Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone through several dozen threads so far, since joining, and have made some changes to my original list of items I felt I need in order to remain self sufficient if I have to unass my current location.

I haven't listed any specific brands. Most of this gear will go into a Large ALICE pack that I recently purchased from a military surplus shop. It was "cheap" in terms of cost, but it came with a frame, new straps and the seams appear to have been reinforced or repaired. I think it will hold up.

These items are what I intend to keep with me 24/7. If I am able to, I have a 3 months supply of dehydrated food and some bottled water to take with me if I can.

Main Pack
First Aid Kit: Burns, Snake Bite, Insect Sting, Sun Screen, Pain Relief, Insect Repellent, Indigestion, Multi-Vitamin

Wet Weather Gear : Poncho

Cold Weather Gear: Knit Cap, Gloves, Wool Socks, Winter Coat, Thermal Underwear
Food & Water : Water Filter / Purifier, Single Person Dehydrated food packs – 7 Days, Fishing Kit, Folding Camp Grill, Mess Kit, Matches, Lighters & Fire Steel, Siphoning Hose for Water, Canteen or Camel Pack

Clothing Other: Socks, Shirts, Cargo Pants & Shorts, Hiking Shoes, Sewing Kit for repairs

Communications: Weather/AM/FM Radio (Solar or Dynamo), GMRS Radio, Solar Panel for Battery Charging, Rechargeable Batteries

Shelter & Sleeping: One Man Tent, Tarp, Sleeping Bag, Bed Roll, Extra Rope, Folding Shovel w/ Pick, Axe & Saw

Shoulder Bag
Laminated Maps of Area, LED Flashlight, Compass, SAS Survival Handbook, Trapping Hand Book, Edible Plants Handbook, Ink Pens, Notebook, Binoculars

Personal Protection & Hunting
Yugoslavian SKS, .40 Glock, Hunting Knife & Sharpening Stone, Snares for trapping

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like a good start.
I would add a some fishing gear to your pack, it makes for easy food and something to do to kill time. Also how much ammo do you plan on taking because this will add suggnifacant weight to your pack.

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest about the Ammo, I'm not sure. I intend to stock up on a few sealed tins of rifle ammo. Those will be fine if I am not forced to move much, but if I have to skip town on foot, it will make it more difficult.

I was giving some thought to making a kind of modified litter with a big, solid wheel or two that I could tow behind me if I have to get out on foot. It would allow me to bring along things that I would, otherwise, have to leave behind.

As for the fishing gear, I figured a brim-buster (that's what we call a telescoping cane pole) a few hundred feet of line, hooks and weights would suffice. If I setup camp near the river nearby, I know a few spots to dig for worms as bait. Another solution I thought about for fishing would be trout lines. Set a few lines and go back to other things, like foraging or securing a camp site.

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
Not that I know from experience but from what I've read on similar forums is that snake bite kit is about as useful as tits on a rattler. I'd look into that for sure.

Also, skip the rope and go with military 550 para-cord. 550lb tinsel strength and saves a ton of space. Not to mention that you can "gut" it and use the guts for sewing or fishing line...etc,

Grab some duct tape or similar. Remember the saying, "If it cant be duct its f*ct" ;)

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
Looks like a great start to me ...a few things i would add...maybe a titanium cup u can use it as a cup/cooking pot maybe a soda can stove and a few bottles of heet...in the yellow bottle...for quick cooking on the go ...a headlamp...can get one for 15$ ,a sharping stone and a good knife and a camp axe...the 3 in 1 shovels are nice...but u will find out u are better off with an axe just my 2 cents...and for the SKS i would look on CTD(cheaper than dirt.com) for a chest rig ...they have them for 10$ for the SKS ...good way to carry your ammo ...and save room in your pack...para cord just like others have said...and duct tape.....a role will go a long way and has many uses :thumb:

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
I am not so much for the gear as I am for experience. My friend you can have the best stuff made, but if you don't know how, or why to use it, its useless. I am not at all implying that, that's your case. I am speaking for myself here...

OK "TheDragon" is a martial arts expert.(he even knew MY sifu) He is also in tune with nature. He once said that "everything we need to survive is out there, and has been this entire time. If it was not so, then we wouldn't be here." He is right. Food, tools, resources are all around us. However somewhere along the way we lost the knowledge of our ancestors.

We traded farming for McDonalds.

I am not saying leave behind what makes life easier, I am saying, it wont matter if you have it, if you can never catch fish, never trap animals, and you don't know edible from poison.

So I personally would consider striving to not Bug out. But bug in. Learn to farm. Learn to live off the grid. Learn to make every modern comfort on your own. Because you can be a survivalist, and still enjoy electricity, and warm beds.

Save your money, buy some land. Learn to live Bugged out. You might find that you enjoy it better. I never thought I would.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
I want to add a correction. It was late last night. I meant to say Royal Dragon. Not "the dragon". Sorry. I was talking about another survivalist here.

·
Here's Johnny!
306 Posts
... Most of this gear will go into a Large ALICE pack that I recently purchased from a military surplus shop. It was "cheap" in terms of cost, but it came with a frame, new straps and the seams appear to have been reinforced or repaired. I think it will hold up.
What kind of truck are you getting to haul your pack?

Said in jest of course. But that is a lot of weight to pack.
:eek:

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not so much for the gear as I am for experience. My friend you can have the best stuff made, but if you don't know how, or why to use it, its useless. I am not at all implying that, that's your case. I am speaking for myself here...

OK "TheDragon" is a martial arts expert.(he even knew MY sifu) He is also in tune with nature. He once said that "everything we need to survive is out there, and has been this entire time. If it was not so, then we wouldn't be here." He is right. Food, tools, resources are all around us. However somewhere along the way we lost the knowledge of our ancestors.

We traded farming for McDonalds.

I am not saying leave behind what makes life easier, I am saying, it wont matter if you have it, if you can never catch fish, never trap animals, and you don't know edible from poison.

So I personally would consider striving to not Bug out. But bug in. Learn to farm. Learn to live off the grid. Learn to make every modern comfort on your own. Because you can be a survivalist, and still enjoy electricity, and warm beds.

Save your money, buy some land. Learn to live Bugged out. You might find that you enjoy it better. I never thought I would.
My intentions are to stay right where I am unless absolutely necessary to leave. My brother and I jointly own the property that once belonged to my grandfather. On the property is an enclosed shed with a concrete floor and a wood stove. There's also an electric and manual water pump. I have about an acre of land that would need to be cleared to grow vegetables. I've started clearing brush and grinding it up to start a compost heap.

I've had to borrow a log splitter, but I've started gathering wood from fallen trees on and around the property. Next door, there is a wooded area that I can use to cut down trees for wood if needed. I can hunt and fish. I intend to grab a few books on local vegetation to identify what is and is not edible.

With that, I shouldn't have to leave the area. A few miles walk to a river for water plus some rain barrels setup under the gutters of the shed to collect water as well.

<quote>
What kind of truck are you getting to haul your pack?
</quote>

If it's necessary to travel a long distance on foot, I'll have no choice except to lose a good bit of the gear. That pack will live in the trunk of my car along with my 3 month supply of food. I'm going camping several times until I am comfortable with my own self-sufficiency.

The area I live in is, for the most part, rural. I live near the town limits, but we're surrounded by farm land and woods.

·
Registered
68 Posts
As for the fishing gear, I figured a brim-buster (that's what we call a telescoping cane pole) a few hundred feet of line, hooks and weights would suffice. If I setup camp near the river nearby, I know a few spots to dig for worms as bait. Another solution I thought about for fishing would be trout lines. Set a few lines and go back to other things, like foraging or securing a camp site.
A gill net is another option for fishing they are lite weight and do not take much space. They work like a dream

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
man, go do a few long hikes with that alice of yours. I can't go very long with one without an lbe to keep it in the right place. Alice frames are built to be carried over lbe, and without the added support or at least a belt, the stock frames will cause much discomfort. Fortunately, lengthening the frame isn't that hard.

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
man, go do a few long hikes with that alice of yours. I can't go very long with one without an lbe to keep it in the right place. Alice frames are built to be carried over lbe, and without the added support or at least a belt, the stock frames will cause much discomfort. Fortunately, lengthening the frame isn't that hard.
The pack I got had new shoulder straps and a new kidney belt.

This is the pack I purchased, before the price bumped up....http://www.battledressuniform.com/90-05fr.html

If that's not what you're talking about, could you give me an example? I'm looking ate ALICE LBE's on various sites but only see suspenders with various different pouches and such.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts