·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is exactly why exercise my right to keep and bear arms:

Sep 5, 2008 12:40 pm US/Central
125 Shot Dead In Chicago Over Summer
Total Is About Double The U.S. Troop Death Toll In Iraq
CHICAGO (CBS) ― An estimated 125 people were shot and killed over the summer. That's nearly double the number of U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq over the same time period.

In May, cbs2chicago.com began tracking city shootings and posting them on Google maps. Information compiled from our reporters, wire service reports and the Chicago Police Major Incidents log indicated that 125 people were shot and killed throughout the city between the start of Memorial Day weekend on May 26, and the end of Labor Day on Sept. 1.

According to the Defense Department, 65 U.S. soldiers were killed in combat in Iraq. About the same number were killed in Afghanistan over that same period.

In the same time period, an estimated 247 people were shot and wounded in the city.

Tracking Summer Shootings In Chicago

Police department spokeswoman Monique Bond disputed the numbers, saying in an e-mail that sometimes shootings are re-classified as accidental. She said the CBS 2 analysis did not match official department statistics, but she did not provide details. CBS 2 has asked for that information.

"The department officially releases crime statistics on a monthly basis to ensure the proper investigations are thoroughly conducted to determine manner and motive which also may result in reclassifications, '' Bond said.

Violent crime reports available on the department's website do not break down shootings by month. However, the latest report shows that the murder in the city is up 18 percent from last year. From January-July, the department reports 291 people were murdered, compared with 246 for the same period in 2007.

Bond said gang-related violence presents the most serious danger to Chicago residents.

"Gang and gun violence continue to be the dominating threat on our streets," Bond said in an e-mail. "Up to 60 percent of the shootings are gang related. More than 90 percent of the offenders have criminal histories and up to 80 percent of the victims have criminal histories."

For total shootings, the South Side's Englewood District, which includes the Englewood and West Englewood neighborhoods on the city's South Side, fared the worst over the summer. A total of 11 people were shot dead there, and 46 were shot and wounded.

The highest homicide totals came in the Grand Crossing District, which includes the South Shore, Woodlawn, Park Manor and Grand Crossing neighborhoods on the South Side, 13 people were killed and 24 were injured.

Also hit severely by gun violence over the summer was the Harrison District on the city's West Side, where 11 people were shot dead and 25 were shot and wounded. In the Southwest Side's Chicago Lawn District, 12 people were shot and killed and 15 were shot and wounded. In the Ogden District – which includes the Near Southwest Side's Lawndale and Little Village neighborhoods – nine people were killed and eight were injured.

The South Chicago District on the Southeast Side saw nine people killed and 18 injured, almost all concentrated in the South Chicago and Avalon Park neighborhoods at the north end of the district.

The Far South Side's Calumet District – including the Roseland, Fernwood and Pullman neighborhoods – saw nine killed and 23 injured.

Breakdown of summer shootings by police district:
• District 1 – Central (Loop, West Loop, Near South Side): 1 dead, 4 injured
• District 2 – Wentworth (Washington Park, Bronzeville, Fuller Park): 2 dead, 10 injured
• District 3 – Grand Crossing (South Shore, Woodlawn, Park Manor, Grand Crossing) 13 dead, 24 injured
• District 4 – South Chicago (Far Southeast Side to Indiana state line): 9 dead, 18 injured
• District 5 – Calumet (Roseland, Fernwood, West Pullman): 9 dead, 23 injured
• District 6 – Gresham (Auburn-Gresham, Chatham): 5 dead, 19 injured
• District 7 – Englewood (Englewood, West Englewood: 11 dead, 46 injured
• District 8 – Chicago Lawn (most of the Southwest Side): 12 dead, 15 injured
• District 9 – Deering (Back of the Yards, Bridgeport, Canaryville, Brighton Park): 4 dead, 15 injured
• District 10 – Ogden (Little Village, much of North Lawndale): 9 dead, 8 injured
• District 11 – Harrison (Garfield Park, parts of North Lawndale): 11 dead, 25 injured
• District 12 – Monroe (Near West Side): 1 dead, 2 injured
• District 13 – Wood (West Town, Ukrainian Village, parts of Humboldt Park): 3 dead, 1 injured
• District 14 – Shakespeare (Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square, parts of Humboldt Park): 6 dead, 1 injured
• District 15 – Austin (North and South Austin): 6 dead, 8 injured
• District 16 – Jefferson Park (Far Northwest Side from Portage Park to O'Hare International Airport): 0 dead, 0 injured
• District 17 – Albany Park (Albany Park, Irving Park, Avondale): 2 dead, 0 injured
• District 18 – Near North (Lincoln Park, Gold Coast Magnificent Mile, Near North Side): 1 dead, 5 injured
• District 19 – Belmont (Lakeview, Roscoe Village, Lincoln Square, North Center): 1 dead, 1 injured
• District 20 – Lincoln (Edgewater, Andersonville, Rosehill Cemetery, Budlong Woods): 0 dead, 1 injured
• District 21 – Prairie (Hyde Park, Kenwood Oakland-Douglas, Lake Meadows, Chinatown): 2 dead, 2 injured
• District 22 – Morgan Park (Beverly, Morgan Park, Mt. Greenwood): 5 dead, 4 injured
• District 23 – Town Hall (East Lakeview, Uptown): 1 dead, 4 injured
• District 24 – Rogers Park (East and West Rogers Park): 2 dead, 2 injured
• District 25 – Grand Central (Belmont-Cragin, Kelvyn Park, Hermosa, Galewood): 8 dead, 10 injured

Adam Harrington, cbs2chicago.com
(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's scary sh*t. I was living in Detroit this summer because I was doing an internship downtown (lived 3 miles east of downtown, so a decent area as far as Detroit goes). Detroit's murder rate went down last year because people are moving the hell out. No jobs for the bruthas.

It's truly a shame that the Stanley Cup Champion Redwings (my favorite team since I grew up in the suburbs) have to represent such a nasty city. :(

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080915/METRO/809150413/1409/METRO

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
THAT my friends is what Obama brings to the table..... HIS City, the one he has helped So much.
Barack Obama is completely responsible for every bad thing that happens in Chicago.

Who knew

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
What really makes me mad is when Obama talks about educating and creating jobs!

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
McCain was frankensteined out of parts of dead POWs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I’m always perplexed by the level of “gun violence” (an inanimate object is responsible for crime ;D) in the cities with the strictest gun laws. There is ample evidence that stricter gun laws will not affect crime. Taking responsibility for one self and teaching your offspring responsibility is about the only thing that will change crime statistics.

I thankfully live in a city where I am able to legally protect myself and my loved ones with deadly force when appropriate. Many hardworking honest Americans do not have this right and live in fear for their safety in cities with strict gun laws.

So I guess I cling to my guns because I live in a free society. It sounds ironic but our founding fathers created a representative republic which allowed it citizens great amounts of personal freedom. The only way this society functions properly though is when it when this freedom is exercised with responsibility.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Ok, now it's time for a reality check.

What none of your statistics mentioned is that most of the people getting shot in the cities are gangsters. If you're not involved in some nefarious group or activity, your odds of getting shot go way the hell down.

Does an innocent person get killed once in a while? Yup, they sure do. But your statistics don't differentiate between the guilty and the innocent.

I'm not trying to make an anti-gun argument. I'm a gun owner myself. And I'm sure some stupid hillbilly is going to read this post and start accusing me of being anti-gun. But it's not true. I'm just pointing out the problem with your statistics.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, now it's time for a reality check.

What none of your statistics mentioned is that most of the people getting shot in the cities are gangsters. If you're not involved in some nefarious group or activity, your odds of getting shot go way the hell down.

Does an innocent person get killed once in a while? Yup, they sure do. But your statistics don't differentiate between the guilty and the innocent.

I'm not trying to make an anti-gun argument. I'm a gun owner myself. And I'm sure some stupid hillbilly is going to read this post and start accusing me of being anti-gun. But it's not true. I'm just pointing out the problem with your statistics.

I agree that most of these are a result of someone being involved in some nefarious activity. However, if these people are brazen enough to kill off each other, then predation of the average joe or jane is nothing to criminals and these stats should further justify the second ammendment.

Ever notice the lack of stories about average joe/jane defending themselves with a gun? As you know, just brandishing a gun is enough to sway a would be offender and most people would not call the police unless they had to shoot or if they captured said bad guy.

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
Oh my god, he's a zombie!
acctually it'd be a flesh golem, a type of construct, pretty much a robot made of human parts. A zombie is an undead, some dead dude brought back to life.

"A flesh golem golem cannot speak, although it can emit a hoarse roar of sorts. It walks and moves with a stiff-jointed gait, as if not in complete control of its body. " sounds a lot like Mccain to me

sorry, couldnt resist the D&D references.:D:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Because a Cop is too heavy to carry. I have lived in Houston and surrounding area for over 50yrs and have seen it go from the Murder Capitol of the World to something more manageable, due in most part to some hard nose cops. Things have gotten worse since Katrina when the gangsters from New Orleans relocated here, but are not as bad as they were. Things can be improved, it just takes a lot of work and time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here in Jax, Florida we have the same issue.Every day its another shooting mainly black on black crime in the downtown area.When society breaks down prepared people have to bug out of these areas fast.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Barack Obama is completely responsible for every bad thing that happens in Chicago.

No Obama and the communist/socalists made those moments possiable.

They disarm the good guys ( Law abiding citizens and to a degree the police) and arming the bad guys. (who don't give up theres and will use what ever they have to kill with any how.)

By being soft on crime. (For they're being picked on for being poor,or their color or the "social status".) Thus they become embrazened for they don't fear the Law. For the liberials in the court have turned jails in to the "Hilton" and even thats a revolving door.

By advocating the culture of the fatherless home and widespread dependance on drugs.

Its ok to have sex as a child before becoming a responsable adult.

Glorifying sex and violance as a corner stone of a society as "personal choice".

By makeing the welfare state a rewarding endeavor versus a temporay mesure.

Education is out come based.

Class warfare is good.

On and on and on. They feed the fuel to the fire.

Rifleman 336

1 - 20 of 20 Posts