Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Smile..wait for the flash
1,383 Posts
What gun holds 5 rounds? I agree it looks so blurry, there is no way to tell from pic.
My Ruger American ($300 at Fleet Farm) is four +1. Looks like a hunting rifle, bolt action, but the stock is black. Don't know if they make a simulated wood looking version.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Some discussion on another forum where they thought his rifle might be a Mosin 38/44. I'm not saying that .22LR won't kill, but you would get much more grievous wounds with a 30 caliber. It will be interesting as the facts come out (if they're not buried in the media because the shooting doesn't fit the liberal narrative). Still, it's pretty tragic that five were killed even if from a simple .22LR rifle.

ROCK6

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Witness description says it sounded like balloons popping. That doesn't scream Moison or some other hi powered mil rifle.
Although .22 seems small for the body count in contrast, unless he's either a crack shot or they bled out before help arrived.
Pistol caliber carbine like an Marlin Camp 9?
That would explain the low noise and it looks like a Marlin 60 from the top view. 10 round mag also.
I dunno. Only pic I see is not that clear.

No matter who or what, prayers for the victims and their families.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
They said they heard Four Tops and then seven or eight more shots. Made me think it was a four-round hunting rifle not sure of the caliber. The people hearing it or inside rooms and outside of that store with all of the clothing glass and ambient noise you would have a reduction in sound I think. I'm sure when they get around to having a media briefing someone will mention the caliber. It does just seem very lethal or like someone else said a remarkably good shot.

Makes me think of an article I read years ago when Australia band all of their " assault weapons" and then realized everybody was buying larger caliber more lethal weapons to replace them.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,550 Posts
A well placed Mini-Mag or Stinger from a 16" barrel, at close range, is surely lethal. A 7.62x54R sounds like a canon going off in confined space, as would most high-powered rounds.
Remington (597) makes a Semi-auto in .22 WMR that has a similar look.

·
Ephemerally here
6,875 Posts
Goblin walked in past vid, no rifle visible. Recovered rifle from???? Shot up folks at Cosmetics counter, after (reportedly) calling out a nominal ( unsure these days!) female name. Left the Rifle on the Counter, and Walked out into the darkness.

·
Awesome
16,463 Posts
it looks kinda like my moist nugget which is an M38 which is a shortened version of the rifle.. but if it was that you would be able to clearly see the unfinished metal bolt.. the metal was all black

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
A Marlin Model 60 has a cylinder tube magazine not a detachable one. Would be difficult to cut down the model 60 without cutting down the tube as well. To much work to get the spring loader to fit right. And a 10/22 is already fairly short in comparison to the model 60.

·
Just some dude on the net
2,327 Posts
I just want to point out that according to the statistics the .22 is one of the more commonly used calibers in violent crime, normally up there with the top three depending on the source of information. This doesn't mean it's effective persay but that is available and commonly used. Also it has a good track record for killing folks at close range with well placed shots: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

I personally plan to stick with larger bullets for self defense, but the .22 shouldn't be discounted. It can kill same as anything else that pokes holes in ones body.

I think the rifle in the grainy hard to see picture looks like a 10/22 but honestly it's hard to tell and i'll wait for more info to come out.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
The surveillance cameras are junk! Looking again, it does look like a 10/22 with a 25rd magazine. If the witnesses said they heard more of a pop...pop...pop, that would lean more towards a .22LR. An as mentioned, with some stout Stingers or other high-velocity rounds, they can be pretty damaging at close range.

The sad thing is that killing five people with a regular "hunting" rifle just doesn't fit the biased media narrative and the whole story is falling to the back pages. It doesn't help that the guy is possibly Hispanic or of Arabic descent and not some conservative, white male with a Trump for Pres T-shirt:xeye:

ROCK6

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
I think he fired more than 5 shots, but still, 5 kills with a .22lr is not very likely, I'm betting it was a centerfire rifle caliber.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
The news article says 18 shots were heard in the rukuss.

That is at least two shots per victum.

2 shots of .22 LR into a regular person is a killer. Even though it might be slow death.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,550 Posts

Attachments

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Left the rifle on the counter?

1. We'll get a definitive answer sooner or later. Why speculate now?

2. Fingerprints. Of course if he's never been 'printed, those won't help to find him.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts