Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread. What is everyone doing to prepare and fortify your house?

I still need to trim the tree that grows near my living room windows.

Just tested out the generator and stocked up on some supplies.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Had some trees taken down last year; turned out one was pretty badly damaged by Katrina but you couldn't see the damage from the ground. I need a new roof, but will wait till fall just in case.

·
Liberty or Death!
679 Posts
Yup, I'm only a couple miles from the coast around 1 mile to the bay near the house but we're 45 feet above sea level so not to worried about flooding too much. I've been prepping since I got here in Florida so we're good to go. Gonna get another 5 gallon can of gas just in case. We have mandatory evac's though here on base so it's not like we'll stick it out or anything. I'm more worried about the evac route, it can take hours to get 30 miles north of here so I'm working on alternate route's that may be longer but faster to get out of town.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
I was doing soooo well not thinking about this. When one is coming up our way , you can't believe how bad my nerves get now....

Anyway.....

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I was doing soooo well not thinking about this. When one is coming up our way , you can't believe how bad my nerves get now....
Yeah, actually I CAN believe! Funny story - when Gustav or one of the more recent ones was coming, a cousin two states north invited us to come up there -- we declined, the storm missed us and hit him! Tore up his farm pretty bad, including taking down some 100-year old trees.
Anyway, most of the people around here are jumpy and nervous in any kind of bad storm since K, so you have lots of company!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
90% of survival preparedness could be accomplished by simply multiplying a hurricane kit times ten. I'm just thankful to have more warning for hurricanes than people do for tornadoes. I have an old fashioned weather gauge just in case the grid ever goes down, it may end up being be the most important hurricane bar around. Lowest air pressure ever recorded: 25.63"; in the eye of Typhoon Tip over the Pacific Ocean (October 12, 1979) Highest air pressure ever recorded: 32.06"; at Tosontsengel, Mongolia (December 19, 2001)

·
Apocaloptimist
2,708 Posts
For this Hurricane season, I did something a little different to prepare. I moved 200 or so miles inland!! Houston really sucked during evacs. No more boarding windows, evacuation clogs, or clean-up for me.:D:

·
High-Strung
840 Posts
We moved into our house last June. We almost immediately cut down one tree that was hanging over our house. I would have loved to have a patio cover over our back patio, but the money just isn't there right now.

I would also love to have the gas saved up, but once again that money always seems to have to go elsewhere.

Other than that, I do have a lot of batteries, flashlights, lanterns, fans, food, lantern fuel and other supplies.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
My BIL and SIL who live just west Of Hilton Head had those roll down steel shutters installed on their house last year. all except the one facing the road (one picture window and one regular one. for those they had anchors installed and have steel panel that they can put up with wingnuts. They say that a morethan afew in the subdivision have done similar upgrades.

I forgot, Prayers are with you all that nothing happens we have had enough bad thing happen already this year.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Time to get the chain saw serviced, need to pull the generator out and make sure its going to run, maybe rotate some of my fuel stockpile, grab a few more 1 pound propane bottles, refuel a 20 pound propane tank.

Its also time to review homeowners insurance to make sure everything is covered.

·
Leave Me Alone !
907 Posts
Yeah, Governor Jindal declared this weekend as the SALES TAX FREE weekend for purchasing Hurricane Supplies. You can buy anything that may be Hurricane related, from Ice Chests, to Lanterns and Batteries, even chainsaws without the sales tax. I may have to go shopping.

·
New Prepper
221 Posts
I am better prepared this year than ever in the past due to being on this forum! I always prepare, but am in much better shape this year. The propane tanks are filled, we have tons of food, we're working on eating our way through our frozen food - can't keep alot during hurricane season. But the most important thing - we now have a beautiful Winnebago in case we have to leave. However, we live in the middle of the state, so we normally don't have to evacuate. The Winnie will come in handy though if we lose power for several days. YAY!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts