Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I felt like using my dutch oven so I built a fire on my dutch oven table and got some nice coals.

Made some biscuits and put them in the butter coated cast iron oven.

In about 17 minutes they were about as perfect a buttermilk biscuit as you could want.

We had these with sausage that I made and scrambled eggs from our Barred Rock hens.

I had a good bed of coals going so I bakes a cake.

My 6 yearold grand daughter frosted it with chocolate frosting that she made from scratch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That is one nice set up. I like how it gets it up at a more comfortable level to use it. I enjoy the dutch oven/coal cooking. I will be looking in to something similar. Thanks friend!

·
Dismember
1,970 Posts
Apologies, because we all have too much *stuff*...but I love my Volcano grill setup. I can stack 3 dutch ovens, and it's multi-fuel.

I am jealous of that table!

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
I made the table. Most of my stuff is home made because I'm cheap and can make more durable items for less money.
You are not CHEAP, you are frugal (spends money wisely).:thumb:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Love your cooking set up.

When I grew up we had a wood stove for all our cooking. In the summer it got too hot to use the stove so we made biscuits or cornbread in a dutch oven outside.

When I first moved to Alaska I was working for the RR in Healy. There was no place to live so I built a cabin 3 miles north in Lignite. We lived in a tent while I was building my cabin.

At night I would soak beans. In the morning I'd boil them tell they broke oven, then put them in the dutch oven. I had a hole dug, and filled it with hot coals, put the dutch oven in , put more coals on the top and buried the whole set up.

I had fresh baked beans that night. Also cooked Biscuits. I still have my dutch oven.

Your post makes me want to dig it out and use it here just for old time sake.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Baked quiche lorraine in mine last week. One of the nephews got back from Houston (MD Anderson) and he's not in best of spirits, but he dug into that like it was good. He likes to cook, and he kept pestering me about how I get that smoky taste into the quiche. Finally told him it was the wood chips I put with the charcoal....

·
Storyteller
2,205 Posts
Where did you find the cooking table? Thats what I need.
About that "table"

Camp Chef Cooking table - will hold charcoal or a gas stove. $80 to $100.

Roll your own with bits from an old table

(From Dutch Oven Gear) basic table with some added work space

If you can think outside the box, all sorts of things will work!

Finally - need a big fry pan?

·
Storyteller
2,205 Posts
If you haven't (yet) tried Dutch oven cooking over coals, this may help

Size matters! Going larger or smaller will affect the temperature - start with cooking something simple and consider using a small oven thermometer as you start...

·
Storyteller
2,205 Posts
Heck, I use a 55 gallon drum with a piece of flat sandstone on top of it.... Your rig is nice, DKR.
You are too kind, I use the big oil drain pan on a flower stand - helps to keep everything out of the rain!

I do like the looks of that wooden table with the brick inlay....if I just didn't live in Alaska...

·
Storyteller
2,205 Posts

As mentioned earlier in the thread - this is a Volcano stove with a Dutch Oven 'insert'

Looks pretty skooum. BTW - last I looked, the Volcano 2 stoves go for about $100. Certainly in the same range of costs for a commercial-made metal cooking table.

My apologies to the OP if my series of posts is seen as a derail. I'm only trying to get more folks interested in Dutch oven cooking - just the thing for cooking in a power out situation....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts