Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
FlyLeaf Rocks!!
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone here has seen I Am Legend. I thought it was GREAT! There were a lot of elements of survivalism in here and the movie had a lot of action too.

This was based on a book of the same name, and was a remake of two previous movies, "The Last Man on Earth" and "Omega Man". I didn't read the book or see any of the predecessors to I Am Legend, but I still enjoyed the movie to its fullest.

Please post your thoughts on this movie and point out afew of the survivalistic elements that were included in this film.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was let down after seeing I Am Legend because of the OVER-USE of computer generated imagery for the creatures.
It would have been MUCH better if they would have used real actors.
The computer creatures were knocking over cars by running into them,climbing up buildings like spider monkeys,running and jumping like super olympic alethetes.Way too much for me.
Other than that,I liked it.
I liked the Omega Man.Good movie for a early 70's sci-fi.
The book,I Am Legend is a good read too.

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
I enjoyed this movie. And I was shocked to see Will Smith NOT acting like he has done in so many other movies with the over-exaggerated bravado or cockiness. I was afraid I was going to see a Man-In-Black/Independence-Day-Pilot screw up one of my favorite stories. Imagine my surprise when I instead saw a competent actor actually doing a great job with a character I really liked.

My rating using my rating system? I give this movie 5 out of 5 AR-15's. (That weapon was sooooo sweet in the movie.)

·
Banned
880 Posts
i hated it!!! i was so excited to see it and was so let down. and i think the survival side of it was full of errors. how would he have survived a winte in NYC? generators running in the house? and just when it was getting good, it was over just like that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I liked the movie. He was more of an opportunist than a survivalist. Everything that he needed was in plentiful supply around New York - all he had to do was go into a different house and pilfer from their pantry. He did have a few crops and did a bit of hunting, but this seemed to be supplementary to the packaged stuff with which he had stacked his pantry. And, of course, he had fuel galore, along with weapons and ammo, etc...

I reckon it would have been good to see how the people in the little community (at the end of the movie) lived; how they survived in their makeshift fortress area, fighting off zombies by night and truly living off the land by day - becasue they didn't seem to have an endless supply of pantries where they lived.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was honestly dissapointed by the massive plot holes. (I.E. all the discrepencies with the training of his dog, HIS decisions/survival/HUNTING techniques etc.) Interesting concept, but to me...its just another goofy-ass Will Smith movie.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
There is a thread about this somewhere, however personaly I think they could have done a lot more with this film, more daily survival stuff, forraging and hunting etc. JMO

·
Registered
34 Posts
It SUCKED! The Omega Man and The Last man on Earth were better and more realistic! Computer generation of people in this movie made it totally unbelieveable! Real Crackheads could have saved a lot of production money and given some modern day simialrities to this story!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Saw it yesterday and I loved it.
It didn't contain a single shread of realism wich is something I like in a fairytale.
And of course a happy ending.

·
Urban Nature Boy
42 Posts
I read the book first

I read the book (short story) first after I heard the movie was coming out.
I must say that the book was far better. I was hoping the movie would be good since they changed the location from LA to NYC.

The CGI zombie/vamps were not good at all. Please get an actor to do the acting! As far as survivalist stuff... it was there in small bits. Nothing great.

Do yourselves a favor and read the book! It's very cool!! One of the best modern-day vampire stories.

·
Firearm Enthusiast
864 Posts
I've read I am Legend and I have seen all three movies based off of the book; I like 'em all.

I like The Last Man on Earth because it is the most similar to the book, I like the Omega Man because Heston goes around killing zombies with all kinds of kickass weaponry, and I like I am Legend because Will Smith has a killer M4.

·
Registered
199 Posts
the movie is a movie and it does an excellent job of being such

if you want realism i wouldnt expect to much from a movie in which zombie/vampire creatures who can run incredibly fast and jump long distances cant defeat one man with an M4 in 3 years

and of course who would watch it without a happy ending

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
That was 2 hours of my life wasted, another crappy movie,among all the other crappy movies spewed out by Hollywood these days. Here's an idea hollywood , NO MORE ,dumbazz diehard movies, no more tom cruise movies,no more robert deniro movies, MOVE ON , get some fresh actors and some decent writers.

·
Registered
859 Posts
ok film but he could of done so much better.
Keeping his main supply of weapons next to the obviou sbreaching point.
Putting the delicate lights infront of bullet proof glass instead of behind and not putting one of his many generators there. etc etc

·
Registered
199 Posts
ok film but he could of done so much better.
Keeping his main supply of weapons next to the obviou sbreaching point.
Putting the delicate lights infront of bullet proof glass instead of behind and not putting one of his many generators there. etc etc

yer but if he done everything the good and safe way, well the movie would be less interesting...i mean who wants to see a movie in whick the mutants got to 100m from the house and are all fried by the UV lights, then he just walks of...what fun is that...

its much more entertaining to the general poulation who just see a movie to see stuff explode, to see them take out the lights, get through the car explosives and chase robert down to his basement

·
Registered
859 Posts
yer but if he done everything the good and safe way, well the movie would be less interesting...i mean who wants to see a movie in whick the mutants got to 100m from the house and are all fried by the UV lights, then he just walks of...what fun is that...

its much more entertaining to the general poulation who just see a movie to see stuff explode, to see them take out the lights, get through the car explosives and chase robert down to his basement
True but I just think when obvious things arent done it detracts from the quality of the plot line a bit.

Slight doomsday spoiler follows

I watched doomsday and when they roast the guy alive I was actually complaining that they wasted good meat by burning the oustide and possibly caused more spoilage by not removing the innards.

·
Registered
199 Posts
True but I just hink when obvious things arent done it detracts from the quality of the plot line a bit.

Slight doomsday spoiler follows

I watched doomsday and when they roast the guy alive I was actually complaining that they wasted good meat by burning the oustide and possibly caused more spoilage by not removing the innards.
lol i have to say that film is very unrealistic as well but it has a good concept...its true but i think it was a more spitual cannabalism as they could easily eat the cows that are a few miles out of the city, so it not as if they needed the whole soldier carcass

im suprised people havnt mentioned APCs much in the Veichle section on this websit,after watching the film it would be a prime choice for a BOV if you had one

1 - 20 of 29 Posts