Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I go to the grocery store, or even go to work, things seem to be getting a more serious.

Today on the way home from work I saw people in their vehicle with mask on. Not a big deal but nice to see people wearing them.

Stores counting how many people are going in and out.

Cars lined up for hundreds of yards at the food bank.

Saw a guy this morning with a little red wagon walking home from the food bank; there was a box of food in the wagon. He also had a mask on.

Roads are almost empty in the morning.

Liquor stores sold out of Everclear from people making homemade hand sanitizer.

Several people in the grocery store wearing mask.

I used Everclear in a squirt bottle to wipe down the handle of the grocery store buggy.

The look of distrust in everyone eyes.

They say New York may hit the Apex soon, but I think it will be a long time before the nation as a whole is let loose from lockdown.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why are you still going???
I guess I could open my #10 cans and mylar bags. It is still several weeks before the garden starts producing.

Are you living off your preps?

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
I guess I could open my #10 cans and mylar bags. It is still several weeks before the garden starts producing.

Um....so I take it you don't practice eat what you store and store what you eat?

There is a LOT of normal food with a shelf life of at least six months, and a lot that is good for a year or two.

It's not just bananas and milk OR mylar rice and beans.

I'm just kinda confused here....how often did you go shopping normally??

And what do you mean "I do not even know where to start"......I'm pretty sure you of all people should know where to start prepping....or are you talking about something else?

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts

Of course. For the past month. I'm old, if I get it, it will be like Thunderdome: Two enter, one leaves, and it may not be me. :eek:

Because there's no reason to dip into long term preps if you can safely shop at the grocery store every week? :thumb:
Saving your preps for a rainy day? You seem certain the grocery store is safe; if you're wrong and catch it and die, will your preps be buried with you so you can enjoy them in the afterlife? Me, I'd rather use my preps for what I bought them for - to keep all of us safe - than act like Silas Marner counting his gold pieces.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
groceries after shtf

Um....so I take it you don't practice eat what you store and store what you eat?
Years ago when my kids were young I would keep a nice stockpile of canned goods. With no children at home my wife and I slimmed our canned stockpile down.

Yes, I have a stock of canned foods, meat in the freezer, #10 cans of freeze dried foods, dried food in mylar bags, chickens, and a garden on the way.

I still stop at a grocery store on the way home and pick up a few odds and ends.

·
I'M READY!!
4,140 Posts
Up north here, it's gone full lockdown now. At least where I am anyways. Starting tomorrow, for work I'm required to carry an official letter along with my employee ID in case I get pulled over by the police and questioned about being out for "essential" reasons. Maybe necessary to slow the spread of this virus but oh my, what a potentially slippery slope we're on right now.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Up north here, it's gone full lockdown now. At least where I am anyways. Starting tomorrow, for work I'm required to carry an official letter along with my employee ID in case I get pulled over by the police and questioned about being out for "essential" reasons. Maybe necessary to slow the spread of this virus but oh my, what a potentially slippery slope we're on right now.
Is that legal, demanding you produce papers.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My employer handed out papers to employees two weeks ago.

Is that legal, demanding you produce papers.
Depends. Even Texas is going on lock down.

A nearby town as a 24 hour curfew on children under 18 years old. A coworker got pulled over on the way to work and asked where he was going.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Because there's no reason to dip into long term preps if you can safely shop at the grocery store every week? :thumb:
I mean, that's been my approach. Realistically I could stay shut-in for a few months before having to resurface again. My concern though is that if I do that starting tomorrow that the situation in 2 months might be much worse than what it is now, and then I'm out of supplies.

So for now I'm picking up about 2-3 weeks of perishables at a time and filling up both fridges. I do my shopping at off-hours, in rural stores, and properly suited up. I then sanitize everything when I get back home.

There's absolutely a risk, but I'm willing to accept that risk if it means being able to save my long-term storage for when that risk is too great to accept.

·
I want a house.
503 Posts
Kev, please consider just staying home from now on.

We don't have nearly the preps that most have here, but we're kind of actually afraid to go outside.
If the police decide that we're contravening, they can issue a $750 or $1000 fine, and frankly I don't think it's worth leaving our property for anything.
Make do, sincerely, has become our motto.

I suspect that we're going to be welded into our homes anyway quite soon, like the did in China and Italy and what they're working on in Iran.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
I have my work ID, a government ID, papers for work, and I'm hoping no stops on my upcoming road trips.

I'll go through 2 states next week, figure out what and where to stay and eat. Pack a car to as a get home bag and drive. The next trip will be 2000 miles one way through multiple states.

Woot. You guys get electricity.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kev, please consider just staying home from now on.
Thank you, but I am part of the petrochemical industry.

People like me make sure you have oil and gas, and the trucks that delivery your food have oil and fuel.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts