Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a pest and for awhile I thought it was a rabbit and it may be. I have pole beans growing up strings and they have been slow to gorw this year due to cold weather but finally not looking to bad. They were about 1-2' high and starting to bloom. Yesterday morning I noticed alot of leaves curling and dying so I put up deer netting around them tight to the ground and about a foot high, I also set a few leg traps and a box trap and put some cayenne pepper water on the bottoms of the remaining ones. Well this morning I looked and at least a dozen more were snipped off about 3-4" off the ground and I see other ones that have had a bottom leaf here and they ate off. My thoughts were rabbit but I am not sure now cause I would think a rabbit would eat alittle more than just a snip and bite off each one..bad thing is the snip is fatal and the plant is done. Have also thought maybe a squirrel,chipmunk, maybe groundhog but dont think it is cause the leg trap I set was right by several that got chewed off last night and nothing stepped in it and no real signs where the dirt was disturbed much. I dont see any insects and the first night it happened had some lettuce that was chewed off also and there is no sign of it was slugs either. This morning I took purple joe pyeweed stalks that are about 1/2" in diameter and hollow and cut them in about 6" lengths and split longway and put around for a collar for the few that are left....If anyone knows what is doing this please let me know....

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts
Cicadas? We have a bunch showing up right now. I had several young beans from my second planting eaten also. I put out DE once and haven't had anymore eaten so mine probably wasn't cicadas but a cutworm. Either way, if it's an insect DE will stop it. It's just that you have to keep applying it every time after you water the plant which as dry as it's been is often. Good luck. The collar thing is a good idea.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks oktx....havent heard many this year but maybe that doesnt mean they are not around..Also do you know if they eat at night???This is the time when the snipping takes place. Thanks for the info I will look into it.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Do you get hares where you live? They snip in the night and leave things. Snip just like a pruner, on a lovely 45% angle, if you didn't know it was them you'd think some gardener had gone psycho and cut down all your baby trees (well, that's what I did think at the time...) They don't snip to eat, they snip to maintain grasslands, which is their habitat.

Anyway, don't know nuffing about your flora & fauna, that just seemed a very hare-ish thing to do...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks bridgierapa, no hares that I know of...there are snowshoe hares just to my south but not known to be here. But yes its a 45 degree angle snip and looks like someone got mad at me and snipped with scissors or a pruner and whatever did this didnt snip to eat. I am bewildered by it...so irratating taking the time and work and have this as a result........sorry fuming again by thinking of it,,lol....Thanks for your thoughts.

·
I have control issues
6,120 Posts
THe pests in my garden that snip off my beans (peas, too) are rabbits, groundhogs, and DEER. They've also done a number on my spinach and lettuce, as well. And now, the bear is back (with cubs). So, what the OTHER varmints don't attack, the bear probably will (melons, cukes, squash, etc)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Go buy blood meal. Put a big thick line of dry blood meal down around your plants,, About 6- 10 inches away. If You have a big garden, just put a thick line of it around the whole garden. It works like a invisible fence. Animals run from that stuff. After a hard rain add a little more. I have not a critter problems in My garden in 10 years using it and I live in the country. Buy it from a feed store in 40 or 50 pound bags. It will be way cheaper. Home depot and Lows charges almost $5 a 3 pound bag. The added bonus its a light organic nitrogen fertilizer that wont burn your adult plants.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Put up chickenwire fence around the beans and cucumbers. The chipumnks seem to be leaving everything alone I boxtrap rabbits and give them to a local Beagel club which uses them for dog training. Too many dogs and too few deer here for any problem and the bears seem to be staying away also.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, have ya found out what it is yet?
No,,but I am running out of time as they are almost all gone. I have that deer netting stuff up around where they are,,,have set traps,large to small and box trap,,,,the little collar things i made that go up about 6" that use to work now they are snipping right above it,,,I see no signs of rabbit,,no crap anwhere and I have examined the area best I could,,no signs of a worm or bug. The same thing happened abotu 4 years ago also and never igured it out then either. Oh well its been a crap garden year anyway so far so this might as well be part of it. Thanks to all above for your opinions as one may be right,,I dont know. I do know if i catch a rabbit....{well I feel so sorry for him:mad:!!!}

1 - 13 of 13 Posts