Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:Hey guys,

Was wondering if you could give a few tips on hunting Deer. I live in the Greenville,SC area and trying my hand at deer hunting. I have a Marlin 336 and all the gear, books and accessories. Just wanted a few tips on how too be successful before the season kicks off. :D:

·
Registered
806 Posts
One of the most important things to learn is - no fidgeting and twitching
Whether you are sitting still trying to ambush a passing deer, or walking trails and edges, those depend on your terrain and hunting pressure. But no matter what, if your hand flashes white movement as you scratch an ear or wave at a pretty sunset, its a panic alarm for the deer.
Move deliberately and calmly.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Deer see movement really well, they can smell much better, and they hear well. So, stay downwind, or hunt into the wind, stay still and be quiet. Those are the basics.
Scout the area, look for tracks, scat. scrapes, etc. and figure out where to be when the season opens.
Expect a bit of buck fever the first time, take a deep breath and aim at a single spot on the deer, not just at the whole deer.

GreyOne

·
Southern Man
562 Posts
Plan on spending a lot of time in the woods. Most good deer hunters live in the woods. It's a game of patience. Don't expect to walk in, and five hours later bag your first buck.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
See if there is a hunters ed. class given buy your SC DNR. In ky. anyone can attend it's for younger hunter's but you can learn a lot from one. Read everything but like the folk's said time in the wood's. Good luck but watch out it's addicting.

·
StripMall Samurai
149 Posts
Enjoy your time in the woods!.. Don't get down on yourself if u don't get one right away.. It takes sum people years to kill a deer.... The "fun" of the hunt ends once it drops.. From there its had work guttin' and draggin'....

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have got my buck the last few years by heading out at the first really cold front that hits my area. If it gets cold and wet I will take off work a few days and hit the brush.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is something my grandfather taught me when I first started hunting 20 years ago...

When walking up hill, go very slowly. Many times your quarry is just over the top of the hill. As you approach the top of the hill, hesitate, 'peer' over, hesitate, take another step, repeat.

It works. If you go flow enough many times the animal on the other side of the hill won't hear you coming and you'll get a shot at it.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Bring toilet paper. You'll get to smelling that fresh woodland scent while sitting on your throne in the trees and sooner or later you'll get the urge to take a dump.

Don't get tied up trying to purchase all the latest tech products for hunting. Most are not needed for modern gun hunts. Most of the time you can go out in stinky blue jeans, sit on the edge of a field in a lawn chair, and see just as much as if you want wacko buying a bunch of crap. Sure some stuff can be useful, but if you've never been, dont' think you have to max out a credit card to get out there.

Be very familiar with your rifle, don't take stupid shots that have a good chance of just maiming the deer. Every shot taken should be one that you KNOW you can drop with one shot. Study the anatomy of a deer so you know where to hit. The perfect shot is broadside, just like an inch behind the shoulder muscle, slightly down from the center of the body.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pack extra socks. No knowing when they could come in handy as mittens, a headband, cleaning rag or if you forgot your toilet paper they could work in that situation.

Apart from that go to the area you are going to hunt BEFORE season starts and get a good idea of the land. Notice where animals lay and watering sources are. Take note of landmarks and good look out points.

Before taking your shot look what lies behind your target. Is there another deer? Is it an open clearing with no backdrop in sight? Be aware of other hunters. Not that you might shoot them, but because they will shoot you.

During your shot take time to get stable. Use a shooting stick if you wiggle like a twig in the wind. I personally use a Bipod that attaches to my barrel when possible. Take your time.

Good luck! Take pictures of your quarry.

·
GO Dawgs
1,395 Posts
Another good use for toilet paper is to use it to mark blood trails,just tear off a small piece and place it next to a drop of blood. It makes it easier to go back to if you lost the trail. Ditto on all the hunting gadgets out there,most are useless and a waste of money,improving your hunting skills will do more than any gadgets out there. The best thing is to find a mentor to show you the ropes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts