Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've known it was there, I just never paid any attention. I'm a gun nut but not much knowledge on knives. I read where a guy had one for sale "never sharpened", should I not sharpen mine? I plan on using it, making it my survival knife for now. Is it OK? Anyone have any idea about what it's worth? I'll have more detail later when I get to the lake house.

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
I've known it was there, I just never paid any attention. I'm a gun nut but not much knowledge on knives. I read where a guy had one for sale "never sharpened", should I not sharpen mine? I plan on using it, making it my survival knife for now. Is it OK? Anyone have any idea about what it's worth? I'll have more detail later when I get to the lake house.
If that's a real-deal M3 from WW2 or Korea, I would either keep it as a collector's item or sell it on E-bay and make some money. Also depends on the condition of it.

·
Banned
473 Posts
If it is authentic, here are the known manufacturers (below) The branch of service it was purchased by may or may not be also stamped on the knife. The markings will be clear and a fake or repro is pretty easy to spot. If you have any idea to sell it leave it as is. Other than routine maintenance such as light oiling and a wipe down. Sharpening it or removing any patina formed over the years will devalue the knife.

•Aerial (Aerial Cutlery Mfg. Co.)
•Boker (H. Boker & Co.)
•Camillus (Camillus Cutlery Co.)
•Case (W.R. Case & Sons)
•Imperial (Imperial Knife Co.)
•Kinfolks (Kinfolks Inc.)
•Pal (Pal Blade & Tool Co.)
•Robeson (Robeson Cutlery Co.)
•Utica (Utica Cutlery Co.)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Sell it, let someone buy a nice piece of history, and get yourself a couple good knives with the money.

Win-win.

Or, you could clean it up and sharpen it so that a great portion of its history is lost and you can have a not-so-good survival knife made from an old bayonet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I checked. It's an M4 Utica with an M8 sheath. It's in good shape, hell, it's pretty sharp. I agree with you guys about letting someone who appreciates it have it. Is it still something a collector would like? It is important to me for it to go to someone that cares about it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Ok, I checked. It's an M4 Utica with an M8 sheath. It's in good shape, hell, it's pretty sharp. I agree with you guys about letting someone who appreciates it have it. Is it still something a collector would like? It is important to me for it to go to someone that cares about it.
Yes, someone will want it.

Even if it's been messed with(you didn't say it had been, but even if it has) someone will probably want it. If it's less than perfect, a collector that doesn't have one or a collector just starting out will want it, but price will reflect its condition.

The best thing you can do to make sure it goes to someone that cares about such things is to make them pay for it. I've known several people that are really nice, great people that have given rare items to people that were interested, but didn't really care about them or weren't able to take care of them. A little bit of time and the item is ruined or just sold or both, then there are bad feelings. Just my 2 cents on that.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
My next door neighbor just bought a brand new ontario. It's like a bayonet (or whatever) with the clippy things at the but and it has a rubber type handle. Nice knife but not my style.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
I found a WWII M3 in my basement.
Ha, only on survivaistboards. Other people are like "Gee, I found some old Christmas lights in my basement" or "Golly, look at all this old hockey equipment! I wonder if it still fits!" or "Check out this old RC car, my son should get a kick out of this!"

Survivalistboard member: "Jinkies! Check out this nifty 10 inch pig-sticker! I wonder how many guts its been in?"

:D:

·
The Convicted Audiophile™
4,384 Posts
The US Bayonet-Knife, M4 (First Production 1944-45)
Part Two

Check to see if there are any other markings on the scabbard. Like the throat or underneath where it says M8 (like VIZ below)
You can sometimes date and find out what factory the scabbard was made in
It also can make a bayonet more valuable if the scabbard is kind of rare

The guys at U.S. Militaria Forum > US MILITARIA DISCUSSIONS > EDGED WEAPONS can help you with info as well and they would certainly "care for it"...lol:thumb:
I think you have to make like 20 posts before you can sell anything there, though:confused:
Tell 'em Trent sent ya!!!:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The US Bayonet-Knife, M4 (First Production 1944-45)
Part Two

Check to see if there are any other markings on the scabbard. Like the throat or underneath where it says M8 (like VIZ below)
You can sometimes date and find out what factory the scabbard was made in
It also can make a bayonet more valuable if the scabbard is kind of rare

The guys at U.S. Militaria Forum > US MILITARIA DISCUSSIONS > EDGED WEAPONS can help you with info as well and they would certainly "care for it"...lol:thumb:
I think you have to make like 20 posts before you can sell anything there, though:confused:
Tell 'em Trent sent ya!!!:)
The scabbard was made by beckwith/victory plastics. As far as I can tell it is the 2d run m8 with the clips on it, still around '45.

I'll look at the military forum too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts