Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that a lot of people on the boards here have included hunting and/or trapping as a significant part of their survival plan. While this makes sense, one has to assume that if food supplies are disrupted for a significant amount of time, EVERYONE will be hunting, even people who have never done it before. There are lots of people who are unprepared, but still have lots of hunting equipment. Even more people have guns and will try to go hunting.

Even if most of these people are unsuccessful, the fact that they are out there trying will make it difficult and dangerous. At best they will kill or scare away most game, but it could be much worse with thousands of hungry, scared people are running around with weapons or setting up traps.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
317 Posts
You will see fifty guns going after one little deer and one hundred fishing poles in a tiny pond..........deers comes to my yard every day.

As soon as my brother gets here from Cuba, in about three months, I'll be buying him four female pigs and one male plus a bunch of chickens.

Also have seeds and a big tiller for him to play with.....all the water that I need by gravity for free.

In other words, hes the farmer........not me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
hunting is alot more than just dumb luck. all those poeple that have never hunted a day in there lifes may try to go hunting. but dont expect them to get much. all they will do is scare the game away, stay away from the ppl and you will be right where the game is.. imho

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Not as a significant part of the plan; not initially at least. As I get better at being self-sufficient, it may increase in importance. As long as it makes sense, I maintain supply links with the mundane world.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
there wont be that many people hunting,,, remember, not that many think ahead as we do they will be sitting there, guns confiscated and scratcing their butts wondering what happened...

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
You will see fifty guns going after one little deer and one hundred fishing poles in a tiny pond..........deers comes to my yard every day.

As soon as my brother gets here from Cuba, in about three months, I'll be buying him four female pigs and one male plus a bunch of chickens.

Also have seeds and a big tiller for him to play with.....all the water that I need by gravity for free.

In other words, hes the farmer........not me.
you really think he is going to buy into that? [email protected]

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
hunting is alot more than just dumb luck. all those poeple that have never hunted a day in there lifes may try to go hunting. but dont expect them to get much. all they will do is scare the game away, stay away from the ppl and you will be right where the game is.. imho
Bingo! Hunting, especially when the animals are stressed, can take a great deal of skill. The animals may change their patterns of movement to stay away from every bumbling idiot with a gun in the woods, but a good hunter will be able to follow these new patterns. Pretty soon the people who don't have the skill will throw up their hands and say "the animals are gone" and leave the woods and we'll have it all to ourselves again.

The people here lived through the Great Depression and I've been told that for the most part Americans went into the cities to find work and help when they lost everything. I've read book by authors with questionable facts that warned all about people flocking to the country when a disaster strikes, yet they provide no facts to support this theory. We see most people heading towards the cities in modern day disasters. Not people who have planned ahead, but the general masses.

So I figure that if I have at least a years worth of supplies tucked away I can outlast the few city folk who think that just because they have a gun they are a great hunter. Once they become discouraged and head back to the place they feel the most comfortable, nature will once again resume it's day to day living.

Tury

·
Accuracy is Final
507 Posts
Hunting is part of my plan. Elk, deer, antelope and rabbit are plenty here. I am far enough from major poulation centers, 300 miles, so I doubt too many people will travel that far to hunt. I returned a couple weeks ago from an elk hunt and I saw plenty of hunters out and they were ALL road hunting. Not one single person as much as hiked up a hill to glass. If it is that way now days I will have nothing to worry about other then more road hunters. Those willing to get off the beaten path will find game.

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
My in-laws and i were just talking a bout this last night hunting and trapping are great ways to provide food ...but the game will not last long ...i know in my area they will last about ohh....4 months till there all gone PA has the most hunters in all the US ... 1.2 million .

My grandmother was telling us back in the Great Depression ppl were hunting 24/7 all hours of the night u could hear them blating away....said after about a few months the shooting stopped....took almost 10 years for the game to build up it's population again

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Trapping can lead to adverse results possibly. Example...... A trapper sets out his traps. Another party stumbles on to them, and takes what isnt thier's because they are hungry, dont know how to hunt, and didnt prepare.
What's to stop this party from setting up an ambush on our trapper, or following him back to his retreat?

Opinions?

11B

·
Registered
42 Posts
there wont be that many people hunting,,, remember, not that many think ahead as we do they will be sitting there, guns confiscated and scratcing their butts wondering what happened...
I tend to agree with you. Most people I know don't really seem to think we could get into a SHTF type of situation and are generally unprepared. Even for situations like a power outage that may last a few days instead of a few hours, people aren't prepared. Thankfully, we're just paranoid enough to make sure we are ready.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,558 Posts
I plan on hunting, fishing, and trapping. I think there will be a lot of very inexperienced people stumbling through the woods trying to hunt in my area so I am working on preparing for just such occasions. I am saving up for body armor and a Kevlar helmet. I think with a bunch of idiots running around in the woods trying to shoot something for food, they will end up shooting at whatever moves and I want to have as much protection from them as possible. I am also stocking up and compression bandages, quick-clot, and getting a field surgical kit, just in case the body armour fails or I get shot in an uncovered area.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i as well dont see this as being a problem. as an active outdoorsman i can report that the majority of the hunters that i see out in the field return empty handed, just because you are hunting for food does not mean that it will fall into your lap, it is a skill that must be developed and honed...just like fishing; it is called fishing for a reason, if you left with a cath everytime it would be called catching.

in regards to trapping yielding better results, again yes that is true but for those that are experienced and have developed and honed the skills...the unskilled can set trap after trap after trap after trap and will be lucky to eat at all.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Seems like a lot of you are using what you see now as a gauge as to what it will be like if the SHTF. Folks now don't have to hunt or fish to survive. They can go home and stop at the Piggly Wiggly and buy a steak or trout. Those people that didn't bother venturing to far off the road will be hiking up and down the hills trying to find any game. As far as trapping goes, it isn't brain surgery, most folks will pick it up in no time. My first time trapping was during a desert survival course, I set up a snare along an obvious game trail and on the second day I had a rabbit. I've since trapped a few other times for squirrel and rabbit and have been pretty successful.

Of course if you have the capability make yourself self reliant with your own garden and livestock.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you came home with meat every time you went out it would be called "killing" not "hunting"
im not saying these people are going to be successful, but there will be thousands of them out there, shooting at anything that moves, at each other, setting up traps.

It will make it much more difficult to hunt as effectively, or as safely.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
im not saying these people are going to be successful, but there will be thousands of them out there, shooting at anything that moves, at each other, setting up traps.

It will make it much more difficult to hunt as effectively, or as safely.
Why would they be out there hunting if they weren't successful? Why would people waste the energy over and over again hunting if they couldn't get anything?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts