Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know if anybody hunts or has elk with .45 Colt before. It's urgent, as I am looking for a hunting gun. The gun I maybe want is the H&R 45/410 Survivor.
I also am taking in hunting rifle recomendations. But I have some standards: 1.It should be multicaliber, without any modification, or as little as possible.
2.The calibers it takes have to be powerful enough for elk, but one caliber light enough for rabbits.
3.As close to $250 as possible, can be used.
4.Not semi-auto, prefferably bolt action, lever action, or single barrel.
5.Just all in all a good rifle to hunt with.

Thanks for any help. I need it as soon as possible, and any info would be great.

·
Barely surviving
103 Posts
A 12ga slug would work better and be cheaper but I do know people who have hunted elk with a .45 Colt rifle and it did just fine. It's a pretty old round and it's been used for just about everything. As long as you don't go trying to make mile long shots or anything, it should work, although it's a pretty uncommon round for elk and there are much better choices out there.

As far as which gun to get, I would probably go with an H&R for the price range you listed. I know at one point either H&R or Rossi made a single shot .45 Colt with a long barrel like the Buffalo Classic.

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
It is doable. But you will need very accurate short range shots only. Practice a lot when you get it. And get the hottest .45 Colt ammunition you can get. I wouldn't try anything over 50 yards, if that. And you will need to hit the vital area the first time to take it down, or you'll be chasing the thing all over the country.

If you want an inexpensive all around hunting rifle, and don't need shotgun capability the H&R Synthetic Handi-Rifle single shot in .30-'06, with a couple of .30 Carbine and .32 ACP chamber adapters to take big game, medium game, and small game. Just won't do birds on the wing. http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/handiRifle.asp about 1/3 of the way down the page.

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com...pen-stock-blue-finish-scope-base-p-23579.html I'd shop around some for a used one, or simply a better price for a new one.

And the adapters: http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

From 71 grain FMJ to 220 grain soft point in one gun.

Rethink the .45 Colt for elk. It is really iffy.

Just my opinion.

·
Banned
27 Posts
If you are dead set on a revolver, I would go with a 357 or 44 Mag instead, in a Ruger Blackhawk. I would just as soon go with a Glock Long Slide 40 or 10mm tho, if I had to use a pistol less than 44 mag.

For a cheap rifle, there are many choices. I would get a high quality used bolt action before I considered one of those cheapo "Handi-rifles" from H&R or Rossi and others.

·
If I kill I eat it
938 Posts
Jerry knows his stuff given your requirements I would go with a handi rifle in 45.70.The problem I see is that with the amount of money you want to spend you might be disappointed in not being able to shoot more than 100 yrds.If I was hunting elk I would not want to be you and see a bull of a lifetime at 200yds away and not be able to kill it.Dont forget the scope should or will cost at least 200 for anything slightly decent.I would hate to see you be under gunned.Please keep the questions coming and dont worry we can figure it out here or nobody can.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,832 Posts
In the real world.......I'd give you maybe a 10% chance at actually retrieving an elk

Minimum caliber would be a 270 or a 30-06. With those you need good shot placement. With a 45 LC, you need near perfect shot placement-rarely happens in the field and the conditions you might find yourself elk hunting in

Yeah......maybe someone done it somewhere. Yet how many animals have run off and died due to improper cartridge/rifle/shooter.....you never hear about those!

If you are depending on feeding yourself or your family, you need to increase your odds at shooting and retrieving your game. Part of that begins with the proper tools for the job.

Keep your 45/410 for the smaller game.

Check your game laws regarding cartridges allowed for elk!

·
I drive a compact car
590 Posts
The areas elk are hunted, the small game is usually grouse, which can be headshot with a rifle in some states (like mine.) I'd go with a 30-30 lever or an inexpensive bolt gun in .308 or .30-06 but that's just me. Either would be a much more effective big-game killer than a .45 long colt out of a dual-purpose rifle....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is doable. But you will need very accurate short range shots only. Practice a lot when you get it. And get the hottest .45 Colt ammunition you can get. I wouldn't try anything over 50 yards, if that. And you will need to hit the vital area the first time to take it down, or you'll be chasing the thing all over the country.

If you want an inexpensive all around hunting rifle, and don't need shotgun capability the H&R Synthetic Handi-Rifle single shot in .30-'06, with a couple of .30 Carbine and .32 ACP chamber adapters to take big game, medium game, and small game. Just won't do birds on the wing. http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/handiRifle.asp about 1/3 of the way down the page.

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com...pen-stock-blue-finish-scope-base-p-23579.html I'd shop around some for a used one, or simply a better price for a new one.

Just my opinion.
Well I don't want to have to buy multiple of those gor everytime I'm going to switch calibers. $20 is too much if I want to alwayschange calibers. But thanksfor the idea, time for more research

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
FWIW...... The world record bull elk (typical) was taken in 1968 by Alonzo Winters, using a Savage model 99 rifle chambered in 308 Winchester.

OP:

Look into a single shot Rossi for your budget, and for what it seems you are looking for. Multiple tubes for a wide range of rimfire, centerfire, shotgun, and muzzle loaders to choose from.

11B

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
would be hard pressed.

I need to know if anybody hunts or has elk with .45 Colt before. It's urgent, as I am looking for a hunting gun. The gun I maybe want is the H&R 45/410 Survivor.
I also am taking in hunting rifle recomendations. But I have some standards: 1.It should be multicaliber, without any modification, or as little as possible.
2.The calibers it takes have to be powerful enough for elk, but one caliber light enough for rabbits.
3.As close to $250 as possible, can be used.
4.Not semi-auto, prefferably bolt action, lever action, or single barrel.
5.Just all in all a good rifle to hunt with.

Thanks for any help. I need it as soon as possible, and any info would be great.
would be hard pressed with your spec.s. elk is pushing it. can be done, but i would be really uncomfortable. puma use to have a lever gun in .454 casull shoots 45 colt too. :) be safe.

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
Well I don't want to have to buy multiple of those gor everytime I'm going to switch calibers. $20 is too much if I want to alwayschange calibers. But thanksfor the idea, time for more research
Those chamber adapters are reusable. A pair of each will last you a lifetime of hunting and shooting.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Single shot rifle in 308 would be better for the price. 45LC only excels when it can be loaded hot, and this requires a sturdy framed gun like a ruger SA or Contender.

Other choices:

Savage Edge in 30-06

6.5x55 Swede Mauser

Enfield 30-06

Mauser 8mm

Mossberg 500 with slugs

It's the $250 limit that is going to get you on this one.

·
Registered
617 Posts
.45 Colt is not adequate for elk. Most states have a minimum caliber for big game. Even .30-30 is marginal, although many elk have been killed with it. Have you any experience hunting at all? Or shooting? Your criteria would indicate you don't. As 2Wheel says, your budget is low unless you can find a used rifle. I would not go smaller than .270, .308, or .30-06. The elk is noble animal that deserves a quick death, not wounded with an inadequate caliber used by an inexperienced "hunter."

·
Banned
27 Posts
You are right except in the instance of very close range, 100 feet or less with a pistol, and less than 100 yards with a rifle. If I was the OP, I would save my money and get a commonly available rifle round, like 223, 308, 30/06. Yes, 223 is plenty for elk. I've taken moose with a 357 Mag. It's all about shot placement and having a decent, accurate firearm.

.45 Colt is not adequate for elk. Most states have a minimum caliber for big game. Even .30-30 is marginal, although many elk have been killed with it. Have you any experience hunting at all? Or shooting? Your criteria would indicate you don't. As 2Wheel says, your budget is low unless you can find a used rifle. I would not go smaller than .270, .308, or .30-06. The elk is noble animal that deserves a quick death, not wounded with an inadequate caliber used by an inexperienced "hunter."

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts

Just my opinion.

Absolutely but...if that is all you have at the time, it gives "shot placement" a whole new meaning...not saying that it cannot be done though.:thumb::cool:

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts
would be hard pressed with your spec.s. elk is pushing it. can be done, but i would be really uncomfortable. puma use to have a lever gun in .454 casull shoots 45 colt too. :) be safe.

I'd be really uncomfy too even if it ws all I had at the time....nail-biter at the very least but is you're hungry....I'd wager that you could do it.:thumb::cool:

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Using a .45 Colt for elk is irresponsible, IMHO. If you can't afford the right gun for the game, wait until you can. You want the equivalent of one vehicle to act a a pickup truck and a lawn mower. It ain't gonna happen without a LOT of compromise.

Look at pawnshops and in classified ads. Get a big game rifle, then hunt elk. Then buy a cheap .22 or single-shot shotgun for rabbits.

·
styer sniper
706 Posts
Rossi trifecta has a .22, 20ga. And .243 barrels. Good little kits. I have thought about getting one. My nephew has the .22/ .410 version and it is a decent little weapon.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I was going to suggest a TC Contender, but they're a little more than it seem you want to spend.
Lately even the barrels have gotten expensive at $200 a pop (if you're lucky.)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts