Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Famous Big Short Investor Michael Burry Warns Weimar-Like Hyperinflation Is Coming To America
Dr. Michael J. Burry, the hedge fund manager who made hundreds of millions of dollars betting the U.S. housing market would crash and helped inspire the best-selling book, “The Big Short,” predicts Weimar-like hyperinflation in the U.S.

Burry, who runs Scion Asset Management, tweeted over the weekend that he fears prices will go up, citing skyrocketing supply-chain costs and U.S. retail sales, which increased 5.3 percent in January thanks to stimulus checks boosting the economy and trillions more planned.

“The US government is inviting inflation,” Burry tweeted.
With all the trillions the govt is recklessly throwing around, hyperinflation is very likely. Slowly at first then - avalanche.

If you're living on a fixed income like a pension, get ready to suffer. That $3000 a month you get today will cover a truck payment, rent, insurance, two dozen meals, and your electric bill. In a few years it may not even buy you a tank of gas.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Famous Big Short Investor Michael Burry Warns Weimar-Like Hyperinflation Is Coming To America

With all the trillions the govt is recklessly throwing around, hyperinflation is very likely. Slowly at first then - avalanche.

If you're living on a fixed income like a pension, get ready to suffer. That $3000 a month you get today will cover a truck payment, rent, insurance, two dozen meals, and your electric bill. In a few years it may not even buy you a tank of gas.
if prices quadrupled would that be considered hyperinflation or is it wheel barrow of cash only

·
I'M READY!!
4,239 Posts
China owns plenty of North American debt and plenty real estate too. Get ready for a Chinese Yuan based one world digital currency. Or not. Im likely wrong....I hope.

·
Dog
413 Posts
China owns plenty of North American debt and plenty real estate too. Get ready for a Chinese Yuan based one world digital currency. Or not. Im likely wrong....I hope.
I think the Chinese have shown a lot of interest in an alternative reserve currency. Russia too. Even the EU doesn’t like the petrodollar. As alternative energy sources reduce the roll of oil in the economy the need for petrodollars will be reduced. It’s already started.

I think we have to be honest with ourselves and admit that we take advantage of our unique position. We routinely export the consequences of deficit spending. A lot of powerful folks stay up late trying to figure out ways to change this.

With all this dislike and add blockchain currencies I think we will lose our privileged position eventually but I think the US will fight back against stuff like Bitcoin.

Bitcoin, because of the way it works is a challenge to all central banks but is a death sentence to our dollar and continued deficit spending. As it is Bitcoin isn’t a store of value like gold because of its volatility. But, if price ever stabilizes I would expect the US to take action against “unregulated” blockchain currencies.

I don’t believe that hyperinflation is a threat for now. The central banks, including the Fed are very afraid of that and would take action. Sure they will let inflation get to 2 or 3 maybe even 5% but if things start to go sideways I would expect dramatic dramatic interest rate increases which would crush any inflation along with a lot of jobs.

They did it before with Greenspan and Regan.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
not going to happen anytime in the next few decades.

And comparing USA to Weimar is disingenous. Completely different atmospheres.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
when the time comes i will just take what i need no matter
not going to happen anytime in the next few decades.

And comparing USA to Weimar is disingenous. Completely different atmospheres.
That's quite a lot of confidence. Michael Burry and Mike Maloney would both differ in your opinion. Michael Burry will probably make billions shorting the market and going long cryptos and Mike Maloney is sitting on a mountain of Gold and Silver, so he's going to be fine.

What's your strategy?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I don’t know we are all ready at more then 5% inflation .
A quarter pounder with cheese meal at Micky Deeees is 11 and Change now
I couldn’t do it, just could not do it
Beer is way up , booze 🍸 is up , forget about food . My wife sends me to the store for dinner and I don’t come back with any thing . Building material .
I don’t know about hyper but it’s getting Expensive to live

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
What's your strategy?
don't panic
always have a towel

and I don't care who they are. If they don't address the all the tools available -- right/wrong, ethical or not -- that the US Gov and FedBank have available to them, then they don't know what they're talking about.

these guys are pawns to TPTB, just like we are. The system will not collapse until TPTB want it to.

·
Dog
413 Posts
That's quite a lot of confidence. Michael Burry and Mike Maloney would both differ in your opinion. Michael Burry will probably make billions shorting the market and going long cryptos and Mike Maloney is sitting on a mountain of Gold and Silver, so he's going to be fine.

What's your strategy?
I don’t know about others but I’ve built a portfolio that can hopefully withstand some bumps.

I can find rich experts to say almost anything and everything. Your two experts have a conflict with your thesis. in your words they sit on Bitcoin , gold and silver. I wonder how much they stand to make for each person they convince they are about to be hit with hyperinflation?

Hang on let me buy some gold.... Okay got a bunch. now I’ll say it! doom is coming buying gold is your only hope!

See the problem?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I don’t know about others but I’ve built a portfolio that can hopefully withstand some bumps.

I can find rich experts to say almost anything and everything. Your two experts have a conflict with your thesis. in your words they sit on Bitcoin , gold and silver. I wonder how much they stand to make for each person they convince they are about to be hit with hyperinflation?

Hang on let me buy some gold.... Okay got a bunch. now I’ll say it! doom is coming buying gold is your only hope!

See the problem?
This ^

My problem is that I keep hearing all this every few days for the past decade+. If 2008 didn't sink us, nothing going on today will.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I here ya , I have to time it just rite , I have to eat and be less then 30 minutes from home or I need a pit stop .
The kids like it for a treat heading up to or coming home from the cabin .
They get the 3$ bundle Burger and fries .
I popped for the 6 bucks for them , pepperoni pizza is 4 bucks a slice ? And they are half the sizenow .
Stake @ 8 bucks a pound I have a lot of mouths to feed 40 bucks for meat last night ? Some of the kids just got to chew the bone
I don’t think this is going to end well

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
don't panic
always have a towel

and I don't care who they are. If they don't address the all the tools available -- right/wrong, ethical or not -- that the US Gov and FedBank have available to them, then they don't know what they're talking about.

these guys are pawns to TPTB, just like we are. The system will not collapse until TPTB want it to.
Even Rome eventually fell, but it wasn't because they wanted it to, it was because their money was so debased that the military stopped enforcing the will of the ruling class.

The US dollar is on the way out. How it happens is a matter of conjecture.

Most agree that we will have a period of deflation followed by hyperinflation.

During the deflation period, real goods and services will become cheaper. Powell is printing money like mad to slow this down, which is why we have some inflation.

But it isn't a precise science and the quantities released and velocities involved are not that controllable. This is why Maloney and Burry both agree that hyperinflation is most probable in the coming few years.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
This ^

My problem is that I keep hearing all this every few days for the past decade+. If 2008 didn't sink us, nothing going on today will.
2008 is when this all started, it ends with a new currency issued, and the USD is phased out.

They already have the replacement ready. Goldman Sachs and Chase bank developed it and its a digital blockchain dollar modeled after bitcoin.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts