Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Isaiah 41:10
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in a post i read awhile back, another member said that apparently oil/kerosene lamps are " restricted " items and can no longer be sold at wal-mart. while i was in total disbelief about the validity of the the idea that an oil lamp could be a restricted item, i decided to go look at our 3 local wal-marts and i'll be damn, it is true.
however i have located oil/kerosene lamps at ace hardware and atwoods. ace hardware sells them for around $20 each which i thought was a little high.so i looked some more and found them at atwoods. for those of you who don't know,atwoods is the local farm and garden store. there lamps are much less, the decorative glass bottom with brass wick control and bubble glass globe is $7.99 plus tax. thry sell another type that is made mostly of metal with a straight glass globe for $12.99 plus tax. they also carry the flat type replacement wicks in a 3 pack for $1.29. home depot online only also sells the glass type with a bottle of lamp fuel for around $20.00.
lowes does not carry them at all around here and i'm not sure about other hardware stores in your area, but it would be a great place to look. i hope this helps. by the way, the lady at atwoods said you can not burn kerosene in the oil lamps,but that is b.s. when i was child, we keep the same type of lamp in our cellar and all my dad would burn in it was kerosene. kerosene is much cheaper than the oil.
i wonder if it could run on used motor oil without causing problems?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I called multiple places last night (after looking at multiple Walmarts) looking for lamp oil and finally found that Meijer had the oil and lamps in stock (in Louisville, KY). I purchased several 18 oz bottles for $2.99 each. The lamps were $6.99.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought some decorative type lamps at our local Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago. They were 7or8 dollars each. I bought 2 and then came back and bought two the next day. In they same display they had lamp oil, so I picked up a few jugs of it also.

Around a month ago I also picked up some lanterns in the camping section at WM. And our Dollar General had the exact same ones and lamp oil also. I think I have four of these also still in the plastic wrap.

I wonder if this is a regional or state-by-state thing or maybe the word hasn't got to our WM to pull them. I would say chances are our's won't have these again but I don't think I need any more. Might want a little more oil though....

·
Be Prepared
446 Posts
I was just at my local WM today and they had lamps, lanterns, oil, and extra burners and wicks in stock.

Can I ask what the "restriction" was on the lamps? Seems odd to me.

Something to consider for those who are looking for lamps and parts is if you live near an Amish community to go to their country stores. The one near me has a huge selection of lamps and parts for them for very cheap prices. Much less than even Walmart.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wow, great site and I learned a lot from reading it. Thanks!

A bit off topic but important for those who might not be able to pay full price for several lanterns at once: ask your local Goodwill, Salvation Army, St. Vincent de Paul's, and consignment shops to be on the lookout for oil lamps and to hold them for you.

Every single oil lamp, lantern, etc. in my collection of two dozen has cost me less than FIVE DOLLARS -- and many came new, with full oil receptacles, and full wicks. I also snagged several gallons of donated lamp oil on the cheap.

(And I make it a point to donate a few usable items I don't want whenever I get the word to come pick up a new lamp.) Saves money for other preps.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
They still carry the cheap metal lamps in the camping section of the WalMarts here. I tried to find the type that folks put in their homes but came up short. I asked a few different employees to make sure...all said that they no longer stock those lamps there.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,439 Posts
Other than a few cheapies I bought at Walmart because they looked nice, all my lamps came from auctions or second hand stores. I have managed to find some real beauties over the years. Cheap too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts