Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't fight the tide any more. Seven different families; all part of mine and my wifes have pretty much just given me the old "we're just coming to your house if things get as bad as you say they can get" line.

They have a ball game to go to when I tried to show them how to make sausage. Then it was the weekend get away that kept them from learning how to can food. A fishing trip was more important than learning how to grind wheat and make bread. Always something.

Then the final straw was when my wife decided that she doesn't want to tend to the chickens and rabbits when I go TDY out of state so I wont be getting rabbits and chickens.

Between all that and the tiller throwing a rod and the everything else. I quit.

Baaaaah Baaaaaah Baaaaaah.

Have fun guys and good luck! I wish you the best!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
chickens can take care of them selfs. Put a float switch in for the water. That will keep them in good shape with water. Cut the bottom out of a 5 gal. bucket for the feed to gravity fill the pan. Hang the bucket with an umbrella type roof. cone shaped so the chickens can sit on it. keep the whole thing hanging off the ground about 6-9 inches and your set. Mark the eggs when you return. only collect the ones after you return for meals. let the chickens hatch them naturally.

Oh and don't forget to right off the relatives. Let them know don't show up with just an appatite. Keep walking

·
Registered
633 Posts
I was talking to an uncle about prepping the other day. He made a similar comment about "just coming to my house" also. I didnt say it to prevent hard feelings, but he can come over, ill wish him the best and then he can leave. I have no use for someone that wont even make an effort, family or not.

-Nate

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Can't fight the tide any more. Seven different families; all part of mine and my wifes have pretty much just given me the old "we're just coming to your house if things get as bad as you say they can get" line.
Just tell them "Realistically if all of y'all are coming, Where is all this stuff coming from? I can't babysit ALL of you! If you don't learn the basics at least, I'd have to be in 4 different places all at the same time!
They have a ball game to go to when I tried to show them how to make sausage. Then it was the weekend get away that kept them from learning how to can food. A fishing trip was more important than learning how to grind wheat and make bread. Always something.

Then the final straw was when my wife decided that she doesn't want to tend to the chickens and rabbits when I go TDY out of state so I wont be getting rabbits and chickens.
I guess you need something to give them a "Wake-up call". Mention all the Tornadoes this year etc... Riots all over the world. Don't they watch the news?

Now who are you hurting? You? Or them? Survival is all about keeping on keeping on....even when it's no fun...ESPECIALLY when it's no fun!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Don't give up! Let them all know, if they wont help themselves while there is still time, they will not be welcomed to show up at your place when the SHTF. Ive made it crystal clear to my friends and family that I sacrifice going out, and spending money frivolously like they do, to secure my future and if they dont start heeding my warnings, they are not welcome to come to me for help when its too late. Your wife is another story. You do need to have a strong partner, its essential. My boyfriend and I are 100% together on all prep fronts. Its important for your sanity! Good luck!

·
Bushwacker
1,479 Posts

I live in Fentress County. I could babysit your chickens for ya and even rabbits. What you need is support from local survivorlists, and we are here for ya. There's plenty on this form going through what your going through.

·
119 Posts
I have a good friend that thinks along the prepping lines, but doesn't want to take part. He told me the same thing, "I am just going to your BOL if things get rough". My reply was, "you'd better show up with more than hungry mouths, I'd hate to shoot a friend, I'm not storing stuff for your family."

I pray to never be in the position where that type of action would ever be necessary against a friend, but the bottom line is, I didn't store stuff for his family!

·
Tennessee Ranger
724 Posts
Tell the in-laws how it is going to be if they show up uneducated and unprepared. If they don't like it then you can just come to my place where a fellow prepper/survivalist would be welcome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
you can set up automatic waterers for chickens and rabbits,fill up extra feeders,,,and/or raise pigeons,there great eating,set then up a auto waterer or have outside water handy,when you leave leave the cage door open,they will forage all day and return home at night.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts