Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Squared away like a donut
475 Posts
I know what you just said, but I have not gotten it yet. My wife is a nurse however and she has had both doses of the Moderna version. She along with about half of her co-workers got fairly sick the day after the 2nd shot, but all were fine the day after that. So basically they were sick for a day, which I’m sure is much better than sick for 2-3 weeks and/or on a ventilator. I will most likely be getting the vaccine as well, I have just been procrastinating. Anyway, good luck to you, I hope you're one of the lucky ones who doesn’t get the 24 hour COVID

·
Dirt Dweller
466 Posts
There are 2 different vacines being distributed right now. Moderna and Pfizer. Both 2 step vaccines. I recently had my first of the Moderna and felt nothing out of the ordinary. Same with my wife. Now with 40mm plus vaccines given and its growing by 2 or 3mm per day there is bound to be some bad reactions. In the 1950’s my father almost died with his first dose of the new wonder drug, penicillin. He had an allergic reaction to it. It doesn’t mean it as a bad drug. However we each have to weigh the pros and cons and do what’s right for ourselves.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
From @JayAreBee in another thread quoted at bottom.

The Benadryl makes sense to mitigate an allergic reaction

The Pepcid AC did not make sense at first glance but there is this

"A common heartburn drug being tested by a group of New York hospitals may show promise in treating the COVID-19 virus, according to a story from ABC News.
The hospitals, which have only just made the study public, have been testing the effectiveness of famotidine, the active ingredient in over-the-counter heartburn medications like Pepcid AC.....
How did they decide on famotidine?
Michael Callahan, an infectious disease physician based at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, was in China when the COVID-19 outbreak happened, according to Science Magazine.
As Callahan, along with Chinese doctors, was studying medical histories of patients infected with the virus, they noticed that many survivors had been taking heartburn medication prior to becoming ill with COVID-19."

I think I would substitute asprin for the ibuprofen

"My pharmacy is advising people to do the following:
About 1 hour before you have your 2nd COVID vaccine, take:
1 Benadryl
1 Pepcid AC
2 Ibuprofen
About 4 hours after you took the first dose of the above, (about 3 hours after the vaccine,) take a second dose of everything.
NOTE: The Benadryl might make you sleepy."
@JayAreBee

t

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
From @JayAreBee in another thread quoted at bottom.

The Benadryl makes sense to mitigate an allergic reaction

The Pepcid AC did not make sense at first glance but there is this

"A common heartburn drug being tested by a group of New York hospitals may show promise in treating the COVID-19 virus, according to a story from ABC News.
The hospitals, which have only just made the study public, have been testing the effectiveness of famotidine, the active ingredient in over-the-counter heartburn medications like Pepcid AC.....
How did they decide on famotidine?
Michael Callahan, an infectious disease physician based at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, was in China when the COVID-19 outbreak happened, according to Science Magazine.
As Callahan, along with Chinese doctors, was studying medical histories of patients infected with the virus, they noticed that many survivors had been taking heartburn medication prior to becoming ill with COVID-19."

I think I would substitute asprin for the ibuprofen

"My pharmacy is advising people to do the following:
About 1 hour before you have your 2nd COVID vaccine, take:
1 Benadryl
1 Pepcid AC
2 Ibuprofen
About 4 hours after you took the first dose of the above, (about 3 hours after the vaccine,) take a second dose of everything.
NOTE: The Benadryl might make you sleepy."
@JayAreBee

t
Benadryl is an H1and pepcid is an H2 Blocker. If someone is having an allergic reaction (not life threatening think yellow fly bite), give H1, H2, and Steroids.

It seems one would be trying to REDUCE the immune response with this cocktail....

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,041 Posts
I have had my first shot of Phizer. The second in another week. I did have a lot of arm pain after the injection . I took an ibuprophan some hours later. That may not be recommended depending upon who you ask. Phizer says ask your Dr. So of course, as usual I asked myself and took one. In retrospect I would not.

The contradiction to taking something like ibuprophan or antihistamines when you get a vaccine is that it inhibits the natural response that the vaccine is supposed to trigger and train.

It's like sending a bus out to pick up the high school track team when they are halfway through their run. Why would you do that?

This vaccine may end up being a waste if the virus has mutated. I am expecting to have to take a booster some months ahead.

I have had pneumonia once years ago and was probably near death. You don't want to be there. Get vaccinated, wear masks, avoid crowds.

This is not a fire drill.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
909 Posts
As far as I am aware they are still not offering it to the general public near where I live. Just health care workers and the elderly and such. I will probably get it when I can, but I am not sure when that will be.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I had my first shot Monday (Moderna) no reaction other than unusually sleepy yesterday and ended up taking at least two naps and slept late today. I feel great today but several people I know who've had the second shot say they had 'moderate' reactions. I suppose I'll find out for myself in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Waitlist people called today, set up appointment for saturday. Checked for qualifying age, no other vaccines for past 2 weeks and after, insurance coverage. Have to stick around for 15 minutes after for observation. Sounds like they are using a house next to hospital that normally is used for administration. Its right in a parking lot, surprised they're not using it and cellphones more.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Initially I was against getting the vaccine due to already having Covid twice... Then we were offered them at work, and as I come in to contact with at least 1-2 KNOWN positives per shift, I decided to take it.
Right now, if we are positive or a family member is, we’re off paid until we test negative. They basically have looked at it as if you test positive, it probably happened at work, so you’re covered.
But, before the vaccine was available, the question came up that if we refused to get the vaccine, caught covid and died, would our dependent(s) receive our work provided life insurance. There wasn’t an answer to that prior to the deadline for the first shot. I decided to take the chance to be “safe”.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I got my first Moderna shot at the end of January and (hopefully) I'm going next week for the other one. I was a little tired like others have said and my shoulder hurt pretty bad... kinda' like when my big brother used to punch me as a kid 40 years ago.

ETA: My pharmacist had me take Ibuprofen, Tylenol and Benadryl a couple hours before I came.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't want the Moderna or Pfizer mRNA vaccines, but I'd take the Novavax if it gets approved for the US, a little longer track record for the tech. If only J&J hadn't use abortive tissue cell lines in production I'd probably consider that one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't want the Moderna or Pfizer mRNA vaccines, but I'd take the Novavax if it gets approved for the US, a little longer track record for the tech. If only J&J hadn't use abortive tissue cell lines in production I'd probably consider that one.
I have had both the first and second Moderma injections at my local V.A. medical center and have had no problems at all,

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,041 Posts
Second Phizer today for both of us. Still alive. Very efficient process.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JustQ

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Since I'm on an early phase approval as a first responder, I was able to get the first shot of Moderna early last week. Shots don't bother me, but this one had my arm sore for about a week. The initial shot was fine, but by evening I felt a bit sore and as I said, about a week of remaining somewhat sore. Other than that, no issues. I didn't even think to do it at the time, but maybe I should have used an ice pack for a bit, but it wasn't quite that bad really; just annoying.

Scheduled to get the next one mid-March.

·
Dirt Dweller
466 Posts
Which one, Pfizer or Moderna? I’m reading Moderna has more potential for problems. Ill have my second Moderna in a few weeks. So far so good.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts