Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this in an email today from a family member. I have not evaluated any of the information. As with anything medical, you should use caution.

With the low price of hydrogen peroxide, it would be a good item to keep in your supplies. I bought it for 75 cents a bottle.

'I would like to tell you of the benefits of that plain little old bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide you can get for under $1.00 at any drug store. My husband has been in the medical field for over 36 years, and most doctors don't tell you about hydrogen peroxide… or they would lose thousands of dollars.'

1. Take one capful (the little white cap that comes with the bottle) and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out. (I do it as I bathe or shower.) No more canker sores, and your teeth will be whiter without expensive pastes. Use it instead of mouthwash. (Small print says ‘mouthwash’ and ‘gargle’ right on the bottle.)

2. Let your toothbrushes soak in a cup of hydrogen peroxide to keep them free of germs.

3. Clean your counters and table tops with hydrogen peroxide to kill germs and leave a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dishrag when you wipe, or spray it on the counters.

4. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour hydrogen peroxide on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria.

5. I had fungus on my feet for years - until I sprayed a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water on them (especially the toes) every night and let dry.

6. Soak any infections or cuts in 3% hydrogen peroxide for 5-10 minutes several times a day. My husband has seen gangrene that would not heal with any medicine but was healed by soaking in hydrogen peroxide.

7. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming your septic system like bleach or most other disinfectants will.

8. Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your 50/50 mixture whenever you have a cold or plugged sinuses. It will bubble and help to kill the bacteria. Hold for a few minutes then blow your nose into a tissue.

9. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% hydrogen peroxide into your mouth and hold it for 10 minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.

10. And of course, if you like a natural look to your hair, spray the 50/50 solution on your wet hair after a shower and comb it through. You will not have the peroxide burnt blonde hair like the hair dye packages, but more natural highlights if your hair is a light brown, reddish, or dirty blonde. It also lightens gradually so it's not a drastic change.

11. Put half a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in your bath to help rid boils, fungus, or other skin infections.

12. You can also add a cup of hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach to a load of whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there is blood on clothing, pour directly on the soiled spot. Let it sit for a minute, then rub it and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.

13. I use hydrogen peroxide to clean my mirrors, and there is no smearing which is why I love it so much for this.

I could go on and on. It is a little brown bottle no home should be without! With prices of most necessities rising, I'm glad there's a way to save tons of money in such a simple, healthy manner.

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide has many uses indeed. I don't really know if all the advices are good, for example the use as mouthwater, I'm not so sure about. But it is good stuff to clean with, and to kill bacteria. Advice #2 is a good one. Hydrogen peroxide kills bacteria without byproducts.

I have one comment. Instead of stocking up bottles of 3%, just stock up one bottle of 30%. Don't forget to mix one part of it with 9 parts of water, to dilute it to 3% (by god please don't forget it, cause the 30% is strong stuff)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide has many uses indeed. I don't really know if all the advices are good, for example the use as mouthwater, I'm not so sure about.
Mouthwash and cleaning minor cuts is all I use it for. Although I'm sure many of the other listed applications are good as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know #12 is true. I've used it on some of the nastiest boys socks (soccer!) with great results.

And... it's great poured straight up on blood stains. It's an old nursing trick for keeping their whites, white when blood splatters. Those uniforms are expensive!

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's good stuff, but maybe not the ideal disinfectant in a survivalist situation. It can't be stored for prolonged periods without losing its strength.

·
FMJ trigger job
103 Posts
A military Doc had me gargle with it when I had mono 20 yrs ago it really helps with sore throats. It is also used by bow hunters to control bad breath and not have to worry about mouth wash medacine smell.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was wondering about using it as mouthwash. I guess I'll have to try that tonight.

In addition that was an item I forgot to stock up on till next time I go out.

·
Banned
653 Posts
H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) degrades rather rapidly to H2O and O2, if you want something that can be stored and will retain its potency as an external germicide get providine Iodine Solution.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Combining Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar makes a really useful disinfectant/ cleaner that might be valuable in case of pandemic
illness. A brief version of an article is:-------------------------

Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar as disinfectants.

Use three percent hydrogen peroxide, (regularly available at drug stores) and plain white or apple cider vinegar. Use regular hand sprayers, (like you use to dampen laundry before ironing). Fill one sprayer with vinegar and one with peroxide.

For cleaning vegetables or fruit, just coat them well with the vinegar and then the peroxide, and then rinse them off under running water. It doesn't matter which you use first. You won't get any lingering taste of vinegar or peroxide, and neither is toxic if a small amount happens to remain on the produce. For best results, use one mist right after the other - it is 10 times more effective than using either spray by itself and more effective than mixing the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in one sprayer.

The combined sprays work very well in sanitizing counters and other surfaces. Clinical tests have shown this spray combination to be more effective at killing harmful bacteria than chlorine bleach or any commercially available kitchen cleaner.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's also good for cleaning the inner ear and earaches. I pour a capful once a week in my ears when taking a shower one at a time and wait for the bubbling to stop. For children you can have them lay down on their side then rinse when done.

·
Getting Older
1,233 Posts
It's also good for cleaning the inner ear and earaches. I pour a capful once a week in my ears when taking a shower one at a time and wait for the bubbling to stop. For children you can have them lay down on their side then rinse when done.
I've always been told that the boiling action of the peroxide could be harmful to your inner ear. I'm not if it is true, though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked on the bottles that I purchased the the Dollar General Store, and they did not have a expiration date on them. I would think that they would last at least a year.

I would do the standard store of the bottles. Cool dark place. Of course, rotate your stocks. I use a numbering system for mine.

I found it at the Dollar General Store for $.75 a bottle. At that price I put 10 bottles in my preps. I have already used a few in experimenting, and I will be replacing a adding to my preps on payday. I'll post the results soon on mine findings.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
My wife pored some in hear ear a few months back, because she thought she remembered her mother doing this to her when she was younger. Big mistake, her ear hurt really bad. We called the nurses hot line and they advised her to never poor it in an ear because it could cause hearing damage. Turns out, her Mom never had pored it into her ear.

·
Shooter
429 Posts
My wife pored some in hear ear a few months back, because she thought she remembered her mother doing this to her when she was younger. Big mistake, her ear hurt really bad. We called the nurses hot line and they advised her to never poor it in an ear because it could cause hearing damage. Turns out, her Mom never had pored it into her ear.
AAAAAAAHHHHH, nononoononnono. I can see dipping a Q-tip in some and THEN cleaning your ear, but not pouring it right into your ear! Thats not to good.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you ever get a puncture wound, especially around cattle, clean the wound with hydrogen peroxide to prevent tetanus.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Here's what I found about shelf life. This is kind of an ad for Rite-Aid but still has some good info.

"The average shelf life of a bottle is about a year but once you open it and use it, the potency decreases slightly. That’s not to say that it will be any less effective in cleaning out wounds or for gargling – but it does lose its potency over time so its important to check the expiration date and if possible replace a bottle sixty days after its been open so you’ll get the best results. "

http://www.epinions.com/review/Rite_Aid_Hydrogen_Peroxide_Solution/content_122796609156

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a friend whose pediatrician had told her to pour it in her kids' ears to clean them. So, I asked one of my grandma's home health nurses about it, and she said "No", don't ever pour it in your ears. So....I don't know....two different health professionals, two different answers.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
1. Take one capful (the little white cap that comes with the bottle) and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out. (I do it as I bathe or shower.) No more canker sores, and your teeth will be whiter without expensive pastes. Use it instead of mouthwash. (Small print says ‘mouthwash’ and ‘gargle’ right on the bottle.)

2. Let your toothbrushes soak in a cup of hydrogen peroxide to keep them free of germs.
Combine these two and pour Hydrogen Peroxide on your tooth brush to brush your teeth.

3. Clean your counters and table tops with hydrogen peroxide to kill germs and leave a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dishrag when you wipe, or spray it on the counters.

4. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour hydrogen peroxide on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria.
I haven't tried this, but I see no reason why its not true.

5. I had fungus on my feet for years - until I sprayed a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water on them (especially the toes) every night and let dry.

6. Soak any infections or cuts in 3% hydrogen peroxide for 5-10 minutes several times a day. My husband has seen gangrene that would not heal with any medicine but was healed by soaking in hydrogen peroxide.
I can vouch for using Hydrogen Peroxide on cuts and wounds. One doctor had me pour the hydrogen peroxide onto a wound he had stitched up as a part of my daily cleaning routine.

7. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming your septic system like bleach or most other disinfectants will.
I don't know about this one.

8. Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your 50/50 mixture whenever you have a cold or plugged sinuses. It will bubble and help to kill the bacteria. Hold for a few minutes then blow your nose into a tissue.
I have done this, but at less than a 50/50 mixture. It will clear your sinus', and it does help with minor nasal infections. But start less than the 50/50 mixture to make sure your sinus' can tolerate it.

9. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% hydrogen peroxide into your mouth and hold it for 10 minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.

10. And of course, if you like a natural look to your hair, spray the 50/50 solution on your wet hair after a shower and comb it through. You will not have the peroxide burnt blonde hair like the hair dye packages, but more natural highlights if your hair is a light brown, reddish, or dirty blonde. It also lightens gradually so it's not a drastic change.

11. Put half a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in your bath to help rid boils, fungus, or other skin infections.

12. You can also add a cup of hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach to a load of whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there is blood on clothing, pour directly on the soiled spot. Let it sit for a minute, then rub it and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.

13. I use hydrogen peroxide to clean my mirrors, and there is no smearing which is why I love it so much for this.
Don't know about these.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts