Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Military MOM
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few years, we have stopped buying Christmas gifts. If we need something, we wait and get it for Christmas. One year, a trip to see our AF son, a pistol for him, Last year, one gift each, something we needed, not just crap to have.
So, we have decided to do it again. I really don't want anyone spending money on me for crap I don't need! I am getting my guard and service dog around the first of the year, so that will be my gift. My hubby and son want weapons stuff, so they can pick that out, otherwise, no more buying :) Thoughts ?
We do volunteer for the military families and contribute to them.

·
Patiently Waiting
6,121 Posts
Oh, I don't think so. There is nothing more sad in the world to wake up and realize your Child doesn't believe in Santa Clause anymore :) I miss those days :(
I taught my children from the earliest age their was no Santa. If I let a little child believe a lie, how can they trust me with the truth?

Besides, I'm not letting some fat dude who doesn't own a car take the credit for my hard work and sacrifice. That's MY money that bought those toys!

·
Barrio Bajo Señor
4,116 Posts
i wont be shopping and havnt for a few years now, i got a christmas present store in house with my hard asset mindset. i plan to give my brothers a couple of knives from my stash, some silver for my property manager.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
IMHO, Christmas has gotten to be beyond ridiculous these days!!!!!!

My daughter lived in a rental trailer that's falling down around their ears, but she would spend $3-4,000 on toys for her 4 kids every year at Christmas. Her mother in law does the same, and she also does not have her own home and works 2 jobs to make ends meet :confused:

Thankfully, my daughter just bought a house on 3.5 acres of land, so I'm hoping it means a move towards being more self-reliant. I've talked until my tongue wagged about prepping to them, but I have no idea if it's doing any good or not :xmad:

Personally, I believe Christmas is just for kids, but not to the extremes it's risen to today. This year, my husband is making home made customized ink pens for his family member (abt $12 each finished). They usually spend about $100 on each one of us, no matter how much I protest. I'd rather have canning jars, socks, or a good informative book :( but I'm guessing I will get <yet another!> spa gift certificate, or geehaws for my house that I neither want nor need.

Ugh... sorry for the rant OP. Christmas drives me batty and it gets started earlier and earlier every year it seems. Folks get killed every year over sales on Black Friday and it's just insane to me :confused:

Congratulations on treating Christmas in a sensible manner :thumb: I hope it's contagious!

·
Hurray For Me & **** You
1,709 Posts
I think the first Christmas morning without your child/children at home is the hardest. My daughter was in basic training last year, and it was not the same. :(

As for gifts, I make most of the gifts that aren't for my step children. Husband buys them tons of useless stuff most years. Like the basketball hoop that hasn't been used more than a dozen times in 3 years. Sigh.

I am buying DH a Desert Eagle for his one and only gift this year. I really and truly don't need anything. Maybe a new winter coat and boots. My Columbia boots finally gave up the ghost after 13 years this past spring.

·
Military MOM
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your daughters service, and your support of her. As a mother, I know how hard it is. It will never get easy, but it will get easier! What a wonderful path she is on in life. I know you are very proud!
I love making gifts, I crochet and sew almost every gift I need to give. I buy yarn and fabric when it is on sale. I think it makes a better gift anyway.
Do you want to know what the first thing my USAF son asked for when he got to his first base? He wanted me to make him a quilt! Not some big expensive anything for his birthday, just a quilt from MOM. He took it around and showed everyone. He sleeps with it all of the time. That is the important things, IMO.

·
Hurray For Me & **** You
1,709 Posts
Thank you for your daughters service, and your support of her. As a mother, I know how hard it is. It will never get easy, but it will get easier! What a wonderful path she is on in life. I know you are very proud!
I love making gifts, I crochet and sew almost every gift I need to give. I buy yarn and fabric when it is on sale. I think it makes a better gift anyway.
Do you want to know what the first thing my USAF son asked for when he got to his first base? He wanted me to make him a quilt! Not some big expensive anything for his birthday, just a quilt from MOM. He took it around and showed everyone. He sleeps with it all of the time. That is the important things, IMO.
And thank you for your son's service, also. And for your sacrifice. You think it's going to get easier with time, and it doesn't seem to, does it?

I am making my daughter a "Cut Out" set.

Took pictures of the house, pets, trees, cars, people, furniture, etc. Mounted them all to cardboard and made little doo-hickies so they stand up. Kind of like paper dolls, but her home and family. I know it's corny, but that's kind of my style :rolleyes:

In-laws and parents will be getting jams and homemade bread in a basket with a hand embroidered dish towel this year.

·
Military MOM
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll never forget the Christmas my Grandfather gave me 5 silver dollars (back when they were real) when I was 5 years old, only to have my cousin steal them from me the next day :(

No wonder I never feel like I have enough silver now :rolleyes:
Oh my gosh! My grandfather gave all of us a silver dollar for Christmas the month before he died. I was 10. I still have it and I have kept my brothers for him. :) I even have an 8mm video of him handing them out to us. He use to have the old camera with no sound. I have all of those tapes. PRICELESS!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had several Christmas's growing up where I didn't get anything other than some socks or a shirt . As a matter of fact from an early age I asked my Grandparents and Parents for clothing or shoes as most of what I owned was pretty crappy . My Wife laughs at how excited I get over a new pair of boots or work pants now and gets grumpy when I tell her I don't want anything for Christmas . Maybe I will ask for an ESEE 6 or a new pistol this year just to hush her up ;)

·
Look Behind You!!
1,586 Posts
The wife and I haven't got presents for each other in years. Christmas is for kids in my mind. It's the time of year that the girls get the second half of their school clothes, just wrapped up under the tree is all. We throw in a couple goodies and they have a good time. We have never spent much on gifts and the girls never asked for much either.

We make a nice Christmas meal Christmas eve. We have always treated it as a time to give things the girls need like shoes, clothes etc. We don't give or receive from other family members either. All we do is get together and have some nice food and conversation and play the same ole board game every year. Very low key in our house for sure and we like like that.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
I miss the magic of Christmas. I miss the excitement of children on Christmas eve and morning. I miss the fun I used to have finding or (more usually) making the 'perfect gift', suited exactly for that recipient at that point in their lives, etc. I miss the fun I had planning the Christmas meals (and executing them). I miss the lights and the joy and the carols and midnight mass (and I am not even Catholic but I used to go to services in Latin at a cathedral or small rural church 'religiously' on Christmas eve - there was a spirit there that I have never found in any other church on any other day of the year).

Yeah, it all sounds romantic, and perhaps it was, and perhaps it was silly too - but, it made me happy to do for others who were special to me, particularly at that time of year. All I have now are memories - and they are still sweet but, I do miss Christmas none the less. Christmas was always for me ... a sort of selfish thing .. I got little from anyone else in terms of concrete gifts and didn't want or need anything ... my fun/joy came from what I did to put smiles on other's faces, even if they didn't care or know.

It was who I am .. I love to plan surprises, I love to cook, I love to make things, I love to do things for the people I love - but they really are all gone now, or those who remain are thousands of miles away and don't care - a cheque will do (ick - that may work for them but for me, it turns the day into an 'obligation' and makes me hate the season now). And, these days, with all the 'entitlement' problems in our society, I am sorry but it is just not the same to go cook at a soup kitchen on Christmas Day any more since I now suspect many of those who show up to eat don't actually HAVE to be there, they just want a 'free meal'. Sad.

·
Learning
1,189 Posts
I taught my children from the earliest age their was no Santa. If I let a little child believe a lie, how can they trust me with the truth?

Besides, I'm not letting some fat dude who doesn't own a car take the credit for my hard work and sacrifice. That's MY money that bought those toys!
I've never understood the tradition. Hey kiddies a magical fat dude is going to squeeze down the chimney tonight and leave presents under the tree. Make sure Daddy... er I mean Santa has cookies and milk. Well, I know we don't have a chimney but fat man has magic reindeer that fly, what? Yes one of flying reindeer has a glow in the dark nose. No they don't have wings, just go to bed Timmy.

We tell our kids to be good or Santa won't bring them any presents. It's like we're trying to offload parenting to an imaginary fat dude.

Teslin mentioned missing the magic of Christmas. That I agree with. Family get togethers, eating too much of Mom's onion surprise dip, throwing the football with the boys, sipping hot cocoa (with a little whiskey if dad brings it). That is magical.

The consumer express beginning after Halloween has destroyed the Christmas spirit. It isn't about iPhones or video games, it's about giving to others and spending time with those who are dear to you.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I remember growing up (and even now) my mom spends about $50-60 on each "kid" for Christmas. We were not dirt poor, but we were not rich either. For birthdays, maybe $20. I get my mom and dad something. Not much, maybe like $20 or so. I usually get them something they can use - not just a trinket that they say, "oh, how thoughtful" and then it spends the rest of its life in a box in the basement. For my siblings I will make them something - a nice jar of home made jam or something similar.

I know many, many families who spend $500+ per child for birthdays. One family I knew, who was struggling to pay their mortgage, spent over $4,000 on their kids presents. It sickened me (and they had the nerve to ask the church to help pay their way to some conference, which would have cost maybe $200).

I usually buy a Christmas present for myself. Last year it was 4 Backwoods Home anthologies. This year it will probably be a good pair of shoes. But I hate the whole spirit of what America has turned Christmas into. As a Christian, I love what it's supposed to stand for (though I don't agree with the pagan beginnings of the holiday, but that's a topic for a different thread). I just hate seeing how materialistic this country has become - and how it's turned a holiday celebrating the birth of Jesus into an orgy of materialism and "me, me, me!"

·
Gone Galt
22,533 Posts
Not a lot of surprises in my house on Christmas morning, but everyone ALWAYS likes their gifts.

...yeah, we all know what the others want.

Im going to get my Nephew a Glock 19 (his choice in sidearm) - he's gonna be surprised on that one.

We will adopt a new kitten. (Lost my faithful assistant last year)

And basically what everyone wants (needs) we get.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts