Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have got it right, those imprisoned for multiple crimes in USA, will have to serve a consecutive sentence in which the period of imprisonment equals the sum of all the sentences. In Norway a certain person might get only 21 years of imprisonment (perhaps 30 if the new terrorist law is used). Somehow I feel that a bit too short.

Thanks for reading my rant.

·
Armed Border Collie
5,901 Posts
Concurrently and consecutive sentencing are a bit arbitrary, but can multiply an offenders stay in prison to some serious time. Many states that have the death penalty never actually use it so a consecutive sentence is an effective way to keep a person from retuning into society and reoffending. Only second in effectiveness to and armed citizenry.

·
Unable to read or comprehend rules.
1,318 Posts
If I have got it right, those imprisoned for multiple crimes in USA, will have to serve a consecutive sentence in which the period of imprisonment equals the sum of all the sentences. In Norway a certain person might get only 21 years of imprisonment (perhaps 30 if the new terrorist law is used). Somehow I feel that a bit too short.

You end up taking the good with the bad... Murderers and violent offenders get long sentences, but so do nonviolent offenders. It's a mixed system. Not enough rehabilitation, too much emphasis on revenge and punishment over education. But when it comes to a mass murderer like Breivik, as long as he wasn't a celebrity, he would most likely get the justice everyone deserves.

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
Our legal system sucks. Plea bargains because of overcrowding, dozens of BS death row appeals that often cost millions of dollars per case, too many attorneys and frivolous law suits.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts

What if they only charged the man with some of the murders today and the more 21 years from now and again 21 years after that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts