Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so, we were having problems with our water. Replaced the pump, that didn't do it, replaced the pressure tank, that didn't do it. dug new line to the other cistern and hooked it up to the pump, a jet pump, that didn't do it. Went and bought a submersible pump and put it down in the cistern, YES it worked for about an hour! Then noticed a leak where the pipe goes through to the house, back to no water. This has been almost a week now with no water. Been using a bucket to dip water out of the cistern to use for the stool, and to water the animals. SUCKS in below zero temps!! So now I find that I have to get a counter top water filter system, for drinking water out of the cistern, and how in the heck can you wash clothes when the rocks are froze solid in the creek!!??:( So yeah, a day or two sure, but extended water issues in winter, I am sooo not prepared!!:mad:

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
I have found the best way to prepare is to actually practice. For example shut the water off to your house, the gas, the electricity, and go a couple days without. You'll find many of the weaknesses in your plan that way.

Of course there will always be emergencies that are difficult to practice such as water flooding your home, a tornado ripping it off is foundation, an earth quake leveling it, etc. But you can get some of the basic issues worked out.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,513 Posts
Pammygene, it sounds like you are off grid and live in the country on a farm?
Being off grid in the winter especially with below zero temps is difficult, sometimes extremely so.
Which is one big reason I do not live on my remote mtn place from Nov. to June since there is deep snow - 12 foot snowpack by April. I was up there in October and there was snow everyday and the water that was not inside all froze, even water that was in insulated jugs.

Hope you will tell us more about your country place with pics even, Maybe? Especially if you are off grid and what you do.

But you are more prepared than most, just being on this survivalistboards for one thing. And I am sure you have stored food etc?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I was thinking about that, better to lose water now, and yeah I am seeing ALL the holes in my water situation. Between both cisterns I can store over 11,000 gallons of water and they are both set up to catch rain water off the roof of the house and the barn, plus a small pond down the hill. I have water filters in the house for the water, but with no way to run it through them except by the pump, so that is why I need a counter top one. I will have to put in a hand pump for at least one of them. I have one, but I have to get new seals for it and get it cleaned up. That will be first on the list of spring projects. It is just that the system is old, 50 years or better, and it just finally gave up ship, I just moved onto this place and it has been pretty run down for quite awhile, but we are getting it back up to par. It just sucks that it happened during a really good cold snap. Which makes you think, if the s does htf, I reallllllly hope it happens during good weather!! :)

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
if the s does htf, I reallllllly hope it happens during good weather!! :)
It never really works out that way though. In fact it is usually bad weather that creates the SHTF moment in the first place. And COLD is one of the worst and most deadly.

Its good your working these little bugs out now. You'll be much better off for it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forget the "Rocks", buy a large iron cauldron and boil your clothes like the old days.
LOL, do I have to have the warts on my face too!! I forget how the saying goes... something, something, toil and trouble.... But yeah I guess I could, I got a big ol wash tub. I got an old ringer washer in the basement too that still works. It came with the house, BONUS!!!:D:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just acouple of things:

1- See if your check-valve is still functioning.

2- Was your pressure tank propperly presurizesd?

3- Did you get the right pressure switch and calibrated it correctly ?

4- Could it be that the real problem is in your electrical system ?

5- Might you have any shut-off valves that have accidentily been turned off ?

6- Did you properly prime the pumps ?

Not that you have'nt already but s l o w l y go down the whole line and check every single connection of any kind. I worked in plumbing for several years and saw alot of simple things or even multiple simple items contribute to lack of water.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah ducttape thanks, The problem is that he didn't run all new pipe, there was a 20-30 foot section that he spliced into that goes into the house that he assumed was still good. NOT, that was why the jet pump wouldn't prime, plus I think it was too much for it to pull, it wasn't until we put the submersible in and pushed the water, that we found the problem. Plus he didn't want to hit any power lines, which I think is why he didn't replace it all the way. I just got done with the electric company, and the lines are marked now, so when he gets home from work he will be able to get it taken care of. Plus the next few days the temps are going to be up alittle above freezing so that should help with the digging. He is trying to do a temporary fix to get us through winter, cause he wants to reconfigure the whole thing this summer. Clean out the cisterns, replaster the walls, run all new line and pipe, plus the hand pump and all that good stuff. :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
**** happens id say your much better prepared than i am ...

to wash cloths counter sink in the kitchen and a old rub pad does the trick (you know that rippled board that you rub your cloths with like in the realy old days) all it takes is some soap , the pad and some water ...

im suprised nobody in the board mentioned it:thumb:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
**** happens id say your much better prepared than i am ...

to wash cloths counter sink in the kitchen and a old rub pad does the trick (you know that rippled board that you rub your cloths with like in the realy old days) all it takes is some soap , the pad and some water ...

im suprised nobody in the board mentioned it:thumb:
oh believe me, don't let them fool you, we all know about the knuckle buster wash board! Ever tried it? Yeah I don't know how they did it, and with Lye soap OMG you rub all the skin off and then hit it with alittle of that, oooohhh baby it burns:eek::D:

·
I have control issues
5,921 Posts
oh believe me, don't let them fool you, we all know about the knuckle buster wash board! Ever tried it? Yeah I don't know how they did it, and with Lye soap OMG you rub all the skin off and then hit it with alittle of that, oooohhh baby it burns:eek::D:
Yeah, I've got one of those washboards...it was my Grandmother's, from back when she HAD to use it. I keep it around for JIC. That, plus some Fels-Naptha soap.

Pamygene, better you find out about the water issues NOW, when it IS fixable, than later on down the road, when the supplies to do the fixing might not be available.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey, Pammygene, you hang in there!! I'm a single woman homesteading all alone in the frosty reaches of NorthEastern Wisconsin. I've had my issues with the water system for years. I'm not off grid, but it seems whenever a wolf trips on a stick in the woods, the power goes off!. I have an old fashioned "pitcher pump" in the garage (not heated) WITHOUT a check valve on it. That way the water drains back into the well without freezing the pipe. I keep a few gallons of water in the house specifically for priming the pump. It's never failed me!! (That's my back-up to the indoor electric pump) I also have 2 ponds and a rainwater collection system, useful only in warm weather, obviously. To do laundry without power, I use one of those plunger-type devices (Emergency Essentials has them) in a sawed off plastic barrel. I use a mop-wringer bucket to squeeze the water out till I get a hand-operated wringer.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL, do I have to have the warts on my face too!! I forget how the saying goes... something, something, toil and trouble.... But yeah I guess I could, I got a big ol wash tub. I got an old ringer washer in the basement too that still works. It came with the house, BONUS!!!:D:
I remember the says to go with the cauldron and washing clothes it's " double, double toil and trouble fire burn and cauldron bubble" It was driving me crazy trying to remember!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
yeah ducttape thanks, The problem is that he didn't run all new pipe, there was a 20-30 foot section that he spliced into that goes into the house that he assumed was still good. NOT, that was why the jet pump wouldn't prime, plus I think it was too much for it to pull, it wasn't until we put the submersible in and pushed the water, that we found the problem. Plus he didn't want to hit any power lines, which I think is why he didn't replace it all the way. I just got done with the electric company, and the lines are marked now, so when he gets home from work he will be able to get it taken care of. Plus the next few days the temps are going to be up alittle above freezing so that should help with the digging. He is trying to do a temporary fix to get us through winter, cause he wants to reconfigure the whole thing this summer. Clean out the cisterns, replaster the walls, run all new line and pipe, plus the hand pump and all that good stuff. :)

In any off grid water system, the first thing to do is install a shutoff valve and a faucet between the pump and the house plumbing. You do this before you even plumb the home. Worse case scenario, you could still carry water in from an outside faucet. Without a shutoff and a faucet, any time you have a leak, you effectively loose all of your water supply. Of course, I guess you know this now. The issue of having no water whatsoever could have been avoided for less than $50. Also, consider chunking the submersible. More trouble than it's worth.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
LOL pammygene, something always happens to make us question our preparedness. I often stop and question it. Two years ago myself and another hunter back packed into a remote region, like we had done many times before. We got back there and guess what? I forgot fire. Not a match, lighter, flint nothing. No worries, my hunting partner had fire. Not. "I figured you brought plenty." Two very expierenced back country hunters, and niether had enough sense to bring fire. I humped 7 miles out to the truck and dug into my emergency kit to get some matches, then 7 miles back in. I was greeted with a warm fire from my idiot buddy who "discovered" a lighter after I had gone.:upsidedown:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts