Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from the City-Data forum. They banned me years ago. They didn't like some photo I put up there. But that is not the deal. Thrillobyte make some interesting points. No telling how this will all work out. I do know that there is no gaurantee that countries live on in perpetuity. And if the dems ever get control, combined with the virus, we will be tag teamed from both ends.

I once read a forecast (maybe here) by some famous prognosticator that said the USA would be occupied by a foreign army within 10 years. OK, anything goes nowadays...anything is possible.

------------------

thrillobyte writes...

I cannot see a way out of this economic nightmare. Even if the Coronavirus abates it will not disappear. It's different from flu viruses. This Coronavirus can stay in the body and emerge months later to wreak havoc on the lungs where the first time around a person only felt mild symptoms to nothing. That is scary.

As we get into the know about this virus, people will be afraid to step outside their front doors. We will become a nation of recluses. The foolhardy who say, "F it!" will go out only to find an empty world out there. The few who do venture out and socialize will find themselves infected very quickly and end up in Intensive Care. The blow to our economy will be devastating--it is already devastating; analysts just announced AMC Theaters, the largest theater chain in the country will likely have to file for bankruptcy. It's extremely unlikely we can ever pull out of this. Hotel chains will close. The travel industry will shut down. Retail giants will shut their doors. Restaurants will have to adapt to home deliveries or die. We will become a nation of fast food drivers as the No. 1 employment opportunity. America doesn't have enough cash reserves to mail checks every two weeks for the rest of the year. This virus will reemerge with a vengeance next October and the cycle will start all over again for another 9 months.

The world is likely descending into another Great Depression. America is the No. 1 consumer and without people consuming China will go under soon as well. Europe will follow. These are dark times. With global warming AND the pandemic, we are likely at the beginnings of a second Dark Ages.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/pol...-i-fear-us-finished-nation.html#ixzz6JH2pAYKs

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
On the other hand, a bunch of civilizations in history abandon cities and go into "decline" (as we see it), because that density of population on a limited resources doesn't work. Disease are usually part of this process.
May be it is just our time. (Or I am drunk. But I had a good reason :) )

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,211 Posts
This is from the City-Data forum. They banned me years ago. They didn't like some photo I put up there. But that is not the deal. Thrillobyte make some interesting points. No telling how this will all work out. I do know that there is no gaurantee that countries live on in perpetuity. And if the dems ever get control, combined with the virus, we will be tag teamed from both ends.

I once read a forecast (maybe here) by some famous prognosticator that said the USA would be occupied by a foreign army within 10 years. OK, anything goes nowadays...anything is possible.

------------------

thrillobyte writes...

I cannot see a way out of this economic nightmare. Even if the Coronavirus abates it will not disappear. It's different from flu viruses. This Coronavirus can stay in the body and emerge months later to wreak havoc on the lungs where the first time around a person only felt mild symptoms to nothing. That is scary.

As we get into the know about this virus, people will be afraid to step outside their front doors. We will become a nation of recluses. The foolhardy who say, "F it!" will go out only to find an empty world out there. The few who do venture out and socialize will find themselves infected very quickly and end up in Intensive Care. The blow to our economy will be devastating--it is already devastating; analysts just announced AMC Theaters, the largest theater chain in the country will likely have to file for bankruptcy. It's extremely unlikely we can ever pull out of this. Hotel chains will close. The travel industry will shut down. Retail giants will shut their doors. Restaurants will have to adapt to home deliveries or die. We will become a nation of fast food drivers as the No. 1 employment opportunity. America doesn't have enough cash reserves to mail checks every two weeks for the rest of the year. This virus will reemerge with a vengeance next October and the cycle will start all over again for another 9 months.

The world is likely descending into another Great Depression. America is the No. 1 consumer and without people consuming China will go under soon as well. Europe will follow. These are dark times. With global warming AND the pandemic, we are likely at the beginnings of a second Dark Ages.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/pol...-i-fear-us-finished-nation.html#ixzz6JH2pAYKs
I won't under-estimate the ingenuity of man, particularly with the sophistication we have today with science and technology. With the chips down and everything riding on it, I think the most realistic long-term scenario is we develop vaccines not only for this virus, but all viruses. We will crack that code to beat viruses.

This virus will also probably have the short and intermediate term effect of having Americans step back from the rat-race, re-evaluate what is important, and spend more quality time with family and friends. Less expensive flights to Disney land and cruise ships and similar pre-fab vacations and more quality time at home doing family things. Probably less city living as well.

Also probably less globalism and more small community trade.

This could be a blessing in disguise.

We don't really need probably 75% of the nonsense we were accustomed to. Humans will adapt and survive even without a vaccine. We'll deal with PPE and then learn to isolate sick people, and stop traveling outside our communities as much. That's not entirely bad.

·
Banned
726 Posts
All the small businesses might shut down but the big ones will keep chugging along. You know companies like Wal-Mart, Amazon, or Disney. Also no one is ever going to invade the US, because of logistical reasons. The only two countries that could really take a bite out of the US is Canada or Mexico, and I just don't see that happening.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The countries that got control of this outbreak did it with massive testing programs to identify carriers and quarantine them until they weren't shedding virus that could infect someone else. People have been trying to get the powers that be to commit to large testing programs, but so far they can't even commit to requiring people to wear a rag around their head and keep six feet apart. If nothing else, when the economy is "started up" and the kids go back to school, people will be bringing the virus home with them.
If the country goes into another Depression, it'll be because of a half arsed response to the pandemic.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
The US still has aircraft flying. Carrying whatever people contract elsewhere and take it some other place.

Spring Break had full beaches with everybody partying it up. Spreading this crap to everybody else.

No one learns till its way too late. The USA had 2047 Deaths today so far. We also lead in the number of those who are currently infected.

No matter how much Reserve units we place everywhere, the virus is still going to spread.

And, it is no fun being stuck at home. But, there are many homeless running around everywhere. Coming right up to you asking for money. So, staying inside safe from these near dead individuals is your best bet.

For sale signs popping up all over town now. So many who don't have a clue on how to pay for their mortgages.

And, I believe that this Virus is going to require at least another month until it begins its decent out of its infect-Sickness-Death cycle upon over 1.5 Million now that have this thing.

People are just too stupid and or, arrogant to listen to reason. And, I don't think all who are infected are following isolation rules to prevent more spreading.

It is growing still faster each day.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had to go to the post office today to pick up a package because the mailman left a note saying that the package was too heavy for delivery. It's two rotors for the front of one of my trucks that probably weighed around twenty pounds.
The guy working the counter at the post office was wearing the type of mask that had two valves that opened when he exhaled and closed when he inhaled. It wasn't a N95 mask. I was wearing gloves, N95, goggles and a face shield. None of the other people were wearing any kind of PPE.
The guy was sweating, and didn't look very healthy, so I mentioned to him that if he was infected, he could spread the virus when he exhaled because the valves were open and there was no filtering. He said that the mask was the only one his wife could find on Amazon. The mask looked like it was designed to be used when someone was working in a shop or doing yard work.
I figure it's worth the trouble to spray alcohol on my mail from now on just in case he was infected. Most of the city and county offices closed down weeks ago, the local newspaper, which hasn't put out a new issue in weeks, reported in the last few issues that the city and county cops wouldn't be stopping the few cars that are still on the road unless there's a serious incident, but it seems that the Fed response is "business as usual."

·
The Black Death
228 Posts
And.... if this is the end of our great civilization, or we head in to a Dark Ages 2.0, we need to keep our wits about us more than ever.

We can be plucked like grapes on the vine, by ne'er-do-wells. We need to combat them and support our country. Surely we will not go quietly in to the good night. How can you be on a survivalist board and think otherwise?

Rest up. We may be on the front line of some great battle.

·
Only politics *****.
5,505 Posts
This won't be the end of the US or rest of the world. It will be a period which will see some changes i think.

The prospect of war would be unreasonable i think, because you're still pretty far away from most nations which could attack you, and still have the ultimate defense. And those nations are at the moment having the same problems you're and we're having, or even worse.

Also: the dark ages weren't that dark ;)

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
One other thing to notice is how our nation did not pull together during a crisis.

I remember partisanship was set aside for awhile after the 9/11 attack and we pulled together as one nation. That did not happen this time, the partisan attacks continue as bodies pile up. I think the Dems would welcome a million deaths if it meant Trump loses the 2020 elections.

We are truly a house divided now. Maybe we just don't see it, but I don't see our competitor nations tearing themselves apart from the inside.

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
5,449 Posts
One other thing to notice is how our nation did not pull together during a crisis.

I remember partisanship was set aside for awhile after the 9/11 attack and we pulled together as one nation. That did not happen this time, the partisan attacks continue as bodies pile up. I think the Dems would welcome a million deaths if it meant Trump loses the 2020 elections.

We are truly a house divided now. Maybe we just don't see it, but I don't see our competitor nations tearing themselves apart from the inside.
George Bush was of a more conciliatory nature as a President. Trump is as much to blame for the disharmony as the Democrats, mind you it’s a take no prisoners election year heading into a recession.

·
Let the Debate begin
6,355 Posts

Being a house divided is the only way we can survive.
Once we all agree, we are doomed to mediocrity.
The only reason the Democrats don't fade into
obscurity is that most (so called) Journalists are Democrats.

This fall, Democrats will try to blame President Trump for shutting
down the economy for not enough reason.
But because they chose a candidate with Dementia they won't be
able to take advantage of anything.

Anyone who wants unity in Government needs to move to Russia,
(that has an Economy comparable to Mexico), or China,
(where the pollution, in the Air, water, and food) makes survival
difficult.

Most people have a computer in their pockets, so they can choose
their own facts to believe. Communism is no longer banned, in the
US, you have to enjoy common sense to see it does not work.

Most people who die of the Corona Virus and are not old...…
Think about it- die because of their own choices.
They are, or were fat, they ruined their lungs by smoking,
they did not exercise.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ows-most-had-underlying-illnesses/2960151001/
Of the 4,758 deaths in New York since the first on March 14, 61% were men and 39% were women, the state Department of Health reportedon its new data portal.
In addition, 63% of the deaths were among those age 70 and older, while 7% of the cases were those 49 and younger.
And 4,089 of those who died had at least one other chronic disease, the records showed:
The leading underlying illness was hypertension, which showed up in 55% of the deaths.
Next was diabetes, which was diagnosed in 1,755 deaths, or about 37% of the cases.
Other top illnesses found in those who died from coronavirus were hyperlipidemia; coronary artery disease; renal disease and dementia.

I am not saying this is not a tragedy. My point is: once we get through this,
we will be stronger, not weaker.

China released this virus to destroy old people and people who are weak in
their country. It will do the same in ours.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts