Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
11,006 Posts
The 2 behind Florence may blow out and miss us, maybe not. I was in Harbor Freight picking up a few preps on Sunday, so were others in line. Local supermarket was smart, had butane lighters, candles and flashlights on display. Ace Hardware had something similar items front and center.

I picked up some things for my girlfriend to stash if she got stranded at her place. If the path of anything deviates and heads north to NY, I'll be filling up the cars and spare gas cans. I got a bunch of gas grille-friendly food to cook and the makings for soup and chili. I'm set with propane.

17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 2 behind Florence may blow out and miss us, maybe not. I was in Harbor Freight picking up a few preps on Sunday, so were others in line. Local supermarket was smart, had butane lighters, candles and flashlights on display. Ace Hardware had something similar items front and center.

I picked up some things for my girlfriend to stash if she got stranded at her place. If the path of anything deviates and heads north to NY, I'll be filling up the cars and spare gas cans. I got a bunch of gas grille-friendly food to cook and the makings for soup and chili. I'm set with propane.
I filled my cars and a 5 gallon gasoline safety can yesterday. That is all I had to do.

Though I still might open some ammo cans and fill a few magazines.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
My folks were just on a long overdue vacation. They visited with some family up in Alaska, took a cruise, then came down to visit us.

They flew back to South Carolina yesterday, coastal (Georgetown County), but they are set back from the coast about a mile and about 30’ up. We’d been watching the alerts in this one since late last week. At the current track, it looks like they will feel the lee side of this one.

They’re at the ready to head to visit family in Georgia if needs be by Wednesday. Else they’ll stay. Fingers crossed for all, wherever it may make land fall.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
I don't have much to do to prep. My supplies are topped off. I'm just getting set up to monitor emergency radio nets in case we are impacted. Florence looks to head into NC/SC area so most we would see from this one is remnants dumping rain over already very wet land.

·
Lux in Tenebris
7,463 Posts
Same here in Charlotte....

I have most everything i need here, gonna bring trailer w genset n gas, misc. kit from storage unit and park in driveway...

we're most likely gonna get major rain, that should be it...

otherwise, i am all set....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Live in the Charlotte area and I am hoping that we just get a quick rain. I am worried about our half basement but will have to wait it out and see what happens. The Walmart I went to located in the University area of Charlotte was busy. Stay safe everyone!

·
Jackpine Savage
6,126 Posts
My brother lives in a little town in NC called Mayodan. He is well to the west of the coast and up near Virginia. I still worry about him though because these things push onto land and he ends up with severe thunder storms and tornados from what he has told me.

Well I worry more for my niece and nephew. I had to go down there and help him out when he was in a jam over the winter and I was shocked. FEMA always says to keep three days of food on hand and I was always like "who don't have three days of food in the house?" He don't. Goes to Wal-Mart every single day. We weren't raised like that. We were poor so if you bought in bulk as much as you could giving you a bit of leeway by having extra and saving money in the long run. If you got extra money you bought extra food because you knew there would be a lean time ahead.

Completely shocked me the only canned goods he had was some stuff the school sends home with the kids because they are low income. Those they just saved up and sent to a food pantry or threw away when there were enough to be in the way.

It really concerns me that he probably isn't the only person that lives like this. You're IQ shouldn't have to be very high to know that you should keep food in your house and if you have kids you NEED to keep food in the house.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Live in the Charlotte area and I am hoping that we just get a quick rain. I am worried about our half basement but will have to wait it out and see what happens. The Walmart I went to located in the University area of Charlotte was busy. Stay safe everyone!
It's still not too late to get prepared.

If you're worried your basement might flood a generator and a sump pump could save you lots of problems.

Some of the forecast models are saying it could stall over NC and sit for days.

Look the possible storm tracks and you will see you are in many of them.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gonna need to pick up a couple handles of whiskey before the ABC stores shut down. Other than that...good to go:)

·
surviving...
98 Posts
Hurricane Florence Preparation

We have been watching from south-central VA. Started working through our severe weather checklist on Saturday. Topped off the prep supplies early. A few more items around the house to pick-up/put-away/tie-down over the next couple of days. Just waiting to see if she stays on track, or makes a turn. A lot depends of the high-pressure ridge coming out the Great Lakes later this week. A stalled system could mean a lot of rain. It has already been a very wet summer. With the trees still in full foliage, any significant winds could mean downed trees. Just spent the afternoon trimming willows next to the power line. If she doesn't come to visit, nothing lost. If she does, we'll be ready.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Watching Flo here in Orlando and hoping it makes the turn to the right and heads North. Don`t trust tracking charts since we got fooled and slammed by "Charlie" back in 2004. Mother Nature is fickle!.

·
Registered
452 Posts
FEMA says to keep three days of food on hand and I was always like "who don't have three days of food in the house?" He don't. Goes to Wal-Mart every single day.

It really concerns me that he probably isn't the only person that lives like this. You're IQ shouldn't have to be very high to know that you should keep food in your house and if you have kids you NEED to keep food in the house.
I have family that lives like this. The dh goes to the store daily for food. They DO have food in the house, just not whatever they need for that night's dinner. But they also don't have a way to cook if the power goes out. Another family member lives by them and they feed her. And all three are going to get walloped by rain and wind. They are far enough inland, but they most likely will lose power.

They always worry about us, as we're by the gulf, but durn....I have months of food and then some, a propane stove indoors, another one for camping, and we have a gas AND charcoal grill (shoot, we have a camping charcoal grill, too). We're ready if something comes our way....ham radios, a noaa radio, walkie talkies, flashlights and lanterns, water, etc. But they frighten me. They've had winter storms in the past few yrs which took out their power, and all three of them lived in a hotel for a bit. And complained about it. They have a gas fireplace...needs a thermostat....needs propane....but they could've dealt with that yrs ago and stayed home, in their own bed!

Other family could get a ton of rain, which they don't need, as there has been local flooding this summer, but they have gotten more and more ready with every storm that has hit them in the past 8+ yrs. They are wired for a generator to plug into the house. I don't worry about them because they have learned and made changes and used the good brains the Lord gave them to get ready for bad weather that comes. And they aren't preppers at all, but they use common sense!

1 - 20 of 402 Posts