Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it: I'm not quite the OpSec police. I have yet to really contribute to this site, but I have made very big personal changes to what little preps I can afford. People older than me tell me I'm a young man with the soul of a retired man. That sums up my thought process. I am NOT your average teenager.

So the other day, I'm talking to my coworker who I trust, let's call her R. She's a mother hen so to speak. Tells me to put a jacket on for my hour commute and to get a bite to eat, so in a dead serious voice I turn to her and say "I have 3 jackets, enough food to get me through a few days of hell on the road, 2 cases of water, my snow chains, and a sleeping bag. I can rip my seats for a pillow too. Think I'll survive an hour?"

Now, I couldn't believe I had gone that far :eek: but I'm glad I did. She turns over to me and says I know what's up son. I have a gnawing feeling she preps as well. :thumb:

Fast forward to a week, I'm not a party animal but my mom has a good friend with turntables and what not. Let's call the guy J and his girl C.

My mom, call her M, got onto the topic of Infowars and FEMA issuing trailers post Katrina and what not. It turns out J knows a few things, things I could perhaps learn from him after bartering or set up a community post regional state or national SHTF.

Anyone else have these experiences? Knowing people who you least suspect, but they end up becoming a prepping buddy? Being 19 it's useful at least for me. Especially around elders knowing much more than I do :)

Happy day everyone, stay safe! :)

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,966 Posts
I know of a few local people who prep to varying degrees, but none I'd call a prepping buddy.

More's the pity, as it would be nice to share ideas, do group buys, practice some things, and so on.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Ours is mostly immediate family. A few friends prep to varying degrees and know they have a place to BO to if they need it but not part of the core group.

It helps in a way bc those ppl you don't have to worry about shtf.

·
Hunter, Photographer
748 Posts
I discuss it occasionally with guys I really trust at work. Almost all of us garden and can so that's a big topic in the break room. Then there's always the gun guy that can't have kids so he has more toys then I'll ever be able to afford. He soso knows what I'm into, mostly because I ask him advice on firearms and ideas for a rifle/handgun combo to keep in my truck. There's also another guy who I discussed BOBs with. I always try to push being prepared though. Convinced a fellow that he should have a BOB or at least a emergency kit in his car, and gave him a few places including this site for reference materials. He's a very conservative person so I thought he may fit in well here.

Also want to add, I'm young too and cannot prep much but all my family knows about it my "emergency backpack" that I keep into truck and only know some of it's contents. Will get them on the idea slowly. My grandmother did go through a prepping phase when H1N1 first was discovered in case it reached pandemic level.

·
I'm just getting started!
136 Posts
I work with a guy that is out of the military. He saw me reading a magazine, I think Mother Earth, and asked if I was a prepper. He came right out and said he has been for years. Very knowledgable and willing to share. I ask him stuff all the time. It's nice to be able to be open up with at least one person outside the family. I don't have to worry about him showing up when shtf.

·
Indefatigable
21,114 Posts
Most of the people I know who prep and who know I prep, I either grew up with or met when I was a young adult. We were the poor country kids with common sense. Prepper is just the new buzz word. I have no family left, the group my husband and I belong to, is made up of 13 urban preppers. None of the people I grew up with are in our group. There are a few I met in my 20's, none that I have known for less than 11 years. I talk with and sometimes visit a few of the people I grew up with, most of them inherited land and live full time at their BOL No one is totally off the grid. Most are still tied to their 9-5.
When it comes to co-workers I keep a low profile, but over he years a few have asked questions. When asked a direct question about prepping I answer truthfully but without added details. Otherwise, I don't bring up the subject. To my knowledge I have only "converted" one person. A college room mate from NYU, who now lives in Chicago. He knows he can head to our location if SHTF. We don't specifically prep for him, but the group agrees, with his skill set, he's welcome.

Reactions: extremejoy9

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Eventually the only way to meet other preppers is to break opsec to some extent.

This does not mean giving them every detail of where you live, where you keep your supplies and how much ammo you have first time you discuss prepping...as it seems some OPSEC Ninjas seem to believe.

I have shared that I am interested in prepping with several people I was "feeling out". I open up a bit, to get them comfortable talking about their feelings on it. Heck, I often LIE the first couple times we talk ("Oh, water storage. I keep meaning to get on that, but really only have a couple bottles in my fridge"). Get people talking, feeling safe to do so, and you can find what sort of person they are LONG before you give away any sort of important info.

Tell em you are just starting, that you have been doing a lot of reading but have not starting buying gear and stuff yet. Ask them about what sort of stuff they are worried about and what they are prepping for, share what you are worried about.

Dialogue can occur without anything but your interest being given away.

Then, once they either gain your trust or are dismissed by you as non-viable, you go from there.

Reactions: extremejoy9

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have tried to "enlighten" my coworkers on being prepared but most are sheeple and the typical response I get is "the government will take care of us". I've pointed out several instances where people need to be at least a little self sufficient (i.e. Hurricane Katrina, Super Storm Sandy) because they are on their own until (if) FEMA shows up and no one ever really believes it could happen to them. I've even had once coworker go so far as to say she'd rather be dead than live in "that kind of world" after an event. I'm horrified on her behalf. Fact is, some people just aren't going to get it, no matter what evidence we provide them. Fortunately, in my small world, most of the people important to me have embraced prepping so when it happens, my brothers, my brother in law and I will be positioned to help my sisters and parents post event. Everyone else is on their own....

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm pretty open it about my prepping. I don't go into hard numbers or anything like that, but I believe I'm doing people I care about a disservice if I don't get them to try and be self sufficient. I'm lucky I live in a small town where most folks believe in the old ways of having stuff put back for a hard time just as our grandparents did.

·
It could always be worse
155 Posts
I hunt, I hike, and I go fishing tonnes. I have a car edc that gets used frequently for 1st aid and when people break out the drinks after work. But apart from that virtually nobody knows anything about my other hobbies.

I have only broken opsec completely once and that was after my mother told be that she had started prepping about 6 months ago. Since then its been fantastic having someone to discuss things with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A guy at work has extensive military training from his past life in England, we've been discussing prepping a little bit over the last couple weeks. We've both got young sons and had been discussing about teaching them some self-defence and resourcefulness, which is how I worked out he is a fellow prepper. He's the only person in my 'real world' that knows I prep. I plan to keep it that way for a while! He is a wealth of information.

·
Banned
985 Posts
Hard to find preppers close to you if everything you do is a secret......not like it's not on TV and media pretty regular......never show your hole card till you can trust someone....

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
Situations for opsec are vastly different depending on where you live. Here in the city I am not telling anyone about what I do unless they have similar interests and only then I talk about those interests (gardening, fishing, hunting, shooting). I never talk about storing food or water or preparing for any type of shtf event. This is because most of these people live within 10 miles of me and have no skills with which to trade anything of value.

Now in a more rural setting where you have people that own livestock or gardening, opsec is somewhat more relaxed. More people hunt/fish, live on stuff they grow and are more into canning and preserving their excess production. These people are less likely to need immediate food within 2 weeks. They are also more likely to be nominally prepared because they have experienced long term power outages or severe weather that would disrupt their normal supply run.

Just my overgeneralized 2 cents.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Very, very few people know that I am prepping. Those who do are either family and a part of the plan, or are allies, are prepping themselves, and are sufficiently far enough away that it's not an issue. They've even invited us to join if SHTF, as long as we bring our preps as well and can deliver some food or seeds.

·
Yo soy es tu papa!!
2,437 Posts
I've got a buddy that carries a messenger bag with him everywhere he goes. I always **** with him about it, but I'm sure it's his version of an EDC. I just leave my EDC in my car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts