Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, yesterday, since I had some time, I went down to where the little runoff is, and I knocked on the door of the landowner's house. I asked if I could fish where it said, "PRIVATE PROPERTY, NO TRESPASSING", and she said, "Yeah, sure, just don't go in anybody's backyard, and don't mess with the ducks." I was quite suprised, but I came home, and got my tackle box organized. My friend gave me a few plastic worms, and tomorrow, me, my friend, and his dad are gonna go fishing down there. By the looks of thw water, it may be debris filled. It's real shallow near the edges, and there's alot of dead grass and leaves. I know that there are bass in there, and some bream, so what should I use tackle wise?

I have some plastic worms, diving minnows, lipless crankbaits, and some frogs, which are the kind without pre-set hooks. Any reccomendations on tackle? Or what about how to properly use the lures and whatnot? And what kind of lures should I buy?

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
small hooks work well with fish with something silver and shiny depends on how you want to fish with a float or with a cast out and reel it back in way.. me i like adding bait that stinks bad and floats to my hook then a weight and a swivel that way it sits near the bottom with the weight and the bait flots so the hook is in the middle of the lake and then the fish nibble it as they are smart and when they find that hey it moves around find they take it and i real them in one after another...

real worms work well if you dont have that use raw shrimp that works really well

real bait works best but you can have something shiny or colourfull the fish will be attracted to it if its real food though they find it faster..

diving minnows probly to big... works well in lakes with big fish though

depends on the area for what type of hooks to get go small though makes it easyer to catch at least 1 fish also take your time rushing it wont get you fish put the hook in and wait depends on the hook type for what you do with it some you reel 2 clicks stop wait 3 seconds do 2 more clicks then stop agian i like lake fishing because i know were the fish are because i go during there feeding time and watch them feed you will find that alot of fish like certian spots more then others

fiundthis on the web but thats abought it too... for bass
cover large areas of water, diving crankbaits like Cotton Cordell’s Rattlin Spot and the Rapala Shad Rap in silver or crawfish patterns are quite effective. When fishing shallow rock shoals, white and yellow spinnerbaits as well as shallow diving crankbaits have proven deadly. In deeper waters, a ¼ to ½oz jig head tipped with chartreuese, yellow or white Mister Twister grubs are also effective. Slowly bouncing these jigs off rocky bottoms will surely entice the most wary Bronzeback.
http://www.seineriverlodge.on.ca/bass.htm

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hey bud,

Back home when I used to hike out to the beaver ponds I had a lil trick my gramps tought me.....Take a small popper fly or plain ol fly or hook with a lil chunk of worm on it and tie it on your line. Walk the water edge till ya see a bull frog. Dangle about 3 feet of line from yur pole. Put the fly or what ever in the bullfrogs face. He will grab it. Then take the frog and hook a big azz hook under his jaw up through the top of his face. Now cast him out along the weed beds or downed trees. Let him swim and just reel him real slow back twords ya. Ive cought HUGE bass this way. Also good ol plastic worms on a texas or carolina rig work great too. Good luck.
:thumb:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have been having a blast with the berkley gulp jerk shad with a weighted hook. They are bio degradable, scented and bass love them. I have alot of tackle but can fish all day with this rig. It's also weedless.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
In your neck of the woods, I would go with a Texas rigged plastic worm. If there is bass there and you have a little in the way of skill you should be able to get a hook up.

If treated with a little respect and courtsey many a land owner will happily allow you access. Just take good care of thier property and dont abuse the privledge.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I'll never abuse my privelidge to fish there. Usually I'll just catch and release. It's freshwater, but I'm using a Walmart Shakespeare Tiger Spinning combo, which is a medium action salt-water rod and reel, but it works well, and it's versatile. If there are bream in there, which I heard there are, I have some plain shank size 6 hooks, 50 of 'em. I haven't caught a bass since I was little though, and now that I'll be 15 Monday, I'm hoping to nab just a bass or two tomorrow while I'm still 14 :). I certainly hope we get some luck though. A note for myself to remember, is that there are some logs, and they're a bit of a guide down the slope to the fishing spot, and there might be copperheads or cottonmouths under them, so I'll be careful not to disturb them. One more thing, I have some tiny plastic worms with tails and they're not even an inch long. How would I rig these, and what can I expect to catch on them?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I found a great BOL, its a large private pond that is spring fed, over stocked and all the fish are big, and its loaded with dear, hogs, and other small game, It has a huge bluff, that has 4 or 5 hidden exits.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Stealth, Bru, you see now you have the consent of the owner you have no worries.
Treat it with the respect you need to and leave it in the same condition you found it and you will find the owner will not regret your presence.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, I'll make sure to treat it with respect. But I need to know what works best for bass. The trip got cancelled Tuesday by the way, and today (Wednesday) because of heavy rain, but it cleared up this afternoon, so by tomorrow afternoon I'll be ready!!! At Wal-Mart, I've bought a Bass Fishing kit. It has two crankbaits, some 15lb test line (300 yds) some hooks, swivel-snaps, swivels, neon beads (not sure what they are for yet), and some plastic baits, and a stringer, and a fishing liscense holder. But I'm turning 15 on Monday, so I won't need a Freshwater Fishing liscense here in Florida until I'm 16. But what works best for bass??? I have some Blue Fox spinners and runners, so those may work, that, or a crankbait. I'm just not that sure yet...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts