Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Bread Baker
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. every so often a thread pops up about dealing with nosy cashiers and nosy customers when buying food preps. Everyone has their opinion about what to say and how to handle it.

Well today, I finally had to say it. Maybe it wasn't the best judgement, I had some dental work earlier in the day, so my mind is still clouded with all the anesthetic.. My voice is sorta slurred, but I thought it was hilarious.

Standing in line at Dollar Tree. I have 5, 1 pound bags of beans, and 5, 2 pound bags of rice. I like to buy these two particular items there. Compared to the other locals, I get a good deal. The cashier starts ringing me up, with a pleasant smile. All is good so far. Then the customer behind me says, "looks like your going to be eating good"...

I couldn't help it. Out of my mouth comes

"were gett'n low at the compound."

Naturally my drugged, slurred, West-by-god-Virginia accent was at its finest. The only thing that could have made this better would have to been wearing a flannel shirt and an NRA cap.

At that very moment, you could have heard a pin drop in every Dollar Tree from coast to coast. You would have thought I dropped the "f-bomb" in front of some Catholic Kindergarteners. I then quickly followed up with "im kidding".. The cashier's smile turned upside down. The lady behind me and said "well, the way the world is getting.." as she took a step or two back.

Needless to say, I gathered my bags, and exited quickly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kev, Dollar Trees sell various foods including frozen and refrigerated foods. If you price shop for individual items, not bulk sized items, Dollar Tree can be a pretty good resource. I also go there to get my family their birthday, X-mas, etc gifts. I usually go to ARC or Goodwill buy a cheep but quality backpack and then stuff it with flashlight, batteries, etc from the dollar store. Its not high quality survival stuff, nor is the goal to allow them survive indefinitely. Its just enough to get them thinking about their own needs and what they should be doing to prepare for emergencies, etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Love it!! My local Dollar Tree is getting coolers soon, will be selling eggs, milk, cheese and frozen items.I'm like you Rice, beans, noodles. A couple of weeks ago bought tuna 2 cans for a dollar, they were changing brands. Also look at the medical supplies they have, alcohol prep pad 100 count $1.00, bandaids 100 count, $1.00, waterproof tape, the paper dust mask 3 for $1.00. Love finding the bargains...

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
If I were in line I would have immediatly assumed you were joking (no one is that stupid...) and started laughing uncontrolably right there in line. "we're getting low at the compound"... Bwahahaha

·
Bread Baker
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no one is that stupid...
Wanna bet on that?:D:

Yeah, at the Dollar Tree you can find some good deals. And some not-so-good deals. I think their rather high on canned veggies and such. But pasta, rice, beans.. its all good. As far as refrigerated goods, my local store doesn't have any. I might ask the mgr. the next time Im in there. He's a real nice fellow.

Oh yeah, you can't beat them on gift bags and tissue paper. Anytime we have to buy a gift for someone, we stop by there to get those 2 items.

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
I live near the coast so hurricanes are a reality. I was picking up candles, flashlights, tarps, lantern fuel, etc from the dollar store (Dollar General I think) when the cashier looks at me and asks "Going camping?". I said no, just stocking up for hurricane season.

She looked at me like I had a third eye. I was utterly amazed that she really thought I was a nut for preparing for hurricane season.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I live near the coast so hurricanes are a reality. I was picking up candles, flashlights, tarps, lantern fuel, etc from the dollar store (Dollar General I think) when the cashier looks at me and asks "Going camping?". I said no, just stocking up for hurricane season.

She looked at me like I had a third eye. I was utterly amazed that she really thought I was a nut for preparing for hurricane season.
Why be amazed she is working as a cashier for 7.25 and hour.

·
All over Europe
3,360 Posts
Ug I really need to make a USA shopping trip.
I do SO understand that. My husband was seconded from the RAF to the RCAF base at St. Hubert, Quebec on the Montreal south shore from 1967 to 1971. We used to go shopping every month or so just across the border, whenever there was something decent playing at the drive-in theatre. Quebec's Catholic religion tendencies didn't stretch to allowing sinful drive-ins in Quebec. The cars lining up at the border late on Saturday afternoon to enter the US were almost all full with couples, kids, camp coolers and blankets, and there were always a lot more Quebec license plates on the cars at the drive in than local.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts