Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fortunately my family is even more country than I am and at least equally prepared but a coworker was talking about his family doing to his house. So what would you say about taking in family in this situation. Your sibling, their spouse and young kids like in a bigger city with a coronavirus outbreak. Rumor is the city will be quarantined soon. They decide to send the wife and kids to your house to ride it out while dad stays there. Good news is they have been indoors with no outside contact for long enough not to have it. The bad news is they have to leave very quickly and can only take what the can fit in their vehicle.

Your preps don't include their extra mouths to feed but they could stop and shop along the way (even buy a car rooftop luggage carrier for extra room). What do you tell them to bring?

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,288 Posts
Fortunately my family is even more country than I am and at least equally prepared but a coworker was talking about his family doing to his house. So what would you say about taking in family in this situation. Your sibling, their spouse and young kids like in a bigger city with a coronavirus outbreak. Rumor is the city will be quarantined soon. They decide to send the wife and kids to your house to ride it out while dad stays there. Good news is they have been indoors with no outside contact for long enough not to have it. The bad news is they have to leave very quickly and can only take what the can fit in their vehicle.

Your preps don't include their extra mouths to feed but they could stop and shop along the way (even buy a car rooftop luggage carrier for extra room). What do you tell them to bring?
So......question. Are we thinking a "Bug'out lasting two years or three years.....??? I ask because that would be a fair amount of food for three years. And would it be OK if the children brought their friends also to live there.......???

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Our food supply can last two or more years, if the daughter and grand daughter show up.
They both live in the city. and when we get notification, it may be too late for them to show up here. Once the doors are sealed, they will not be opened

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So......question. Are we thinking a "Bug'out lasting two years or three years.....??? I ask because that would be a fair amount of food for three years. And would it be OK if the children brought their friends also to live there.......???
I assumed the responses would answer their own possible questions of the scenario. When he mentioned the prospect of his extended family going to his house the unknown duration created a lot of questions.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
My life raft is big enough for what family I have.

The problem is, my family in the city is so philosophically different from me they:

A, wouldn't come.

B, if they did, it would be to take over and kick me out of my own life raft even if there was room for us all.

I would go on a rescue mission in full hazmat gear to get their kid if the parents died first.

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
I can give you a nonhypothetical:

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=938412

I spent my day building a raised bed to get my small utility trailer empty to use to haul water, and getting the "campsites" ready for my "guests in quarantine"

not the same as your question as food after a month is already here.
But your question makes it easy:
Anything they want to eat for the next 3+ months.

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
I would tell them to bring pillows and blankets. I would say to leave most of the food for the guy staying in the city.

And I would remind them that they would all be expected to work hard in the garden, as with so many extra mouths to feed I will need to plant as much of my yard as possible. And, I have a very big yard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts