try to give them more help and attention, but it is not necessary to take any abuse, and just to walk away and find me and I will work with the customer, or just ask them to leave.

It is pretty shocking the numbers on how many are looking for a job. This time last year, you might see a few hundred employment applications looking for part time work for the season. This year, there are thousands. It is getting pretty freaky and I am starting to get worried. I get at least 4 or 5 people a night asking if we are hiring for the season. So, I can recognize it and I think that it will get a lot worse. We are starting to see the loss of product (stolen) more often. And now, it effects me personally with the break in.

Update on the insurance status, they just called. I am in the hole for $500.00. The time and labor to fill out the claim, then the concern on my insurance being raised, looks like I am going to just let it go and take the hit. 6 years of paying for this coverage and nothing. I could have taken that money and invested in a good protection system.:( What a cruddy deal.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts