Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Guy Who Does That Thing
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote a harrowing piece on Hurrican Earl today. A true story of survival. Please read it and show your friends and family. You need a Facebook account to read and see everything. Follow the link to see the pictures as well. Here it is:

Like everyone else that survived the harrowing ordeal of Hurricane Earl i am thankful to Allah, praise be his name, to be alive today. I have heard horror story after horror story of traumatic tales of survival and life threatening rescue efforts. Cristin BRAVELY made lunch for tomorrow..... not knowing if tomorrow would ever come. John heroically took his dogs out to go to the bathroom.... and was lucky to drag them back to safety alive. These are just two of the countless stories of perserverance and grit that arose from the wake of Hurricane Earl. In the coming days more are sure to follow as survivors come forth.

Today we pray for those who did not make it and those who lost friends and loved ones to the disaster. Property.... gone. Land.... unuasble. Lives.... shattered. But hope springs eternal! We Masssachusettians are a hearty breed. A strong bunch. We know how to survive disasters. Disasters like the closing of all Ames stores. On that day, many were wondering "Where now will we be able to buy Voits? How can we walk without them?". But we walked. Walmart was there to save our soles & bask us in Faded Glory.

Or disasters like the winter storm of 08. That storm caught all off guard with it's horrendous 1.5 inches of snow, causing backups for miles on all our highways due to the state not being prepared for such a disaster. But we survived the hours of traffic. We survived.

Let me share with you all my survival story:

I bravely drove to work as rain fell apon my grand am. I could hear the drops hitting. It was horrible. But i said to myself, "You can do this! Work needs you!". And so i did. I pulled into work, pushing through 5mph winds and trying not to succumb to the brutal elements. I made the deadly 30 foot walk from my car to the door just barely. I have never been so scared in my life. The coming hours were equally scary. New report after news report of the horrors uccuring around the state. "WE JUST GOT A GUST OF 50mph!!!". "THE WAVES ARE INUNDATING THE COASTLINE! ANY INFANTS SWIMMING IN THIS SURF WOULD SURELY DIE!". It was mentally exhausting to watch. I had to turn it off and watch Discovery Survival shows to try and take my mind off of the natural disaster ravaging the state. I could not help thinking about my children. Were they ok in Norton, where they were getting pounded by misting and sometimes drizzling rain? Light gusts that would surly blow a flag around? I prayed that Allah, blessed be his name, would look after them. And he did. They made it. At around 11 at night, i foolheartedly decided to open the door and check the deteriorating conditions. As i opened the door, a slight breeze blew a leaf towards my face!!! I somehow mustered up the energy to close that door against the force of the gust. A herculean effort on my part. If that leaf were to hit me, i may not be sitting here today. The rest of the night was spent alone....scared.... waiting for this demon storm to pass. And so it eventually did. I am alive and thankful to be here.

But those on Cape Cod and the Vinyard did not escape so easily. The damage is incalcuable. As we speak, the Red Cross is launching a massive recovery effort. Bags of rice and flour are being air dropped onto the hardest hit and most impovershed areas of Marthas Vinyard. The Red Cross is accepting donations and international aid, so please donate what you can. Thanks to the governer Duval Patrick, a state of emergency was declared and the guard was mobilized. That action alone might have saved millions. Bravery beyond words.

I leave you now with pictures of the aftermath. I took these as i left work today. You can see the grass is wet. My car is destroyed by leaves. The ground has debris all over it. A mess.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!...58610&comments&ref=notif&notif_t=note_comment

·
Deplorable bitter clinger
964 Posts
Those of us from Massachusetts are a tough lot, indeed! LOL!!! I enjoyed your account of the storm.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
What a wimp of a storm. I went out and never could find a single rain drop from it. Saw some rain clouds but that was it.

For all it's hype it sure was a let down.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Oh, thank you for the report, we're all might glad you managed to survive and get word out. Those pictures are utterly HORRIBLE! How did you manage to fight off the urge to just give up and cry and shout at the TV crews that things were so bad?

...thanks - I almost peed myself.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Too funny! I have seen reporting like this time and again in Florida. My friend was once taped by a tv crew "buying emgergency supplies" at Home Depot, they just left out the part that they were actually there picking out paint for the back room. Turned out the storm didn't even knock out the power. It's a shame as it only turns people off and many won't listen when a truly dangerous storm hits.

·
Guy Who Does That Thing
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, thank you for the report, we're all might glad you managed to survive and get word out. Those pictures are utterly HORRIBLE! How did you manage to fight off the urge to just give up and cry and shout at the TV crews that things were so bad?

...thanks - I almost peed myself.
The storm was so bad, most tv crews didn't bother to be outside. The danger was too great. The thought of my children needing me is what kept me alive. I willed myself to live. The hardest and most emotional time of my life. The wet grass..........

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
OMG - I was praying for you!!

Thanks for the laughs

I ended up going out for a few beers and burgers with friends - we kept a watch on the trees in front of the bar and would cheer when ever a breeze made the trees out side sway - we didn't cheer much but we did have lots of beer!!

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I took a vacation day Friday just to escape TSHTF in MA

(Actually I had planned to anyway and just followed my original plan.)

But what was interesting was Friday morning when I went to Shaws in Maine as usual (just to load up on food for the long weekend) expecting a full parking lot, crowded aisles, and long checkout lines and the place was emptier than usual. Either the Maine folks were already prepped (doubtful) or they didn't believe the the weather media BS.

·
Take the red pill!!!!
1,301 Posts
I took a vacation day Friday just to escape TSHTF in MA

(Actually I had planned to anyway and just followed my original plan.)

But what was interesting was Friday morning when I went to Shaws in Maine as usual (just to load up on food for the long weekend) expecting a full parking lot, crowded aisles, and long checkout lines and the place was emptier than usual. Either the Maine folks were already prepped (doubtful) or they didn't believe the the weather media BS.
I doubt many prepped, everyone I knew including the ones who did prep just encase looked at the coming event as a joke but cautious due to the lack of info from the news.

I did go to a shaws also noticing it was packed a few days before though....mostly creapy down town folk from my nieghbor hood....note to self dont go at the first of the month at that time of the day again...got sum creapy compliments (shivers feels dirty). they dont make showers hot enough to wash that off!

·
Guy Who Does That Thing
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went to the bank early friday to deposit my check. It was packed full of people withdrawing cash for the upcoming disaster......serious

1 - 20 of 25 Posts